Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB vs CC?

caniac

Starting next year I want to play with this stuff but need a "jump off" point.  Should I buy the devices I want and then decide how to control them (wide wall washers, floods, etc.).  Don't know that I need to control EVERY pixel with the exception of arches.

there are several choices out there for software and hardware.  if you dont want to control every pixel individually you might look at dumb strips as every pixel in a single strip will be the color that you chose at the same time.. or smart strips where you have the ability to have pixles in the same "strip" different colors at one time.

if you are going to buy "devices" such as floods, wide wall washers, etc - make sure you get the same voltage equipment.  i believe the two most popular (if not the only) are 5v and 12v.  you get people that like both so research to see whats best for you.

then you get to figure out the other fun stuff.. do you want dmx or pixelnet.  do you want diy or falcon christmas or LOR for your controllers.. and on and on..

disclaimer - some stuff above may be slightly wrong as they are my interpretation of what i have learned in my quest for RGB for 2014.

Hey Caniac...Sean from nutcracker has been putting together a spreadsheet to help with cost analysis on the different ways to go.  www.auschristmaslighting,com   go there first, read RGB 101 manual, print it, sleep with it, and then spend your money wisely!  

• The topic was locked