Light-O-Rama Forums

I finally test them!

plasmadrive

This is phenomenal!!

Mass produce? Hmmm. I notice a pattern of three repeated icicles. So could one of Ray's sources create modules of three icicles? We would then buy however many we need.

For that matter, why not make them all identical length? The varying length look could be handled in programming and now you have a massive matrix across the roofline. In summer it could scroll "Get off my lawn, you hoodlums!"

Thanks..

They could be mass produced.  Ray actually has some in tubes that take DMX directly but at $19 each they were outside my budget. 

I did the three lengths because I wanted to have the chopped up look.  Had I left them all the same length and dealt with it in software my pixel count would have been another 480 pixels at 3 channels each.  Also with this combo I used complete rolls of 5 meters without waste.  I could have made them all 15 pixels and gotten 10 out of a roll instead of 15, but again, lots of channels added.

So all in all I confess that I would love to had a matrix up there.. but the spacing would not have made it look as good as a matrix I think.. Icicles are what she wanted.. and that is what she got.. Oh yeah, did I mention, my wife wanted icicles.  LOL

Hey Plasmadrive,

What are you using to run these? How many drops per output or controller, (depending on Sandevices or a single Universe controller, respectively). The reason I ask is, I have 20 pixcicles this year and I split the Universe between 2, single Universe controllers. Just wondering if I could get a whole universe out of a single controller and double up on the drops next year. I haven't tested it yet. just wondering about signal drop with that much wire. Power injection is not a problem, but with Pixel string wire, Pixels and the wire between drops, I have about 40 ft, of wire. My first pixel is about 18 inches from the first controller. Just wondering in your opinion or anyone else, if There may be a data loss all the way to the end.

Thanks for any insight,

Ron

By the way, yours are quite spectacular. I actually like the effect I got with mine so much that I'm planning on 3 or 4 times as many next year

Icicles are what she wanted.. and that is what she got.. Oh yeah, did I mention, my wife wanted icicles. LOL

Happy wife, Happy Life

Edited by Ron Boyd

Hi Ron,

I am using two E6804s.  4 universes per controller, one per output.  I didn't do two universes per outout like it says you can because programming would have been a nightmare at the time and I didn't want to make too long of data runs from the controller, (I didn't know about the Pixel Extenders when I designed all this).

For long wire runs I ran into all kinds of problems.  I have up to 60' on one run and as low as 5' on another.  For the runs over 15' I made null pixel cables that worked on the ground just fine but when bundled with other cables they flickered and flashed and caused me great grief.  I tried remaking them shorter and shorter between the nulls until I gave up.  So I got J1Sys Pixel Extenders.  That solved all my wire length issue.  But again, my issues were only for the first injection point.  At 18" you are golden.  I actually have a Ray Wu 5' four core cable between some of my pixels where I had to go around corners.  I have no issue with those lengths at all.

Once you inject the first signal if your other pixels are not far away, you are home free.  It is about a 8' wire length for my longest data line from pixel to pixel, (that includes a 5' jumper), and my average is about 3'.   I have no problems with that what so ever.  I do inject power ever 30 pixels though.  This keeps me at no lower than about 4.75vdc everywhere.  My white is white throughout, and that was my biggest goal power wise.  It also keeps my data refresh voltage from pixel to pixel very high and clean.. at least I think it does!  In the dropbox folder there is a PDF with my power distro scheme if you care to look at it. 

Thanks for the compliment.. and you are right, "happy wife, happy life"   ;)

Thanks for bringing a sample to the Sacramento meeting for us to look at and drool over.

They look great.

I am using two E6804s. 4 universes per controller, one per output

Good grief! 8 universes of pixel icicles? Man that's a bunch of soldering. Whew?

Thanks for the info. After the season is over, I plan on doing some testing for a whole universe on one of the single universe controllers to see just how far I can go. I'm actually planning on adding more next year so I may end up with the 6804 too. We'll see how brave I am to get up and outline the bulk of the front of the house. Getting up there on a ladder is a little un-nerving for me. I don't know, maybe I'll rent a lift. Thanks again for the info. That gives me some more to go on during planning for 2014.

Later my friend,

Ron

I am using two E6804s. 4 universes per controller, one per output

Good grief! 8 universes of pixel icicles? Man that's a bunch of soldering. Whew?

Thanks for the info. After the season is over, I plan on doing some testing for a whole universe on one of the single universe controllers to see just how far I can go. I'm actually planning on adding more next year so I may end up with the 6804 too. We'll see how brave I am to get up and outline the bulk of the front of the house. Getting up there on a ladder is a little un-nerving for me. I don't know, maybe I'll rent a lift. Thanks again for the info. That gives me some more to go on during planning for 2014.

Later my friend,

Ron

Yeah.. at 8 universes I am not even in the top 30% of those with pixels counts I don't think.   LOL   It is a lot to program if you want to do special things.. but it is worth it.

Renting a lift is the way to go.  I use my bucket truck I bought a few years back off of Craig's list.  It is an old clunker but it gets me up there safely.  Saves the knees climbing too! 

Interesting optical illusion (to my eyes anyway) in the video - it looks like the house is going up and down not the blue lights!

Hey Tony,

I think some of that up and down was me trying to hold the camera and watch at the same time.  :P

"Plasma Icicles"  uuummm.. I Like it!   :D

Is that like the "Holdmen Star" and the "Weber Tree"?? now the "Plasma Icicles"   :rolleyes:

But wait, there's more!  Just pay seperate processing and handling!  

Edited by plasmadrive

• The topic was locked