Light-O-Rama Forums

Can cosmic color bulb strands be cut?

darrenv

Can I cut the excess off a CCB and it function normally? We have a bunch of spots on a large building that I'm having a hard time find hiding spots for the excess bulbs at the end of a run. We are running them in dmx mode if that makes any difference.

Can I cut the excess off a CCB and it function normally? We have a bunch of spots on a large building that I'm having a hard time find hiding spots for the excess bulbs at the end of a run. We are running them in dmx mode if that makes any difference.

Facing the same issue here. I don't have the guts to cut them and risk the strings not working and on top of that voiding the warranty. I was just going to zip tie my remaining bulbs and wrap them in black plastic.

It does not do any good to the warranty, but yes you can cut off excess. Be sure to waterproof the end.

Thanks folks. There are at least 2 spots that leaving excess isn't a clean option relative to daylight visual. LOR also says we can cut them but it will void the warranty. This seems counter productive to me. Not sure I understand why chopping the end off - if there is no issue with doing that - would void the warranty.*shrug* i may give it a shot and see what happens :)

Thanks folks. There are at least 2 spots that leaving excess isn't a clean option relative to daylight visual. LOR also says we can cut them but it will void the warranty. This seems counter productive to me. Not sure I understand why chopping the end off - if there is no issue with doing that - would void the warranty.*shrug* i may give it a shot and see what happens :)

Let us know how it goes. I would love to do it.

For what it is worth, I just had a CCB string with a bad pixel that I discovered during testing that has never even been outside of my garage. LOR sent me a brand new string, no questions asked, but if I had cut them, I would have been a little upset at myself.

Your warranty is void because we are unable to return a bad string to our manufacturer for credit if you have cut it.  

Good point DevMike. I guess if you have enough bad strands, returning them to the manufacturer is worth the effort. We import a lot of product and have so few bad items that it's not worth our time/money to return them. Thanks for clarifying. Most importantly I just wanted to make sure the strands will work as expected if we cut the ends off.

Thanks everybody. I think we'll be cutting the ends off 3 strands out of the 50 we are using here. May do the same thing on another display were we are using about the same quantity of CCB and have 3-4 spots that need to be cleaned up. For us, the cost of having to pay for replacements - if needed - is worth it in exchange for the clean install.

• The topic was locked