Light-O-Rama Forums

G3-MP3 Showtime director

bbayjohn

Hi All,

Looking for more information on the G3-MP3 Showtime director. I have read the manual but was wondering if there was a video help file to watch the setup.

Cheers

John

Hi Don,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

Last year I ran the mDM-MP3 off a separate power supply so I had to remove the power jumper. Wire in a 9volt power supply. Then the mDM-mp3 could be run off the same timer as the first controller, as I like to shut down all controllers when not in use.

It says in the manual to use a 12 vdc centre positive power adapter to supply external power if needed.

Now my way of thinking is that this could be left on and the actual controllers be turned on via a separate timer 15 min before the show starts.

So my first question is do I need do anything else? i.e. jumpers etc.

Second question

The G3 has duel networks. Net 1 has 2 outlets a RJ12 and a RJ45. Can they both be used at the same time?

Third question.

How do I manage sending dmx data to pixels over Net 2?

Forth question

Can I run a Native signal over Net 1 and a dmx signal over Net 2. and how do I manage the Kbps network speeds between the 2?

Fifth question

Am I right in thinking I can plug a cat5e cable straight into the rj45 networks and no other hardware is needed between the G3 and the first controller and am I able to use a cat7 or cat8 ?

When I tried setting up the G3 clock it was a difficult to understand the built in led display. This is where I was hoping to find a video on the basic set up of this unit. To help me understand if Im doing it right.

Cheers

John

1) You won't need any additional jumpers, etc. The Showtime Director has a clock, and will start/stop the shows when scheduled.

2) Not sure. You probably could, but I would ask why you need to?

3) Pretty sure the director can't send DMX signals. It could control the LOR iDMX device, but it wouldn't be able to send out native DMX commands.

4) When creating a show in the Hardware Utility (for the director) you have the option of saying it's for a new G3 director, and what network speeds you want to run.  

Forth question

5) Yes, CAT5/5e/6 connections all the way.

6) You can also set the time via SD card. Just open the HWU, click on MP3 tab, and look at the bottom right for placing the time on the SD card.

...Now my way of thinking is that this could be left on and the actual controllers be turned on via a separate timer 15 min before the show starts...

Why????????  I use a timer for my FM transmitter, but all 10 of my controllers are powered 24/7 for the duration of the season.  Very, very, very little electric is being consumed when the show is off.  Don't over-engineer - just plug it all in and go.

Edited by Liberty-Laser

My controllers are powered 365/24/7 and my doesn't run my power bill up much, if at all.  Not until show time and I use LED's, so that saves even more on the power.   Don't have a G3, but do have an DC-MP3 Showtime Director and it is powered from my first controller via Cat5, see no reason to use an external power supply for the Director unit.  And my FM transmitter during show season is on 24/7.

Thanks for the replies.

I like to turn off everything when not in use including the TV. Electrical costs are way to high in Australia with all the tax on it. They are supposed to remove the carbon tax when the new government got elected. Plus its safer with power spikes etc that could fry power supplies etc.

Will have a look into the LOR iDMX device.

Cheers

John