Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling Power to an ECG P2

big_dog_501

Does anyone see a problem with controlling the AC power to a 5VDC power supply used to power an ECG P2 pixel controller from a LOR PC controller output?  I was planning to turn the LOR PC controller port on at the beginning of a sequence and turn it off at the end of the sequence.  Is there any problem with powering the ECG P2 on and off in this manner?  Does anyone know how long it takes to power on the ECG P2 before it can start controlling pixels?  I would expect some delay at the start of the sequence but how much?  Since the ECG P2 needs constant power how does everyone else handle this?  Do you have it on a separate timer that starts at the beginning of the evening’s show and turns off when the show is done for the night?

I leave power on to all of my controllers. I think it is like 10 PC controllers, 2 of the DC controllers and this year I will be adding my E6804 controller. I firmly believe two things. One power supplies and that includes the ones built on the PC controller boards will surge when first turned on ( aka plugged in). And the DC power supplies are really bad for surging when power is applied. This surge can and I have seen it do it. Can burn out the power supply or whats down stream. Dont happen often. But when it comes to my display I aint willing to see which evening it might happen. And I mention there is a second reason. I believe that the heat given off by the transformer helps keep moisture at bay and might help keep away any chance of condensation shorting out something on the board. So far 4 years and no problem.

I agree with Max - pretty much for the same reasons too.  Leave them powered.  I leave mine up all the time (year round).

There will be some delay on start up like around 5 seconds. For me my whole show was turned on and off by one switch, so im one of those that powers down all my controllers when the show isnt running.

There isnt really any harm with taking either direction, each one has there pros and cons

Last year I purchased 2 digital timer power strips. 5 minuets before my show started the power strips would come on and power up all my DC stuff, ECG-P2's and ECG-P12's, FM transmitter, RGB tune to sign etc. 5 mins after the show ended every night they would power everything down. Worked like a charm. ;)

Great idea - I may be able to use the pool pump timer for that since I use the pool sub panel to power the lights anyway... The pool guys where just greatly confused by 8 breakers and a ton of outlets around it :-)

Thanks for the input.  I have used a timer in the past for my tune to sign, but sometimes in wet conditions it would trip a breaker and then I would have to manualy reset it.   

Thinking back on it now I had 6 350w 5v power supplies, my tune to sign, and my FM transmitter all hooked to 2 of those timers. I cant find the exact model I bought last year but it looks a lot like this one......

http://www.amazon.com/Globe-Electric-2450001-Outlet-Digital/dp/B0071KSMSY

Since the show ends later on Fri and Sat I could set it to kick off later those 2 days. I never had much luck with those round clock looking timers from the big box stores. Seemed they always got out of line after a few days but was very happy with the digital strips. They have a watch battery in them to control the timer so I didn't have to worry about power outages messing it up etc. Set it and never touched them again last year.

Pulled them out of the totes today and they still have the timer set on them from last years show schedule ;)