Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485B

JSteinwall

Do I have it totally wrong? I thought the "B" in the USB485B stood for "boost" so that it can provide power to the RV-V4 without any other auxiliary power. 

"The USB485B has a built in voltage booster that provides power for LOR accessories such as the RF-V4 wireless unit. If you are going to connect a wirless unit directly to a PC or if you plan on future interactive displays you should choose the USB485B."

However, this doesn't seem to work for me. See the attached drawing of how I want it to be set up. A month ago I discovered that this setup didn't work so I contacted LOR customer service and I sent it in for repair. They sent me a new one which I just received and it behaves exactly the same way. 

The RF-V4 units do work when they are connected to a controller or when the USB485B is connected to a controller -- it is as though the "B" is coming from the controller and not the USB line. 

Please set me straight or let me know how you are using the RF linkers the the USB485B.

-Jim Steinwall

Scottsdale, AZ

post-12808-0-46494600-1380603947_thumb.j

The way you have it setup is correct...or how i understand it. I haven't yet to use the wireless but I have one and maybe I should try it out. Only thing that comes to mind...other than software settings...is that your USB port is not providing enough power to the booster to power the wireless device. Your saying it works when connected to a controller, but not directly to your PC? Sounds like power issue. Are you using a laptop or desktop? If desktop, are you connected through the front or rear ports. From experience, the rear ports are stronger power wise. Your cat5 cable between your booster and ELL needs to be 10' or less. Also update to the latest firmware. If your USB port is not providing enough power, you may need to use an powered USB hub. Have you gone through the troubleshooting guide? Hopefully someone with personal experience will chime in.

I have a USB-485B wired in the same manner as your picture. The cat5 cable from the USB-485B to the ELL is about 40 feet long, which is longer than the recommended maximum of 25', but it still works.

Did you check the network speed? The wireless units don't detect the network speed, so you might want to check it using the hardware utility. The wireless units must be configured to use the same speed as each other, and the same speed as the computer.

• The topic was locked