Light-O-Rama Forums

I finally test them!

plasmadrive

I finally tested my new icicles with an actual LOR sequence.  I LOVE THIS HOBBY!! :D

They all work wonderfully!  Wireless via the Netgear Shaggy suggested.. 8 universes at 150 pixels each! 

I did this for my wife because she misses her old icicle setup that I don't use anymore because although programmable, they were not real time.  These are so real time..  They were getting to be 10 years old also... couldn't get the chips anymore. 

I will follow with some video in the next couple of days..

Here is a short iphone vid of a section of a programmed song. There are 8 universes and all data is being sent via a wireless bridge.  One 24vdc power supply,  Two 6804 board, Six pixel extenders, 18 DC-DC converters, , , one null pixel cable, LOR S3 and a partridge in a pear tree.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhe53tamz9kno88/IMG_3402.MOV

Edited by plasmadrive

Nice.  did you use the long green wire from the bottom of each icicle back up to the next cable cord?

What controller are you using there?  looks like my 512 from Ray.

Nice.  did you use the long green wire from the bottom of each icicle back up to the next cable cord?

What controller are you using there?  looks like my 512 from Ray.

Thanks.   I cut 5' cables from Ray leaving that green wire long to pass the data to the next icicle.  The rest of the wires were cut short and soldered to the front at the top. 

For the controllers I am using E6804 x 2.  I also uses some Pixel Extenders from J1S for the long distance leads. 

I actually bought the DMX to 2811 converters from Ray but didn't use them because I went with the Extenders.  (have 10 of those controller for sale... ha ha) 

Wow!  That looks like a lot of work.  You were a soldering, heat shrinking, siliconing elf!  Looks great!  Now to mass produce these!

How was the programming done for these icicle lights?

Do you have close up pictures of the icicle lights?

Amazing work!

Sorry, now found the link to see how you created them!  Awesome work!!!!!

WOW!!!

Looks like there are 3 different lengths of strips??

what lengths did you use and what is the spacing between strips??

It certainly does look like you have a fire burning at the end

How was the programming done for these icicle lights?

Do you have close up pictures of the icicle lights?

Amazing work!

Sorry, now found the link to see how you created them!  Awesome work!!!!!

The programming I have been using is a combo of LOR S3 and Nutcracker.  For some effects it is easier to do them in Nutcracker and save as a clipboard for LOR.  Then paste them in.

WOW!!!

Looks like there are 3 different lengths of strips??

what lengths did you use and what is the spacing between strips??

It certainly does look like you have a fire burning at the end

There are 3 lengths.  6,10,14 pixels.  That is what I call a group. That equals 1m of 30 pixels.  I get 5 of those from 1 of Ray's reels. 

The cables are cut from Rays 4 core 5' cables.  I use the cables and hack them up so I have long enough wires that allow me to run the DO wire down the back side of the sleeve.  The cables from the icicle wind up at about 12" each. 

My spacing is a bit different on each segment.  It ranges from 12"-14".. or there abouts between icicles.  Everything is hung on 1/2" EMT which is mounted via Minerallac clamps screwed into the wood.  That allows me to do whatever spacing I need without regard to where the trusses are.

That fire effect is courtesy of Nutcracker.  It is built in to their software.

Glad you liked it.

This is phenomenal!!

Mass produce? Hmmm. I notice a pattern of three repeated icicles. So could one of Ray's sources create modules of three icicles? We would then buy however many we need.

For that matter, why not make them all identical length? The varying length look could be handled in programming and now you have a massive matrix across the roofline. In summer it could scroll "Get off my lawn, you hoodlums!"