Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking for a short cut to open DMX universes in a sequence

mark obermiller

I'm using S3 ver 3.10.8. I have around 550 LOR channels plus over 21,000 RGB channels spread out over 43 DMX universes. My problem is when I open the sequence editor, and load the sequence, my DMX universes do not show up except for universe 1. I then have to manually open the other 42 universes. Is there any way that these universes will be open when I load the sequence?

OMG.. why would you want them to be?   :huh:   I am running 8 E1.31 universes and I am glad they don't all open up.. I would be scrolling down till I was old... oh yeah.. I am old.. crap! 

Betting you are not using tracks.   They have the opposite issue and always start open.   If you want a particular set of DMX channels expanded at sequence open.  Copy them to a new track.

I use tracks to allow me to program batches of channels easily.

For example:  I am adding about 3000 channels of 2811 icicles this year to my roof line.  I have several sections that I want to be able to program at different times in different ways.  What I did is split off the peak eves in one track, the lower flat eves in another track and the garage peak and flats in other tracks.  I also have a track with the entire house, one with the entire garage, and one with all the channels, one with just the longer icicles.  Programming across the track is far easier then counting channels to place effects. 

Edited by plasmadrive

I use tracks to allow me to program batches of channels easily.

For example:  I am adding about 3000 channels of 2811 icicles this year to my roof line.  I have several sections that I want to be able to program at different times in different ways.  What I did is split off the peak eves in one track, the lower flat eves in another track and the garage peak and flats in other tracks.  I also have a track with the entire house, one with the entire garage, and one with all the channels, one with just the longer icicles.  Programming across the track is far easier then counting channels to place effects.

Thanks for the advice. I see how using tracks will be an advantage.

I have never used tracks and have wondered about the advantages of doing that. Any info on tracks would sure help.

Tracks are a logical grouping which for your number of channels are very useful.   My 2012 config has 16 tracks each with many groups and cant imagine giving them up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tracks are a logical grouping which for your number of channels are very useful.   My 2012 config has 16 tracks each with many groups and cant imagine giving them up. 

Ditto...  I created tracks for my RGB's, Then broke them down to my arches and corners, my static lights, then broke them down to fixture type (candy canes, mini trees, icecicles, etc).  Tracks make it very simple to work on a small group of lights instead of having to pick through the entire thing.  The other nice thing about them is that since they are "logical" representations of your channels, you don't have to group by controllers.  If you have, lets say, Candy Canes on controller 1 and controller 5 (different parts of the yard?), you can group them into a single track and work on them all together without regard to being on different controllers.

Jamie