Light-O-Rama Forums

Extending a CCR

Stacks

I've searched the forums high and low and I'm still a bit confused on extending a CCR.  If someone could answer these questions it would be much appreciated:

1. Is it a good idea to extend a ribbon or just put it on its own controller?  I would think it is much easier to program an extended ribbon if it's all for the same outline.  I am aware that it voids the warranty.

2. From my understanding, extending a CCR would require another power supply.  What kind of power supply would I buy and how does it attach to the ribbon?

3. Has anyone successfully implemented a cheaper ribbon?  $170 is nothing to sneeze at.

Thank you!

When CCRs were first released, I queried extending them. I joined 2 end to end and run the pair from a single controller. I have run in this mode ever since.

Note that when you join in this manner, they have to be set up in the hardware utility. The pair of CCRs still run as 50 pixels total, a limit set by the controller, but each pixel is comprised of 6 RGB bulbs instead of the 3 when the strip is used normally.

Details of my setup and original discussions are given in http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/10274-joining-ccrs-end-to-end/ forum posts.

• The topic was locked