Light-O-Rama Forums

Can you transfer your taps

Griswoldswife

My husband just started using LOR last year and loves it!  He started with 16 channels and this year, he has added another 16.  After a lot of help from a friend who owns a Christmas lighting company, we figured out how to program and the show was pretty good, for a first timer, LOL!!  My husband would like to use some of the same songs that he used last year, but change all the channels and how they function through the song.  But, can he transfer the taps from the songs?  I know how to transfer the channel config, but that will be changing too, so we aren't worried about that.  We just want to transfer the taps to the 32 channel config.  Does anyone have any advice for us??  Thank You so much, in advance, for any help!!!

The taps (timing marks/timing grids) do not save in the LCC.

You can, however, copy the timings from one sequence, and paste them into another. Look in the "edit" drop-down for "Copy Timing" and "Paste Timing"

If you're just going to use the same song, timings and just change the config file around, all you have to do is create your new channel config file for the new set up, then create a "new musical sequence" with the new channel config as the default.   Now you just load the original song/sequence you created the previous year, if any of the elements are the same, but just moved to a different location {i.e. Unit 02 Channel 01 Blow mold Santa is now at Unit 03 Channel 06, you just copy those cells from the original sequence to the new location, do this with each element you have changed from the old to the new sequence, once completed and new items need to be sequenced, {make sure you save your work as you copy and paste often or you could lose all your transfer work!}, then save the new sequence using the same name as the previous year, but prefix the name with 2013.  I.E. 2012_We Wish You a Merry Christmas would become 2013_We Wish You a Merry Christmas.  Once done, now you can sequence any new elements you've added and still have your original sequencing for those elements that would or may stay the same in the newer sequence.

This sounds like more work than it really is, but this is what I do each year when I add new items to my display.  It takes a lot less time to copy and paste old cells for the same song and same lighting element than it would to re-sequence the entire song all over again.

Once you have your new elements sequenced, then you can go back and re-tweak some of your older elements that was copied over from your previous years sequence.

It really is very easy, it just sounds complicated and difficult, but once you've copied a few cells over, you'll soon see just how simple it is.

Good Luck!

As Don said above, this is the way to do what he was eluding to,

In a nutshell:

Click on any cell,

select.........................."Edit" (at the top)

click........................... "Select"-->then select "All"

Select,....................... "Edit"-->"Copy Timing"

Open new channel config.

Right click on first channel

Select.........................Past timing at 0:00.00

Your timings will be exactly how you had them before.

Why not use the existing sequence (with the taps/beats in place), add the 16 new channels to that old sequence instead of creating a whole new sequence? Then export your updated channel config to the LOR "sequences" file and then import that new channel config to the other squences.

it's just adding new channels to an existing sequence.

Why not use the existing sequence (with the taps/beats in place), add the 16 new channels to that old sequence instead of creating a whole new sequence? Then export your updated channel config to the LOR "sequences" file and then import that new channel config to the other squences.

Well... There's that :)

Sorry. I forgot. I did a 90% change over to RGB and Pixels this year and had to redo all of my sequences. I forgot about the little things. Thanks Helper

Wow, sometimes we just forget about the "little" things that would make everything so much easier.  Glad you remembered this because I had forgotten that, but then again, I prefer to keep and maintain the original sequence and not mess it up, so I guess I just do it the hard way by my way above.    But both work, user preference prevails. :)

I prefer to keep and maintain the original sequence and not mess it up, so I guess I just do it the hard way by my way above.    But both work, user preference prevails. :)

Of course you can keep the original, just add a 1 or year to the new version and you'll have both.

But your right, both work and user preference prevails.

Edited by Santas Helper

Of course you can keep the original, just add a 1 or year to the new version and you'll have both.

But your right, both work and user preference prevails.

Yes, but last time I did that I "over-wrote" the wrong sequence and by the time I realized it, the original .bak file was also changed, OOPS! :wacko:

So that's why I guess I do it the hard way, cuz it seems if I try to do it the simple way, I always seem to end up losing the original sequence, so at least this way, if I want to go back and work from the original at some other time I didn't lose it or overwrite it.  

Just one of those things that work out best for me, especially after losing 4 sequences I couldn't recover. Although now I make sure they are saved on several computers and several different places.  

Fortunately haven't lost any now for a while, but my first and part of my second year, I lost a few here and there.  Lesson learned on saving and making sure there are backups in MORE THEN ONE place!    Since I had my backup computer HD fail one year.  Had to learn it the hard way... :huh:

Although now I make sure they are saved on several computers and several different places.  

Lesson learned on saving and making sure there are backups in MORE THEN ONE place!    Since I had my backup computer HD fail one year.  Had to learn it the hard way... :huh:

I learned the hard way as well.

And what you just mentioned is the MOST valuable tip for this hobby no matter how you sequence.

This might be related for adding hardware channels...I've noticed last year and again this year, when I inserted a new device into the hardware setup, other items/channels seem to get impacted. The example being, lets say I add a controller on an existing song and sequence all the new channels then save the hardware setup, over-writing the old setup file. All's good at this point. I go to the next song and upload the new hardware setup and all of a sudden, the previous sequencing is altered and everything "below" where the channels were added, is now all messed up, as in, previous sequencing of channels are now on the wrong channel assignments. Think of Ms Excel and inserting rows...normally it would push everything down, but in LOR's case, it doesn't push everything down. Has anyone found a way to add a device or channels, without impacting what's already been sequenced?

Has anyone found a way to add a device or channels, without impacting what's already been sequenced?

Yes...add all new channels BELOW your old channels....

As Jim said, it's how I do it, then I have a copy of a sequence opened that lists everything where I want it, then I move those channels around to match the channel config file I'm using.   Did it this way every time I'd add a new 16 channel controller.  Only way I know to do it, haven't found any shortcuts for this process.   Aside from creating a new sequence with all the controllers and channels in the order you want them, save channel config file and reload it when creating new sequences.  This way it always defaults to your channel set up, but if converting older sequence to the new config, easiest way is how I mentioned above, open original sequence and copy each block of cells to the same prop/item, then sequence those new items, but save, save, save and save again during the new sequencing so you don't lose your work!