Light-O-Rama Forums

Which RS-485 Adapter to Use and Question on Network Speed

Seattlemusicguy48

Last December I purchased my first CTB16PC controller and a simple USB485 Adapter.  I got it set up and things worked flawlessly in a very short time.

This year, we have gone a bit overboard and I now have 12 CCR's (will do the 12 strip tree), 3 sets of CCB's (looking at two sets for arches and one set for the roofline) and two additional CTB16PC's, for a total of 3 controllers.  I'd like to make sure I have my ducks in a row so as to not go into a panic mode at the last minute when I find things don't work.

The LOR 'catalog' seems to indicate that only the new USB485-HS works at the high speed (500K).  Will I need the high network speed for my CCR's and CCB's?  From what I have read on the forums, the recommendation is to not have more than about 6 CCR controllers on a network.  Should I consider purchasing two or three of the HS controllers?  I just purchased a USB485B at the summer sale but I assume its not good for the 500K speed.  At this time I am thinking of getting two HS controllers for the CCR's, and using the USB485B for the CCB's and controllers.

And finally, in the LOR software 'Network Preferences' Speed section, is the 500K speed equivalent to the 'Short Range (faster)' setting and is the 115K setting equivalent to the 'Regular' setting?

Thanks,

Ken in West Seattle

Last December I purchased my first CTB16PC controller and a simple USB485 Adapter.  I got it set up and things worked flawlessly in a very short time.

This year, we have gone a bit overboard and I now have 12 CCR's (will do the 12 strip tree), 3 sets of CCB's (looking at two sets for arches and one set for the roofline) and two additional CTB16PC's, for a total of 3 controllers.  I'd like to make sure I have my ducks in a row so as to not go into a panic mode at the last minute when I find things don't work.

The LOR 'catalog' seems to indicate that only the new USB485-HS works at the high speed (500K).  Will I need the high network speed for my CCR's and CCB's?  From what I have read on the forums, the recommendation is to not have more than about 6 CCR controllers on a network.  Should I consider purchasing two or three of the HS controllers?  I just purchased a USB485B at the summer sale but I assume its not good for the 500K speed.  At this time I am thinking of getting two HS controllers for the CCR's, and using the USB485B for the CCB's and controllers.

And finally, in the LOR software 'Network Preferences' Speed section, is the 500K speed equivalent to the 'Short Range (faster)' setting and is the 115K setting equivalent to the 'Regular' setting?

Thanks,

Ken in West Seattle

The the Network Preferences setting, 500K is equivalent to 500k(fastest). If you don't have the 500k option in your software, then you need to double check what version you are running. In reality you really shouldn't have 500k devices and non-500k devices on the same network. If you have both types of devices, it would be best to run them on separate networks. 

The HS Adapters will run at 500k, with no changes needed to be made. You will need to use the LOR Hardware Utility (if memory serves) to set the speed on the CCR/B/P controllers to 500k. You may also need to update the firmware on the devices. Some of the 'regular' USB adapters will run 500k. I don't know how you can tell other then trial and error. A few of the ones I own seemed to handle 500k just fine last season.

As for the number of CCR/B/P's on one network, I think you could safely plan for more than 6. The speeds associated with 500k allow for many more devices on the network. I would still test and see how many you really need, but as I mentioned, I'd bet you can get more than 6 on there w/out a problem (at 500k)

Thanks,

Ken in West Seattle

Ken - I have also added a 12 CCR tree to my layout this year. I ran 48 channels last year over a single standard speed adaptor. This year I have added a high speed adaptor that will run the 12 CCR, and the standard adaptor will continue to run the three CTB16PC controllers.  I have now test run the 12 CCR - and it seems to run fine.  As noted, I have kept the CCR's on the High Speed, and left the other controllers on the standard speed network.

Thanks to all for the detailed responses.  I know feel confident in how I plan to set up my configuration.  I just ordered a pair of the USB485-HS adapters which may be a bit of overkill, but which will be easy for me to set up.  I'll drive both the CCR's and the CCBulbs with them and run the controllers off one of the others I already have.

Also, as information I found that in addition to updating the LOR software (I have 3.10.6) you also need to download the latest version of the Help Manual.  I was looking at my copy of the manual (3.8.0) which did not have the information regarding the speed selections.

