Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Editor

jpohio

Ok, I looked around thru the threads, but didn't see anything on this, unless I missed it... In the show editor (under the musical tab) I have the intro - then a voiceover for show hours - then a couple songs - then another voiceover - a couple more songs... you get the picture. At the end, I have a 'close message' voiceover. My question: Will this close message play at the end of each play cycle? If so, this isn't what I wanted to do, I would like the close message to play only once at the end of evening when the show is done for the night.
Am I missing something or do I have it set up wrong?

From the help file for the show editor

What is a show?

A show is a collection of sequences created with the Sequence Editor. You use the Schedule Editor to schedule shows.
The structure of a show

A show comprises four components:

1. The startup component

2. The musical component

3. The animation component

4. The shutdown component

Each component consists of animation or musical sequences created with the sequence editor. When Light-O-Rama plays a scheduled show, it plays the components in the following order:

1. The startup component is played once.

2. The musical and animation components are played concurrently, for as long as the show is scheduled.

3. The shutdown component is played once.

Each component is optional. For example, you may create a show that consists of only the animation component and a shutdown component.

Note that the duration of a show is not part of the show, but is determined by the Schedule Editor.

So by my reading, what you do is enter the starting sequence, the running sequences and the shutdown sequence into the Show Editor , and the duration of the running is defined by the Shedule Editor.

But I am a newbie, so one of the veterans may correct my reading of the method.:D

That's some good info, thank you! I am still new at this stuff too! :D But I'm quite sure that you can't have a musical sequence in the shutdown component, and the close message would fall under musical. In the mean time, I will keep reading.

Bugger. Well the only way around the no music problem is to create a second show that just contains the shutdown music animation and schedule it immediately after the primary show.

Oops! I was wrong :D...you can have a musical sequence in the shutdown component.
Without ever having done this before and not being able to see how anyone else does it, I guess I will have to use the "trial & error" method to see what works and/or what I need to change.

jpohio wrote:

Oops! I was wrong :D...you can have a musical sequence in the shutdown component.
Without ever having done this before and not being able to see how anyone else does it, I guess I will have to use the "trial & error" method to see what works and/or what I need to change.

I did it last year with the shutdown component. Worked as advertised. The appropriate voiceover played only at the end of the evening.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Guys,

I didn't use this feature last year, and I have a few questions for anyone that did.

I know from experience that a show will play to completion even if it starts 1 second before the scheduled end of the show.

Q. #1, Does the scheduled shutdown component trump this, or does it start after the last iteration of a show completes?

Q #2. Is there a limit on the length of the shutdown sequence?

Q #3. This one is an opinion question... Do you use this to tell folks the show is over, or what is your intent with this component.

I was satisfied with the way the show player worked for me while not using the startup and shutdown events but I can see how they could be used to enhance the schedule.

Thanks for listening... (er ah reading)

Jeff

Jeff,

The last show will complete, irregardless of the length of time for your show. As soon as the last song plays, the shutdown sequence kicks in.

Don't really know if there is a limit on the length of time for the shutdown sequence, but I suspect that there is not. My shutdown sequence was basically a voiceover made by the "Demented Elf," telling people that this was the last show of the evening, the times that the shows would run the next day and to have a Merry Christmas. I don't see why you couldn't sequence one last song and play it after the announcements, or whatever.

You won't go wrong with the Demented Elf, very professional. I didn't know what exactly I wanted, but what he developed was outstanding. I just gave him an idea and he took it from there.

Hmm...I was wondering if it could be done that way. Right now I have something in each of the tabs. When the time comes, I'll do my dry-run and see how it goes. If current setup works I'll leave, if not, I'll try just the musical tab.

Jeff Millard wrote:

daniel wrote:
I personally don't use any other part of the show editor besides the musical part, I just order up the announcements and songs how I like it and it works.

That's all I did last year too Daniel. I didn't have any need for the other options.

BTW... I got all my voiceovers from The Demented Elf. In the words of Tony The Tiger...

They're great!

It was exactly what I wanted, and he did a wonderful light test for me that is really cool.

Jeff

Edit: jpohio wrote:
If current setup works I'll leave, if not, I'll try just the musical tab.

No, please stay jp... especially if it works.... ;)

Oops! Thanks for catching my mistake! I could have sworn that I already replied to this, but I guess I didn't. I must be loosing my marbles... or should I say light bulbs :D:D:D

Jeff Millard wrote:

Guys,

I didn't use this feature last year, and I have a few questions for anyone that did.

I know from experience that a show will play to completion even if it starts 1 second before the scheduled end of the show.

Q. #1, Does the scheduled shutdown component trump this, or does it start after the last iteration of a show completes?

Q #2. Is there a limit on the length of the shutdown sequence?

Q #3. This one is an opinion question... Do you use this to tell folks the show is over, or what is your intent with this component.

I was satisfied with the way the show player worked for me while not using the startup and shutdown events but I can see how they could be used to enhance the schedule.

Thanks for listening... (er ah reading)

1) I think you already got your answer, but the sequence playing (not the entire show) will finish, then the shutdown sequences will play in the order they're listed.

2) No idea, but I don't know of one.

3) I use it to say "That's all for tonight, hours are blah blah blah...", etc. Due to neighbor agreements I shut down fairly early (9:30 on weekdays) and there's always a number of cars here that would probably wonder why the lights suddenly went out if the show just ended... Since my X-10 can be flaky, I also have a sequence that loops through my static X-10 channels and sends off events, so things don't get left on all night...

My shutdown sequence is indeed musical... I think a very early version of LOR required animation only, but that was changed very early on when someone asked "why"...

-Tim