Light-O-Rama Forums

Whole house transmitter (again)

service call

This is going to be my first year doing LOR so I wanted to purchase everything from here so it would work. I purchased 2 controllers and the FM transmitter. I got everything and was reading the paperwork when I noticed a warning on the WHT instructions that said "use of the extension antenna is not allowed in the USA". Now I read in the other forums that most people are unhappy with the WHT. Am I going to be sorry I bought this unit ? If its that bad why is it being sold here?

Am I going to be sorry I bought this unit ?

Yep, probably.

If its that bad why is it being sold here?

We have been asking that for years.  The fact that LOR doesn't need a license from the FCC to sell them is the only logical reason.  They would be better off not selling any in my opinion (and just direct people to another source for a reputable transmitter).

You won't be disappointed with an EDM transmitter (probably all here will agree).

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

One of these models (depending on your budget) -- all will blow away the WHT.

EDM-LCD-CS-EP

EDM-TX-LCD-EP

EDM-LCD-RDS-EP  (same as TX model but has RDS)

• Like 1

Well I decided to give it a try. Hooked it up (without the so called illegal antenna extension). I was fine with the results. I could tune in the music and hear it up to 3-4 houses away. The wife said it sounded a little grainy, I didn't notice it, but that was okay. Maybe next year I'll upgrade, but for now it works.

Well I decided to give it a try. Hooked it up (without the so called illegal antenna extension). I was fine with the results. I could tune in the music and hear it up to 3-4 houses away. The wife said it sounded a little grainy, I didn't notice it, but that was okay. Maybe next year I'll upgrade, but for now it works.

I assume you bought the transmitter from LOR. I bought the same one and have not had any problems. Mine is in my downstairs with my show computer. I lay the transmitter on the window ledge. I think the range is good for me (about 3 houses from mine I can pick it up.

I assume you bought the transmitter from LOR. I bought the same one and have not had any problems. Mine is in my downstairs with my show computer. I lay the transmitter on the window ledge. I think the range is good for me (about 3 houses from mine I can pick it up.

Yes I got from here. I'm assuming if I attach the extension I could hear it further. I just laid it next to my computer with the short cord and had it in the garage. No grips on it yet. Of course I only ran for about an hour and drove around.

I have one and I am not disappointed with it. This will be my 3rd yr using the whole house. I have never had a problem. I take an old fishing pole and speaker wire wrap the speaker wire around the fishing pole and walla I have sound 10 houses down my street and 2 streets over. I hope this makes you feel better.