Light-O-Rama Forums

Smart RGB LEDs LOR DMX help

USCS31

Ok. Wasnt sure if I should post hete or in "newbies" section. I have 3 light o rama commercial units 16 channels each. I want to do an all Smart LED light show but I'm not quite sure about the whole scenario. I'm confused! To use DMX with light o rama units; do I still use one plug per strip or do I purchase a LOR CMD24 (I think that's the model number) and run (12 or 16) led strips to that and then one plug or dongle goes from CMD24 to LOR unit? If so, can all the led's be individually controlled? Maybe I'm confusing myself! I put the money aside to buy everything but I'm not sure what to buy :( thanks for any help or advice!

I think you meant the CMB24. This is just a DC controller. You will only be able to control color on your strings, assuming you bought "dumb" pixel strings.

If you have 3 LOR controllers, and a CMB24, you are not going to do an all "smart" show. LOR controllers are AC only.

To be able to individually control LEDs like you are describing, you would have to output E1.31 to what is called a Pixel controller. LOR does support this.

Let me suggest some reading material for you to peruse. It is an excellent reference document that describes, Smart vs dumb, pixels vs LEDs etc...

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.msg17038.html#msg17038

Keep asking questions, that how you learn.

• Like 2

If you're looking for simple and smart, consider the LOR Cosmic products; they just plug into the existing network and you program them right away.

There are other Do It Yourself solutions, but they get very technical very quick.

The LOR products are Plug-and-Play and LOR stands behind them if you need help; that's what you pay a little extra for.

• Like 1

If you're looking for simple and smart, consider the LOR Cosmic products; they just plug into the existing network and you program them right away.

There are other Do It Yourself solutions, but they get very technical very quick.

The LOR products are Plug-and-Play and LOR stands behind them if you need help; that's what you pay a little extra for.

Agreed Ken. I should have provided a bit of this info as well. Thanks.

• Like 1

I think you meant the CMB24. This is just a DC controller. You will only be able to control color on your strings, assuming you bought "dumb" pixel strings.

If you have 3 LOR controllers, and a CMB24, you are not going to do an all "smart" show. LOR controllers are AC only.

To be able to individually control LEDs like you are describing, you would have to output E1.31 to what is called a Pixel controller. LOR does support this.

Let me suggest some reading material for you to peruse. It is an excellent reference document that describes, Smart vs dumb, pixels vs LEDs etc...

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.msg17038.html#msg17038

Keep asking questions, that how you learn.

what a great answer, that deserved a like from me.

• The topic was locked