Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 help please

zanclus

Hi  I  have  an Sandevices E682 board that Jim  was  so  kind to replace  after  I  had a board go  p in smoke all of a sudden.  What I  world  like  to  do is be  able  to run the board off a computer  that  will not be  on  my   home network .  I have the E682  set   at the moment  to  a IP  that  falls  within my  routers IP range  so I  could  test  it , and  everything works  just  fine. All pixel strings  run exactly as I want  them.  I would like  to  connect the  Board to my Desktop which  is not  connected  to the  internet and  run it  from  that  computer.  Can someone please explain  what  I  must   do  to  get it configured? My desktop  has no Wifi  , just an Ethernet port and  is impossible to  access the  router  from my workshop.  it is running  windows 7, 64 bit. Thanks for  any  insight  on this.

I've met Mr. St. John and can certainly say first hand that he is an awesome guy, and is always true to his word and his product.

I have an E682 and a couple of E6804's as well and I too wanted to keep the lighting devices off of my home computing network.  It would work fine otherwise, but I just didn't want the lighting traffic weighing down my home network.  

My solution was to simply get a second DHCP capable router and keep a physical separation between the networks. They're inexpensive especially if you score a used one.  My alternate router is programmed to issue IP addresses for another IP range to ensure I don't mix the two.    I use two computers for lighting - my desktop computer is for programming production. It has two NIC ports and I simply disable one and enable the other whenever I want to switch back and forth.   For my display laptop, I just have it set-up for the lighting network.  

If you have a single NIC port on your desktop, just simply physically connect it to the desired network and restart the computer.   There are faster ways like a command line ipconfig/renew command, but unless you're compute savvy, just reboot every time you change networks and it should work just fine.  

Good Luck and happy lighting.    

I agree with Bizywk that finding a cheap router is the more fool-proof way to go, but it you really don't want to do this I think all you need is a "crossover" Ethernet cable. If you have the tools you can make one yourself or simply buy one. You would probably have to set both devices to an ip address within the same subnet, for example

Sandevice 192.168.1.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

home computer 192.168.1.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

What was said above.

The following response assumes you only intend to use one SanDevice.  If you are going to use more than one you would need to add a switch between your computer and the other devices.

I did however find that I was able to directly connect my Windows 7 machine directly to the E682 without a crossover cable.  If you are interested in the gory details of how I did it.  Apologies if there is too much confusing detail. 

Connect the Cat5 between the computer and the E682. 

The E682 comes programmed with the IP address of 192.168.1.206.  If you did not change it you can set an address on your PC that will communicate directly with the E682.  Here is one way to set that address:

Click on Start -->: Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings   Right click on the Local Area Connection and select Properties.  Single click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.  Click the radio button next to "Use the following IP address.  In the IP address type in 192.168.1.10 (the 10 is an arbitrary number it could be any number between 1 and 255 that is not identical to the last number on the E682 IP address)    Hit the tab key (it will set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 )and click OK.  You have now set an IP address for the PC. 

You should be able to reach the E682 by bringing up your browser, either stop the page from loading or let it time out and enter http://192.168.1.206 

If you EVER want to use this machine on your network you are going to have to go through this same process only that time click on "Obtain IP address automatically" and then OK

• Like 1

What the heck is a 3 way splitter.

It appears that you do not need a crossover cable. I am thinking that the netwiz or what ever Jim called the Ethernet device on his boards is capable of working with a patch cord from either a computer or a switch/hub/router.

What was said above.

The following response assumes you only intend to use one SanDevice.  If you are going to use more than one you would need to add a switch between your computer and the other devices.

I did however find that I was able to directly connect my Windows 7 machine directly to the E682 without a crossover cable.  If you are interested in the gory details of how I did it.  Apologies if there is too much confusing detail. 

Connect the Cat5 between the computer and the E682. 

The E682 comes programmed with the IP address of 192.168.1.206.  If you did not change it you can set an address on your PC that will communicate directly with the E682.  Here is one way to set that address:

Click on Start -->: Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings   Right click on the Local Area Connection and select Properties.  Single click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.  Click the radio button next to "Use the following IP address.  In the IP address type in 192.168.1.10 (the 10 is an arbitrary number it could be any number between 1 and 255 that is not identical to the last number on the E682 IP address)    Hit the tab key (it will set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 )and click OK.  You have now set an IP address for the PC. 

You should be able to reach the E682 by bringing up your browser, either stop the page from loading or let it time out and enter http://192.168.1.206 

If you EVER want to use this machine on your network you are going to have to go through this same process only that time click on "Obtain IP address automatically" and then OK

I will try this in the morning. I appreceate the help, I'm not a network guy. Thanks for the detailed instructions Bassis.

Ok I  had a  few  moments  this evening   decided  to  try  to  set  up  the   Computer and  E682. I am  pleased  to  say  that  following  basis21b's  detailed  instructions I have  achieved  my  goal nad  now  can   operate   the  controller without  using  my  Wifi network. I thank you for the  help it is People  like you all  who make this hobby fun for  everyone.  I have  run sequences with no   problems,  everything is  quite  simple  once  you "get the  hang of  it" . Thanks again!!!!

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone.

I could use some help....

I have CCR strips from Ray Wu. I will be buying the San E682, but don't have that yet.

I am starting to sequence my house CCR tree etc.

Adding a lor CCR strip in sequence editor is easy, but I have no idea how to add CCR's into my sequence editor if it will be controlled by an E682.

1) add device 

2) ?  DMX? 

No idea how to cut and paste my 12 CCR sequence into that mess

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

First, don't call them CCR's...the hardware gods from LOR will strike you down...LED Strips, either smart or dumb....

Second, you are on the right track, in the manual   http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/3.11.2/LORHelp.pdf  start at page 330 thru 340, walks you right thru the process.

With 12 strips, it won't be horrible experience, but a bit time consuming...ItsmebobO has a website  http://itsmebob.com/SD.html  that has an RGB converter with a couple of video's to walik you thru how to do it.