Light-O-Rama Forums

Who has a good deal on Meteor Tubes?

plasmadrive

i bought 8 sets (64 tubes) last year from http://www.ebay.com/itm/30cm-12-White-8-Tubes-144-LED-Light-Christmas-Xmas-Holiday-Snowfall-Rain-Drop-/400533378174

about $15 per set.

The top was not waterproof. I took #12 green ground wire that i use when wiring my house. i wrapped it around the top and then had a 2' length. I went and epoxied all 64 tops and the wire. I had zero issues last year. My lights were up from nov 25 to jab 15th. The wire allowed me to bend it into a hook and hang from the branches of my tree.

i bought 8 sets (64 tubes) last year from http://www.ebay.com/itm/30cm-12-White-8-Tubes-144-LED-Light-Christmas-Xmas-Holiday-Snowfall-Rain-Drop-/400533378174

about $15 per set.

The top was not waterproof. I took #12 green ground wire that i use when wiring my house. i wrapped it around the top and then had a 2' length. I went and epoxied all 64 tops and the wire. I had zero issues last year. My lights were up from nov 25 to jab 15th. The wire allowed me to bend it into a hook and hang from the branches of my tree.

Thanks.. I went and bought a dozen sets.. they are shipping from the USA so that helps.. I will doctor them up as required and should be good to go. 

Craig

Thanks.. I went and bought a dozen sets.. they are shipping from the USA so that helps.. I will doctor them up as required and should be good to go. 

Craig

last year i had 2400 pixels on my megatree (20x120 flex strips), another 1000 nodes of rgb on my eaves and arches and windows.

i also put up things i had bought from home depot over the years.

I went and talked to at least 100 visitors. I asked what they liked about the show. The children liked the mailbox that opened and closed with the letter to santa from home depot.

The adults were split, "Wow , really love the megatree" or "Those snowfall tubes in your tree are amazing".

So i got about a 50% wow factor for all the nutcracker work from adults, the other half thought these $15 tubes were the best in show.

I said, "yeah i programmed those too ..."

In fact i just ordered another 8 so i will have 16 sets of 8 tubes for this year.

thanks

sean

Thanks.. I searched for that name and found nothing to do with meteor tubes..  ahh.. but I did find Minleon.. But they are very expensive also.  thanks again, but too rich for the effect I want..

i paid ~$12 each on the pre season sale from the person i mentioned above.. is that expensive?

i paid ~$12 each on the pre season sale from the person i mentioned above.. is that expensive?

$12 per tube or per set?  I just ordered sets of 8 tubes for $14 per set.. Now the ones I ordered are only 1 foot long and I am sure I will have to seal them properly but electronically they work fine.  For the effect I want they should be ok.. I doubt they are built as well as the ones you have if you paid $12 per tube.  But for the amount of difference in the price I can do a lot of playing around with them..

If yours were $12 per set, you got a good deal.

about $15 per set.

Sean, do you have any video of these snowfall tubes in action ?

Is there a time delay if you were to use them on a single LOR on/off channel ?

My wife has been pestering me to order some snowfall tubes, but like most, price is a factor and quality.

You will either get price or quality.. not both I am afraid.  I was looking only for price and something that will work that I can "doctor up" to make them better. 

My plan is to pull the wire out and replace it with wire lengths I want and better wire.  Next I will seal the tube with silicon. Should all be good

Hey Craig-

I bought 2 sizes (10 of each) hoping to help with the effect in my big Linden Tree I'm planning on putting them in. I bought one of each a while back to play with and test and they look cool in the tree.  The only thing I don't like is that they all drop at the same time when you first turn them on.  It takes a few minutes before they are random.  I made use of it a little in a couple of sequence's by making it look like a giant burst.  Hopefully it looks like I want it too when I actually get them all up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290686730860?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261275895289?var=560222666360&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I got the first order today and they definitely need doctoring.  The wire is too small in my opinion.  The box says I can hook 2 sets together, but there is a noticeable amount of voltage drop in the end of the second set.  The plugs are not waterproof either. My plan was to plug 2-3 sets into an extension cord and then tape a Ziploc bag over it so water doesn't get in.  If anyone has any other ideas to make them more waterproof I'd love to see/hear what you have done.

Little_b,

I need some of those longer ones.  But I can't wait for China.. Well maybe, but it makes me nervous.  Last time I ordered from those guys it took 60 days to get here.

I will most likely pull them all apart and replace the wire.  I surely would not use their connectors.. they are crap for sure.  When I put them back together I will silicon them in the end to stop and water ingress.  Haven't decided if I want a weep hole in the bottom yet..   I will let you know what I do, when I get mine in a few days.

It only took 15 days for the 50cm.  I ordered them on 9/10.  I also had the idea of making a weep hole at the bottom.  I have a strand outside in the rain right now to see what it's going to do without one.

I have about 70, 12" tubes in my trees.  They drip at same speed and time.  The short tube it doesn't really matter the timing, still looks very cool and get a ton of comments about them.

• 1 year later...

I noticed today Target had Phillips LED drip tubes. 12 for $45 (mix of 8" and 12"). About $4 each, not bad. They looked nice in very clear tubes.

• The topic was locked