Light-O-Rama Forums

Network finds controller but sequences don't run

Donl1150

A newbie here trying to get my two 16PC-G3 Ver 1.06 controllers functional.  I am using ELL units and they work just fine.  I have daisy chained the two controller units together and both units show a steady green light.  The HWU searches and finds both units.  When I run the output test lights, only unit 1 will operate the lights.  Unit 2 for some reason will not operate.  I assembled both identically.  Any thoughts?  Is it possible the board is dead?  It is brand new.

Don

If the HWU can see both controllers, and can control both of them, you want to check your sequence to make sure you have it configured for Controller 01 and Controller 02.

Thanks but I didn't word that quite right.  Even in the HWU test mode, unit 2 will not turn on the lights.  Unit 1 all 16 channels test ok.

With only controller #2 connected, does the HWU see it? If so, can it control it in test mode?

When connected and the HWU running, does the status light on controller #2 go solid, or remain blinking? (Blinked = bad / Solid = good)

What order do you have the controllers in? Have you tried reversing the order?

Double check the RJ45 (cat5) connectors on the board. Make sure they are not loose, or otherwise damaged.

Check the network cable you have connecting the first and second controller. When both are connected, and the HWU is running, are both lights solid?

With only controller #2 connected, does the HWU see it? Yes

If so, can it control it in test mode? No

When connected and the HWU running, does the status light on controller #2 go solid, or remain blinking? (Blinked = bad / Solid = good)  Solid green

What order do you have the controllers in? Have you tried reversing the order?  Have tried connecting ELL to each.  Same result each time...Unit 1 ok, unit 2 not.  Both have solid green lights 

Double check the RJ45 (cat5) connectors on the board. Make sure they are not loose, or otherwise damaged.  Cat 5 from ELL to board....tight, good shape.  Tried all 3 sockets.....result same.  Light sold green all three times.

Check the network cable you have connecting the first and second controller. When both are connected, and the HWU is running, are both lights solid?  Yes

With only controller #2 connected, does the HWU see it? Yes

If so, can it control it in test mode? No

I'm thinking this is a (or the) problem. If you have it connected to USB adapter <-> Controller 02 (wired, not wireless), and you can't get the channels to respond, there may be something wrong with the controller.

What order do you have the controllers in? Have you tried reversing the order?  Have tried connecting ELL to each.  Same result each time...Unit 1 ok, unit 2 not.  Both have solid green lights 

ELL? Wasn't mentioned in your first post. Changes my thinking a bit. How are you powering the ELL? Are you using a USB485B?

From the docs ...

Power Considerations

1. Any LOR controller can power the RF-V4 as a receiver.

2. Any two LOR controllers can power the RFV4 as a transmitter. Remember to limit the maximum total length of Cat5 cable between the two nearest controllers and the RF-V4 to 25’.

3. A single CTB16DV3 or later based controller can power the RF-V4 as a transmitter. ( V3 = version 3, see the silk-screening on the circuit board to the right of the transformer)

Yes, the ELL is powered by USB485B.  Works fine on Unit 1 and lights the green light on Unit 2 but 2 doesn't test out properly.  Tried Unit 2 with wired USB485 adapter and get same result......solid green light but will not test properly.  Sounds like a bad board?  It is brand new.....do they accept returns?

Have you tried to reset the problem controller?  There should be information on how to do it in the documentation that you received with your controller.

A controller reset usually requires you to...

1.  Unplug the unit.

2.  Remove a jumper.

3.  Plug the unit back in (The LED should blink fast).

4.  Unplug the Unit.

5.  Put the jumper back where it was.

6.  Plug the unit back in. 

You may also have to set the controller address after a reset.

Check the manual for specifics. 

Jerry

Yep, did that Jerry.  Didn't help.

In that case my recommendation is to contact Light-O-Rama regarding this.  They really stand behind their products, and I'm sure they will be able to help you.

Jerry

That is what I have done. Opened a ticket, explained the problem and they guided me through all the potential problems. Since we could not get it running after all of their advice, they have put a replacement one in the mail. Looking forward to receiving and GREATLY appreciate the service from the LOR team!

Don

The LOR team has sent me a replacement and a return package label for the bad unit....THANKS! As I was waiting for the new unit to arrive, I continued my thinking and testing on what in the heck is wrong. It dawned on me that I only had 2 strings of lights connected to the 16 dongles and never tried interchanging them. Shazamm!!!! Turns out I had those two strings connected to the only 2 dongles that were not working. What are the chances???? (I should have bought a loto ticket). BTW, these were home made dongles so I have only myself to blame!

Don

P.s. - Since I now have a third controller in hand, it was easy to talk the bride into keeping it. I Paypal'd LOR for the controller and I now have 48 channels!!!!

... Since I now have a third controller in hand, it was easy to talk the bride into keeping it. I Paypal'd LOR for the controller and I now have 48 channels!!!!

WAY TO GO!  One of the oldest tricks in the book, but ever so nice when it works.

Looking for some arches or poles?

Actually George, I have not made any arches yet due to the lack of available channels. Poles are another story and I am thinking of using 4 prime trees for now......

Even though you are returing the bad controller, I just had this happen on a CCR controller, when connected to a regular controller next to it. The HWU would see it just fine but I couldn't command any of the lights to come on. Pretty sure it was a bad connection on the RJ45 because when I reversed the cables at the 16 channel controller, one feeding the CCR controller, all of a sudden it started working normally.

• The topic was locked