Light-O-Rama Forums

Building A CCB Frame for Mega Tree

Ralph A

I am building a CCB Mega tree this year and want your advice on a frame.  The tree is 12 1/2 feet tall so the CCB strings are folded in half.  I'm trying to find a material to support them to keep them straight. I tried poly strapping, and the weight of the bulb causes it to twist.  PVC, would be stronger but it to tends to bend but would support the bulbs.

Just wanting to see what you have used and what luck you have had with the material you have use.

Thanks!

Thanks sysco! Great minds think alike.  I did that.  He was using pixels and not bulbs.  The bulbs have more mass and weight to them than the pixels.  Resulting in more twist.  I did email him and also asked his advise.  Waiting to hear what he has to say, and what others have done here on the forums.

Thanks!!

Thanks Jim.  I did look at your design and I really like it.  I think I may have a problem keeping the bulbs alined, I may get a cable and test it.  They may twist around on the cable.  I'm begining to belive I should have got pixels and not bulbs.  Easier to work with and cheeper.  Thanks!!

Any chance you could use PVC lengths but stagger some short pieces horizontally between the vertical runs for structure?  I would use a minimum of 1" PVC as well.  Just a thought. 

Any chance you could use PVC lengths but stagger some short pieces horizontally between the vertical runs for structure?  I would use a minimum of 1" PVC as well.  Just a thought. 

Did that last year and it worked fine. It will bow somewhat. Mine was about 12.5 feet high and had a 1 foot bow in it, but it was leaning at an angle too

You might try square aluminum tubing:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/23186-anyone-else-building-a-frame-for-a-12-ribbon-ccr-tree/

These are flat but I see no reason you can form them into a round base.  I think if you used the same tubing around the bottom, and top, plus a set of spokes (think bike wheel) at the bottom and half way up it might even free stand....  but don't sue me if it doesn't work

I believe PVC is gonna be my best option, all things considered.  Thanks chowell.  I was hoping there was something else I was overlooking.

Did that last year and it worked fine. It will bow somewhat. Mine was about 12.5 feet high and had a 1 foot bow in it, but it was leaning at an angle too

Ron, do you have a picture of that tree by chance.  The leaning Mega tree? Thanks, looking forward to seeing that!

You might try square aluminum tubing:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/23186-anyone-else-building-a-frame-for-a-12-ribbon-ccr-tree/

These are flat but I see no reason you can form them into a round base.  I think if you used the same tubing around the bottom, and top, plus a set of spokes (think bike wheel) at the bottom and half way up it might even free stand....  but don't sue me if it doesn't work

I did look into that and if I had the money that is what I would do.  Since I have two 12 1/2 mega trees in the yard, that would be 600 feet of tubing.  I work in a field where I could get this at wholesale.  I would have to start saving now for next year.  But I do believe it is the best option, just not cost effective for now.  Thank you for your advise though!!

If you use PVC, you might try going about  half way up and install a cross connection and install short pieces of PVC around the tree. Then install the lower leg and then the upper leg in the cross connection. This may help support and help keep the long legs from bowing. May have to do it twice. 

If you use PVC, you might try going about  half way up and install a cross connection and install short pieces of PVC around the tree. Then install the lower leg and then the upper leg in the cross connection. This may help support and help keep the long legs from bowing. May have to do it twice. 

Go to You Tube and and search PVC spiral tree. This is what I was referring to.

Thanks indi!!  Looks like I will have to do somthing of that nature.

Ron, do you have a picture of that tree by chance. The leaning Mega tree? Thanks, looking forward to seeing that!

I think its somewhere on my facebook page. Let me take a look and see if its on there.

https://m.facebook.com/BoydFamilyChristmasLightShow?v=photos&psm=default&album=a.225500554245608.55237.201686539960343&__user=100004013041893

The piece of pvc on the back using snap tees was how I kept it from bowing

Edited by Ron Boyd

I think its somewhere on my facebook page. Let me take a look and see if its on there.

https://m.facebook.com/BoydFamilyChristmasLightShow?v=photos&psm=default&album=a.225500554245608.55237.201686539960343&__user=100004013041893

The piece of pvc on the back using snap tees was how I kept it from bowing

I remember seeing that.  Nice job.  My tree is 360 so I will have to make a few adjustmensts, and see what I can come up with.  Thanks again Ron!

• 2 weeks later...

Started getting a little concerned about my set up after reading this thread. I am planning on a 360 degree 25 foot tall mega tree using CCBs. I built the monkhouse jack pole design for the main support and set it up a few months ago. It worked great. The CCB strings are simply hanging from the top of the tree and zip tied to a PVC support ring at the bottom. I am not using any other support for the CCB strings. The tree worked well for the three days I had it up. Are there any concerns leaving the tree erected in this manner for a extended period of time? I don't want to damage my CCB strings.

• The topic was locked