Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it Working?

zman

iDMX hooked to the RS485B. Solid Status LED.

Version 1.6.6 Hdwr Util. Just downloaded and installed

DMX Zap Stobe - DMX Unit ID set to 100 (set by me) Has 2 channels 1- Flash rate, 2 - Intensity.

Several things I am not sure about. First, the Hdwr Util can't find the unit at all. I set the range to 240 and no luck. I have 15 LOR Controllers and was going to change this to Controller 16, Hdwr Util states "Unable to Change Unit ID, Please Retry". Even typing in E0 and leaving the range at 240, it still cannot find the unit. No matter what I try to change the ID to, I get that same error.

Assuming default unit of E0, and attemtp to play with the console to get the strobe to flash, Controller type is set to iDMX1000, I have attempted to set the DMX Channel mode both ways. I changed the Strobe to DMX unit id 1 to see if that had any affect, but no go.

I went to the Sequence Editor and changed the channel settings for the zap strobes to E0 - 1 (after I changed the DMX unit id to 1) and try to play it that way and no strobe.

At this point, I am not sure if it's operator error (I have have never been known to be in this space:shock:) or if the unit is not working.

Hi zman - just curious - do you get it working in the hardware utility opening up the console? If you have the solid light on the iDMX, open up console, change to controller type idmx1000, dmx channel mode virtual, and set unit ID to E (right side that would have a number is greyed out). Does this work? Do you have the dipswitches on the back of the DMX Zap Strobe set with 1st dipswitch up (making it the first DMX controller) and the rest down? What model are you using? Maybe I can look at a manual and try to think of some other things to try.

I just got my dmx fixture working on the console, and then added a second and got both of them working, but just on the console tonight, haven't tried anything else yet. Hopefully within a few more days the collective forum experience will grow to the point of endless support for all of us :D

medman

Medman, Thanks for the input. No, I did not get it to work. I had a solid LED, and with the LOR console, was not able to get it to work. I did change the DMX Unit ID to 1 as you indicated (dipswitch). Figured I'd take all the no brainer stuff out. The strobe is a Chauvet ST-800X. I messed with every combination I could think of with the console, to get it to fire off. It can be strobed on AC as well, and that was working, so I know the strobe is functional.

I know LOR is running like mad to get LORII out the door, so I am shelving this till one of them chimes in. I sent them off an email as well. Not too worried, as there is still time to work out the bugs. After Halloween, when I think another thread indicated LORII may be delivered.

In the meantime, keep the ideas coming!

Medman, just an update. Dan had me use the Hdwr Util to change the unit id to 10, set the Max units to 34. The search found it. I was then able to go into the console and bang, once selecting the iDMX1000, ensuring the unit was 10 got my strobe to flash.

I then RESET the unit id back to the default of E0, set the max units to 240, cause E0 is like WAY out there on the chain, and bang all worked OK. Kind of like the unit needed to be kickstarted. Go figure.

Wow. Who would have guess that answer huh? Very happy to hear it is working for you! We'll have to add this solution to the relative "group experience" so a few months from now, when someone is struggling with the same thing, you can pop up as the expert :P

Just in time for Halloween - cool!!! thanks for the follow-up.

• The topic was locked