Light-O-Rama Forums

Weatherproof Laser Housing

Brandon

Hello, I recently just bought a 450mw RGB laser for our Christmas show and i am super stoked about it.  the only real problem i am facing is creating a weather proof housing for it in the yard.  I am planning on bringing it inside the house after every show because i don't want to leave it outside all night.  these lasers are very temperamental.  the operating temperature of the laser is 60 - 85 degrees F.  does anyone have any good ideas on how to make a good enclosure?  I know you can get little heaters to control the temperature so i plan on doing that but i'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas or has done this before and could share some info.  thanks.

There is more to consider than just the housing, but I will address that first.

Lasers and moisture don't work well together in the housing.  You need to make sure there is no condensation.. you also need to get rid of any excess heat via venting.  Any plastic or metal enclosure will work as long as you get the heat out... Also you should put an AR coated apature window for the beam so you don't get so much reflected energy.

Now, you do know that that laser is illegal as hell unless it and you have varience numbers right?  As well, in open outdoor space you need a letter of non objection from the FAA for pretty much most uses.  They are getting real picky about this stuff.  Also you must have an operator with a kill switch present 100% of the time the show runs if it is possible for ingress to the laser irradiated area.

There are other rules, but those should at least get you started.  CDRH is an arm of the FDA and you can find the rules on their web site.. (no link sorry)  You may get away with it, you may not... but the fines can be heavy and the equipment can be theirs. 

BTW, that much power can actually cause permenant damage to eye site.  Depends on the divergence and beam diameter along with the power and time of exposure. 

Don't mean to dampen the fun, but I just thought you should know..  Not like flashing LEDs or broadcasting a bit too much FM power.

There is more to consider than just the housing, but I will address that first.

Lasers and moisture don't work well together in the housing.  You need to make sure there is no condensation.. you also need to get rid of any excess heat via venting.  Any plastic or metal enclosure will work as long as you get the heat out... Also you should put an AR coated apature window for the beam so you don't get so much reflected energy.

Now, you do know that that laser is illegal as hell unless it and you have varience numbers right?  As well, in open outdoor space you need a letter of non objection from the FAA for pretty much most uses.  They are getting real picky about this stuff.  Also you must have an operator with a kill switch present 100% of the time the show runs if it is possible for ingress to the laser irradiated area.

There are other rules, but those should at least get you started.  CDRH is an arm of the FDA and you can find the rules on their web site.. (no link sorry)  You may get away with it, you may not... but the fines can be heavy and the equipment can be theirs. 

BTW, that much power can actually cause permenant damage to eye site.  Depends on the divergence and beam diameter along with the power and time of exposure. 

Don't mean to dampen the fun, but I just thought you should know..  Not like flashing LEDs or broadcasting a bit too much FM power.

Thanks for the response and yes i am very aware of the rules and dangers.  I do have a variance as well and the Laser is FDA approved.  

the AR coated aperture sounds like a good idea.

the condensation was the other thing i was concerned about.  I figure if I can keep the inside of the box and laser at room temperature all the time I shouldn't have that issue.  at least i hope not

Thanks for the response and yes i am very aware of the rules and dangers.  I do have a variance as well and the Laser is FDA approved.  

the AR coated aperture sounds like a good idea.

the condensation was the other thing i was concerned about.  I figure if I can keep the inside of the box and laser at room temperature all the time I shouldn't have that issue.  at least i hope not

you also need to check with the FAA if it is being used outside.

you also need to check with the FAA if it is being used outside.

My understanding was that I only needed to do that if I was shooting into the sky.  is this not correct?  I have set boundaries for the laser and the beams will be no where near the sky.

Hi Brandon,

Well I am glad you have a varience as well as your projector.. too many people do not.  

As for the FAA, the last time I did a show outside they required the letter of non objection even though I was not beaming into space, so to speak.  I am not sure of your application it would be required if there is not enough room to land a helicopter... Yeah, that's how it was described to me.   If your entire show is terminated in close proximity I doubt you will need to deal with the FAA, but.. it costs nothing to check.  Actually it costs nothing to apply other then some time. 

As for the AR glass, I got mine at Edmond Optical I think....    That was years ago though and I have no idea if they still carry it or is they are still around. 

Have fun lasing!

• The topic was locked