Light-O-Rama Forums

HWU can't find USB/RS485 adapter

Donl1150

Hi Greg. Tried what you suggested and still no luck. Yes I did run it from the CD as well. I think I will go pick up a new laptop tomorrow and try that. My Toshiba seems to give me the blue screen of death periodically anyway.

Don

Don, 

Before you drop the coin on a new computer (that's light money, after all!), try plugging the adapter into a different USB port.  It should get assigned a different COM port number; see if that works.  

If you get really stuck, I am willing to get on the phone and a remote WebEx session and see if we can't get you operational. 

Joe

Thanks Joe.  Already tried that.  I appreciate the offer but I needed the new computer anyway.  Picked it up today, fired it up and installed LOR.  Then I installed drivers from disc before I plugged in USB.  It found the controller right away.  Plugged in a couple of light strings.....no luck.  Tried my other controller......and the lights worked!  Both of these are my first controllers ..... self assembled.  I will have to check that first one, must be a loose connection somewhere.

Now on to the fun (hard) stuff......learning how to sequence.  Good thing I still have this halo on since I don't have enough time to set up a show anyway this year.  This should allow me enough time for 2014.

Don

Don, Glad everything worked out (Plus a new LT yay !!)

The big thing about sequences, is the following::::::

1) CBR (Constant Bit Rate) your MP3's MUST be CBR, there is a post somewhere about this, AND the FREE software needed to do this to your MP3's.

2) Tempo, finding the tempo of the song, LOR does a good job, IF your mp3's are CBR'ed.

3) Use the visual song display to watch "the beat", this will give you a great idea of what is what within the song.

As Far as your dead board, check component orientation against the good board as a sample of "what is correct" usually one item is wrong, BUT the end result is the entire board is dead (somewhat like a flat tire...... It's only flat on one side, can't I drive on the rest of it ???? ")

Greg

• The topic was locked