Now off to make sure I have the latest and greatest firmware.

Ken in West Seattle

So that brings up a very good question that I haven't read a response for yet, can the USB485-HS support high speed devices (500K) as well as slower older Gen2 PC boards (115K) on the same network? And if you had no high speed devices on the network at all, will the USB485-HS throttle down to slower speeds to support the older hardware?

So that brings up a very good question that I haven't read a response for yet, can the USB485-HS support high speed devices (500K) as well as slower older Gen2 PC boards (115K) on the same network? And if you had no high speed devices on the network at all, will the USB485-HS throttle down to slower speeds to support the older hardware?

I would not mix 500k and non-500k devices on the same network. If you've configured "Network A" to run at 500k, then older devices may not operate as expected (or at all.) So while the USB485-HS would support it, the controllers probably would not.

The USB485-HS supports "up to 500k" speeds. This means it will run the slower speeds as well.

Thanks Don, so to confirm if I wanted to use a USB485-HS for only a 57k~115k network I'm good to go? Just wanted to confirm before realizing at the last minute.

Thanks Don, so to confirm if I wanted to use a USB485-HS for only a 57k~115k network I'm good to go? Just wanted to confirm before realizing at the last minute.

I have nothing that would cause me to think otherwise.

Indi,

I am about 99% sure that 2012 was definitely Gen3 and 100% sure that the one you bought this year is Gen3. I am pretty sure that if you open the front cover the model and version is written on the motherboard itself around the Cat5 connectors. If not, To check just plug the controller in and attach it to the computer and use the hardware utility to find out.

Indi,

I am about 99% sure that 2012 was definitely Gen3 and 100% sure that the one you bought this year is Gen3. I am pretty sure that if you open the front cover the model and version is written on the motherboard itself around the Cat5 connectors. If not, To check just plug the controller in and attach it to the computer and use the hardware utility to find out.

I found on the mother board is says (CTB16PCG2). But the sticker on the front of the unit say ( Light O Rama CTB16PCg3). Now I'm totally confused.

Thanks for the response.

I found on the mother board is says (CTB16PCG2). But the sticker on the front of the unit say ( Light O Rama CTB16PCg3). Now I'm totally confused.

Thanks for the response.

The "CTB16PCG2" is nothing more than what boils down to a printing error. You have a G3 controller.

The "CTB16PCG2" is nothing more than what boils down to a printing error. You have a G3 controller.

Thank you Don. I checked and I bought the starter package on 10/12/13 and got the second controller on 11/1/12. Thank make me feel better. As I have set everything to run on high speed.

Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything inside of the usb 485 to tell you what version it is?  How about the isolated 485's?  I have several bought at different times and they all look the same on the outside.

Is there anything inside of the usb 485 to tell you what version it is?  How about the isolated 485's?  I have several bought at different times and they all look the same on the outside.

I don't know. Have never opened one up.

1. How can I tell if my 16 channel controllers are Gen 3? I bought my first two in 2012. May last one was  2013.

Thanks

If you power up the controller and open it up if you see a flashing green led it is a Gen 3 if it is a red led it is a Gen 2 or 1.

If you power up the controller and open it up if you see a flashing green led it is a Gen 3 if it is a red led it is a Gen 2 or 1.

Thanks Joe. I guess I'll have to wait until one of my children to come by to check it out for me. I'm color blind. LOL!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and bought two high speed adapters just to be sure that I wouldn't have any problems using the high speed. I just got them today and noticed a driver cd with them. Does anybody know if I need to load this driver, or will the drivers for the 115 speed work with the new adapters?

The first adapter I got with my controllers was last year. And the second was the this summer.

Thanks

I went ahead and bought two high speed adapters just to be sure that I wouldn't have any problems using the high speed. I just got them today and noticed a driver cd with them. Does anybody know if I need to load this driver, or will the drivers for the 115 speed work with the new adapters?

The first adapter I got with my controllers was last year. And the second was the this summer.

Thanks

I haven't loaded new USB485 drivers in ages. Unless something isn't working as expected, I wouldn't worry about updating the USB485 drivers on your system.