Light-O-Rama Forums

Uncomplicated null pixel?

bobschm

It's apparent I need to add null pixels to my two longest runs. One is "flickery" (is that a word? :huh: ) and the longest run is just blank. If I shorten the cables they both work.

So my question is: Can I make my own null pixel by rigging a pixel from an unused string? All the Ebay pixel extenders etc. don't appear to be weatherproof so I'd rather use one of the potted ones from another string. Or do you know of any weatherproof versions cheap? (and fast delivery!!)

The E682 can declare null pixels which I assume will never light up, just pass data. Is that correct? Or do I have to use one with no LEDs?

That's the preferred way, just add in a pixel, tell the controller where it is and the null pixel just re-generates the signal and sends it on to the first in your string.

I did that with several in the string.. they worked fine when I tested them.. then wired em up with a bundle of other cables and no joy.. But I had other issue as well... not sure some of those issues didn't cause the problem but I could never get my null pixel strings to work once bundled with other cables. 

Edited by plasmadrive

This seems to be more complicated than I thought. It seems the real problem is with the E682. Universe 3 is sketchy and Universe 4 is dead. My four output clusters are set to Universe 1,2,3 and 4. I haven't played with universe 3 yet. That flashing could be anything. I'll worry about that later.

Using no cable at all (shortest distance possible!), just strings plugged right into the board I get no activity on Universe 4.  If I check the Packets received and sequence errors, universe 1,2 and 3, all show oodles of action. Universe 4 shows all zeros.

I've updated and refreshed. Rebooted everything. Swapped cables and power supplies for known good ones. I cannot get 4-1 to 4-4 outputs to do anything. Bad E682? :o  Anything else I can try? I checked LOR and verified that my RGB elements are set up for universe 4.

Ok it's not complicated at all! Sure I had LOR channels set up and the E682 set up, but I missed the LOR control panel network settings. Doh!

Funny how things work when you calm down and think.

Funny how things work when you calm down and think.

Think???   Are you trying to give us all a bad rep?   :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I  have a  quick question  about null pixels.  if one  adds them  do  the  count as  channels?  for example : I have a  strand of 10 pixels, they  are   numbered chs. 1-30. I make  the  first  2 of  them  null. do the  channel numbers stay 1-30 or  are the  null  pixels ignored  making the 8 remaining channels 1-24?  Thanks for  the  info.