Light-O-Rama Forums

Timing glitch

Steppe Wolfe

I have been sequencing a song that has a bassline and drums. I initially tapped it out with the wizard, then adjusted the marks using the play selection mode.

When I went back to play the whole sequence, the later events occur out of sequence with the sound, occuring before the audio beat.
When play selection is used again, they sync properly again.

Win XP
LOR SE 1.6.3
Sequence time 5:05
Music time 5:10
Bit rate 56kbps Stereo
Sample rate 22khz

Any ideas ?

I get this problem intermittantly, I usually just stop then hit play again and it resolves. Mostly notice this right after I load a file. I, too, am running 1.6.3 on XP. I need to switch it to 1.6.1 and haven't gotten around to it yet. After all of my probs with 1.6.3 and my Win ME computer, I have no plans to use that version until I have to.

I have been told that if you convert your audio files to WAV format (or just rip them directly from the CD to WAV format) then this and similar problems will be solved. This will result in your audio files being much bigger, but disk space is cheap now.

I tried playing the sequence with the wav file and I had the same effect. I suspect that it has to do with a cumlative effect when playing a selection, slowly the sync between the music and events degrade until you play the the sequence from the beginning.

The other thing is that the other tap line I did is still correct, so what I am going to do is tap the affected instrument line again and move the events to match.

I experienced this with 1.6.3 on XP as well. The challenge has been in adusting the timing in later segments of the sequence. I have stepped through 'visible screen' segments and gotten them precisely synched to the audio and waveform. Then when I played the entire sequence, I found that the events strayed from the music.

It made no difference whether the audio was .mp3 or .wav.

I back-leveled from 1.6.3 to 1.6.1 and now I'm back to the precision that I achieved last year.

Mike

sig1lor9mm.gifsig-chan-128.gif

There are some known issues with using mp3 files as the source material, although I can't say if that includes the problem you're having.

But it wouldn't take much time to figure it out....If you convert the file to a .wav file and try it again, that will tell you real quick if it is related to the mp3 file....

Randy

How easy is to go back to 1.6.1 from 1.6.3 ? I got the download-only package so I don't have an early version to revert to.
Can you just install 1.6.1 update to regress the version, or or do you need a good buddy with an early full version and install the update from there?

I am not sure what the 1.6.3 buys you. The discussions around 1.6.3, is IF you are on Vista, use it. If you are still on XP 1.6.1 is what you need to be using. Not sure if this has anything to do with your issue or not.

Steppe Wolfe wrote:

How easy is to go back to 1.6.1 from 1.6.3 ?

I just re-installed the 1.6.1 over the installed 1.6.3 and it went fine.

In my system, I had previously upgraded from 1.5.0 to 1.6.1 then to 1.6.3, then back to 1.6.1. It may be different for you since you're starting from a newer version, but by rights it shouldn't be.

You can download the 1.6.1 upgrade from the L-O-R Support page. Give it a try and see how it goes.

Mike

sig1lor9mm.gifsig-chan-128.gif

Trying to install the 1.6.1 upgrade download from the LOR site over the 1.6.3 didn't work for me. I also had the dl only version of 1.6.3. I've never installed an earlier version. I guess that I need to contact Dan to see if it would be possible to get the 1.6.1 version.

Matt

This is my first year with LOR and I only have the "test" version (1.6.2 runnign on XP) and I ran into this same timing problem. I initially took the shotgun approach to fixing the problem... I cut and pasted the end of the sequence about 4 tenths of a second later. However, I have now completed five sequences and have had this problem with the first three of them. The only common factor among those MP3s is that there was several seconds of silence of at the end of the MP3.

I have since been very careful to make sure that the size of the sequence (total time) is within a second or two of the MP3. The two sequences that I have created since taking this approach have NOT had this problem.

Just my two cents and it has worked for me.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem - timing looks good when play visible screen but when I play full version the timing gets off about .5 sec or so when I am about 3 minutes into the song - first 3 minutes works perfect every time. I am brand new to this so if anyone has suggestions please help. Running 1.6.1 - running 64 channels, I did make sure the MP3 was not variable bit rate - I also did get rid of the extra sequence after the end of the song per the last suggestion - so far nothing helps. This is my second sequence that I programmed - the first one was fine???

Any help would be appreciated.

Guest wbottomley

David Wolf wrote:

I'm having the same problem - timing looks good when play visible screen but when I play full version the timing gets off about .5 sec or so when I am about 3 minutes into the song - first 3 minutes works perfect every time. I am brand new to this so if anyone has suggestions please help. Running 1.6.1 - running 64 channels, I did make sure the MP3 was not variable bit rate - I also did get rid of the extra sequence after the end of the song per the last suggestion - so far nothing helps. This is my second sequence that I programmed - the first one was fine???

Any help would be appreciated.

Convert it to a wav file then everything will be n time.