Light-O-Rama Forums

lights + wire frames= what am i doing wrong?

lowepg

So Im trying to setup some singing faces for halloween... last year was our first xmas show (1 16-channel controller) and I wanted to add a halloween show this year.

I got great wire frames from http://www.wireframedlites.com/

The problem is attaching the lights to the frames!

I was advised to try special wire frame light strings and 1/4" connector but they just dont seem right. The plain connectors seem to allow the lights to rotate and slide around too much. I also got some colored connectors/clips- they seem to stay put better, but then im stuck coloring all my lights? AND they cant be placed as close together.

So, I still havent bought all the lights for this project (I have the controllers and the frames) please help!

Im willing to use rope lights if those work better, or different styles, etc... but im getting nervous at the weekends slipping away

Even if I can fix the slipping lights (lots of zip ties?) it seems like the outlines are too segmented- they look like dash-lines... ? Am I nuts?

I also totally screwed up the measurements for the strings. I assumed I could place the lights 1 every 1/5 inches- so i ordered a few custom lengths and they were way off! the lights couldnt be placed that close and i ended up having too long of a string for each "channel". luckily I only bought 4-5 strings to test.

9686904665_0f4a3ece18.jpg

9690143228_abac8cb88e_z.jpg

9690143304_69813b201c_z.jpg

Edited by lowepg

I would say most people use rope light. Much much much easier

Thats what i originally THOUGHT- but then I saw a whole bunch of recommendations for the wire frame led lights... ARG.

Can you recommend a rope light provider? and do you make the lengths custom or buy them to order?

So Im trying to setup some singing faces for halloween... last year was our first xmas show (1 16-channel controller) and I wanted to add a halloween show this year.

I got great wire frames from http://www.wireframedlites.com/

The problem is attaching the lights to the frames!

I was advised to try special wire frame light strings and 1/4" connector but they just dont seem right. The plain connectors seem to allow the lights to rotate and slide around too much. I also got some colored connectors/clips- they seem to stay put better, but then im stuck coloring all my lights? AND they cant be placed as close together.

So, I still havent bought all the lights for this project (I have the controllers and the frames) please help!

Im willing to use rope lights if those work better, or different styles, etc... but im getting nervous at the weekends slipping away

Even if I can fix the slipping lights (lots of zip ties?) it seems like the outlines are too segmented- they look like dash-lines... ? Am I nuts?

I also totally screwed up the measurements for the strings. I assumed I could place the lights 1 every 1/5 inches- so i ordered a few custom lengths and they were way off! the lights couldnt be placed that close and i ended up having too long of a string for each "channel". luckily I only bought 4-5 strings to test.

9686904665_0f4a3ece18.jpg

9690143228_abac8cb88e_z.jpg

9690143304_69813b201c_z.jpgI

I'm in the same boat. I've got mine on the wire frame (same frame as yours), and I put the extra lights inside a 2" black pvc pipe. I have ordered a 150' of rope light from All things Chritmas and things. I am waiting for shipment. But if I don't get the order in time, I will still put on my show with the lights that I have on the wireframe.

How long was the shipping estimate?

I have not got an answer yet. I just ordered them. I did not order the led rope light. The none led are easier to cut and not as much waste. The way I have it figured all I need is about 30' for one wireframe. The extra for each element I will paint black.

I looked at those and the only thing that has me scratching my head is the cut lengths...

incans can be cut every 18"

leds every 36"

so incans would be a LOT more efficient/less wasteful to use (from a length, not power standpoint).

I looked at those and the only thing that has me scratching my head is the cut lengths...

incans can be cut every 18"

leds every 36"

so incans would be a LOT more efficient/less wasteful to use (from a length, not power standpoint).

That's the way I see it.

Upper left and right eye is 24"..........36" pcs ea.   12" waste

Bottom left and right is 16" each...18" each...2" waste each for 4" waste total. Gap in between the eyes should take up most of the waste.

Top lip..51"............54"....3" waste

Middle lip 65".............72".....7" waste

Bottom lip.......75"......90"...........15" Waste

O .................31".................36"  (I will overlap the 5"

BTW, aren't those clips supposed to hold the body and not the LED itself? 

All my clips on my wireframes are on the plastic socket as you're asking, never on the bulb part itself!    I never thought they should ever cover the bulb since that would block part of the bulbs illumination!

• Like 1

Just some information on the rope light. I found some LED rope you can cut at 20". See this post I replied to back in July:

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

"I bought my 3/8" LED ropelight from christmas-leds.  She has ropelight that can be cut every 20".  I received 3 power cords per roll of ropelight but you can also make your own power cables from SPT wire (which she also sells). The ordering was simple, I was emailed my confirmation quickly and the rolls of lights came quicker than quoted.  For anyone that is thinking of purchasing these items off the web this is the best review I can give:  She has the product I need in stock....Competitive price....Ordering was simple....Product shipped earlier than quoted.  It just doesn't get any better than that."

I used heat shrink to cover the extra rope where needed. Yes it took longer but I hope it will last longer too.

I have 4 wireframes. Took me a couple weekends to finish those heads. Talk about crunch time. You are indeed running out of weekends.

Also, I have seen some people just wrap the lights on the frames. Don't know how much worse they look from a distance but up close I would think it is a mess. Personally I like the rope light better. But it was a pain cutting, heat shrinking and tie wrapping them.

Just some information on the rope light. I found some LED rope you can cut at 20". See this post I replied to back in July:

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

"I bought my 3/8" LED ropelight from christmas-leds.  She has ropelight that can be cut every 20".  I received 3 power cords per roll of ropelight but you can also make your own power cables from SPT wire (which she also sells). The ordering was simple, I was emailed my confirmation quickly and the rolls of lights came quicker than quoted.  For anyone that is thinking of purchasing these items off the web this is the best review I can give:  She has the product I need in stock....Competitive price....Ordering was simple....Product shipped earlier than quoted.  It just doesn't get any better than that."

Thanks- they only have Orange rope lights left!

So how did you affix the rope lights to the frames, zip ties?

can you take a quick photo of a frame?

It looks as if you have the light clips on backwards, snap the small side of the clip onto the wireframe and the other side onto the led light socket just below the light. It is easier to put the light clips on the leds first and then the wireframe.

• Like 1

It looks as if you have the light clips on backwards, snap the small side of the clip onto the wireframe and the other side onto the led light socket just below the light. It is easier to put the light clips on the leds first and then the wireframe.

That's interesting Earle.  I actually was thinking that, but wasn't sure as I've seen some light clips that are the same size on each side.  Because a couple of the pre-wired wire frame deer I bought at Home Depot quite a few years back, those clips are the same and can go either way. 

Which I thought was strange, because 2 other wire frame deer I bought at Big Lots many more years before the Home Depot ones, they are smaller on the side that attaches to the wire frame and larger on the side that holds the light socket.  

But also seems the wire frame deer I got at big lots is also smaller in diameter than the ones I bought at Home Depot.

So guess it may depend on the manufacturer and when they were manufactured!

When buying replacement clips for those that have broken they don't always fit all my different wire frames because it appears some are thicker, while others are thinner.  

Now I'd think they'd all be pretty much a standard size and I'm sure Doug's wire frames would all be the same diameter as opposed to replacing those on regular "retail" items that may vary as mine do.  So that does make it hard to get the right clips, especially when you can't actually go and see the ones in person you may need to see if they match up to the ones you're replacing!

Orville, the reason that your wireframe clip did not fit was do to the difference in the size wire used in making the wire frame, that is why they make different size clips. Christmas-Led.com sells the clips here:

http://www.christmas-leds.com/category_v3.aspx?categoryID=386