Light-O-Rama Forums

Streaming Music

habmann

So this is my first year to LOR and I'm putting my display together in the next couple of weeks.

I've already got a FM transmitter to handle broadcasting music to people passing by that have radios. It's occured to me that most people walking by won't have a radio, so I'd like to if possible stream the music to go with the show online for those people that have smartphones etc. 

Is anyone streaming the music online to go with their show? I've tried doing this with a winamp plugin but there's a lag (30s - 1min) between the music playing on the show computer and the music playing online.

This isn't something that is an absolute must, but my inner techie thought it would be a cool thing to do.

I have streamed music in the past - not for my show but to pretty much listen to my songs on the go. I have used windows media services and windows media encoder. I have also used VLC for streaming.

The big issue about it is the delay you introduce. The live stream will usually be a few seconds behind so it would never be in sync with the lights. Also if you play on multiple devices you will get different delays...

Last year I also tried to feed the music into my security camera system, even there the sound was off by a bit.

Not sure if you can set up speakers around your display, that is really the only choice to keep it in sync with the lights...

I don't see how you could do it through the "cell data" network without delays (as viennaxmas mentioned), you'd just never be able to sync up the lights and music. Perhaps you could create a web site that would stream the music "live" and allow people to connect to your Wi-Fi network (you'd probably want to create a dedicated network for this) or maybe there's some kind of blue tooth device that allows many simultaneous pairings.

• The topic was locked