Light-O-Rama Forums

No LED

chadh

Hello everyone,
I just recieved my DMX contoller today, and when I plug it in using the USB RS485 I do not get any light from the LED or any response from the hardware utility. No steady or flashing light. I have all drivers loaded for the USB and have tried it on my sequencing computer and my show computer, but it still does not work. Does anyone have any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Chad

chadh wrote:

Hello everyone,
I just recieved my DMX contoller today, and when I plug it in using the USB RS485 I do not get any light from the LED or any response from the hardware utility. No steady or flashing light. I have all drivers loaded for the USB and have tried it on my sequencing computer and my show computer, but it still does not work. Does anyone have any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Chad

Sure seems like either a power problem or a bad controller. You've probably already done this, but I'd suggest trying to confirm working RS485 by plugging into a regular LOR controller - if the same RS485 and the same cat5 cable work for your LOR controller (LED steady, hardware utility will control lights) then you unplug the cat5 from the LOR and right into the iDMX - not working would seem to be the iDMX itself bad. Another thought would be to just connect RS485-->cat5-->LOR controller-->cat5-->iDMX controller. Oh, assuming you have, but trying both cat5 inputs on the iDMX just to make sure one connection isn't bad.

Good luck! These sure are cool - I feel in awe using it, kinda like when I opened our first Atari system as a kid at Christmas and played my first non-pong game.

I haven't had a chance to test it with my other controllers yet, due to a lack of time and all the rain, but maybe I will have a chance tomorrow. I have tried both cat5 slots and neither will work. However I hope I can figure it out soon because it seems like it will do exactally what I want it to.

Chad

If you have a USB485, there will be no power source for the iDMX-1000 unless you have a controller also attached. A USB485B is required if there is no controller.

Yes, sorry i misquoated the model number, i do have the B version with the power booster and I still do not get power to it. Am i thinking correctly that this should power it? Or am I still missing something?

Chad

Alright, well I just tried connecting it to the controllers and I did get the LED to light up, so now on to fiddle more with the computer. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chad

chadh wrote:

Alright, well I just tried connecting it to the controllers and I did get the LED to light up, so now on to fiddle more with the computer. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chad

Chad,

This sounds more like an issue with the USB485B than an issue with the iDMX-1000... It sound like the USB485B is not providing power... Are you using the same CAT5 cables (It could be a cable issue)....

If you cannot get the USB485B to power your iDMX then send an email to support@lightorama.com and let them know that you need a replacment USB485B

Dan

I checked the idmx to make sure it worked by plugging it into one of my other computer, however I could not plug the controllers into my computer to see if it was sending signals to my 16d's. I will try that on Monday, because it is the first time I will have a chance. It worked perfectly last year, so it could just be the power on the usb not working.

Zman thanks for you help, but I am not getting any lights on the LED so I don't think we have the same issue and yes Dan i was using the same cat5 cable so it couldn't be it. But, thanks everyone for the help.

Chad

• The topic was locked