Light-O-Rama Forums

pixels LOR and nutcracker help

digdeepfundraising

HI all its been a while since ive been in here as ive been busy playing lights

right i have E682 TO MAKE A 16X50 PIXEL MARTIX with nutcracker

i can create and export the seq to lor but when i try and copy and paste it over it crashes every time

im using a I5 with 8 gig of ram and as i copy and paste (through windows task manager im using 16% CPU and 47% RAMing  )

It doesnt matter if i copy 50 or 2 at a time it always crashes ?????

anyone got any idea why .....am i going over the LOR threshold

im pulling my hair out

• 2 months later...

Maybe you need to keep the NutCracker LOR sequence as a separate file and not copy the contents over to your original LOR sequence.  Maybe you can have the original LOR sequence "call upon" the newly created NutCracker LOR sequence?

Stan

The issue is probably the 2Gb virtual memory limitation of the software (MOST software, not just LOR).

I was having the same issue when pasting large amounts of data.  LOR would chug along for a while and finally crash.  I even tried breaking the data up into smaller amounts pasting them a bit at a time, but when I got to a certain point, it would die a horrible death.

Somebody posted this link:  http://ntcore.com/files/4gb_patch.zip  to patch software to use 4Gb of virtual memory, which has reportedly eliminated/reduced this problem.  It sure helped me.

Hope it helps.

Jamie

Stan's answer is the best solution I've found.  Otherwise short songs/voice-overs seem to copy OK, but not a regular length song.  In those cases I've copied 1-3 Universes at a time save & exit LOR & re-start with the next Universes.  This is time consuming, but it works.  Saving between copies doesn't help.  I'm guessing closing the LOR software clears it's buffer - likely a memory bug within LOR.

Just out of curiosity, what is the max file size for an LOR file, that will be still usable (and playable during a Christmas show)?  If you look at some (or one) of the tutorials for NutCracker, the xLights (converted to LOR) file is HUGE!

I'm talking over 1GB for one .lms file!

I'm wondering if there is a way to keep the DMX sequence within xLights, and if there is a way to "call upon" the xLights sequence from within LOR?  This is similar to how you interface Madrix with LOR.

Will this (huge file size) problem be the same if you used Vegomatic/Marquee/SpEx instead of xLights?

Stan

Will this (huge file size) problem be the same if you used Vegomatic/Marquee/SpEx instead of xLights?

No!    Clipboard files for LOR SE created by Marquee are much smaller for the same effect.   

• Like 1

The issue is probably the 2Gb virtual memory limitation of the software (MOST software, not just LOR).

I was having the same issue when pasting large amounts of data.  LOR would chug along for a while and finally crash.  I even tried breaking the data up into smaller amounts pasting them a bit at a time, but when I got to a certain point, it would die a horrible death.

Somebody posted this link:  http://ntcore.com/files/4gb_patch.zip  to patch software to use 4Gb of virtual memory, which has reportedly eliminated/reduced this problem.  It sure helped me.

Hope it helps.

Jamie

I'm the one who originally posted the 4gb patch. It works perfectly! Also be sure to turn off auto undo recording. If you have done both of those you should be able to copy/paste 20+ universes all day without crashing.

Well kind of not crash.. LOL  Once you do the patch monitor your ram use and when you see it get around 3 gig save and reopen LOR and you will be fine. Turning off undo helps a lot like Andy said above.

Jeff

No!    Clipboard files for LOR SE created by Marquee are much smaller for the same effect.   

Oh, shucks, I guess I really need to figure out how to use Vegomatic, Marquee and SpEx instead of Nutcracker's bloatware.

Stan

• 3 weeks later...

OK having the same issue I guess.

I created Sequences in Nutcraker (3.2.3) opened LOR and tried to copy in the CLIPBOARD to the LOR Sequence. LOR crashes after a while. I am only coping in 5 Universes.

How do I save fewer universes in NutCracker?

What other tricks am I missing?

Thank You,

You don't need to copy all of them at the same time.  Also turning OFF (un checking)  "Enable Undo Recording" under "Edit" has made a BIG difference.

sounds like a common problem, I run into this too!!!

Since nutcracker does not assign universe numbers in LOR and I can't seem to group and assign universes to numerous pixels in LOR I end up creating a group in the nutcracker exported sequence -- then copy and paste one universe at a time into a new sequence with my saved channel setup.

I do one universe at a time and save every two to three universes, it takes some time, but I only have 13-14 universes so it's not too bad.  

I use the patch and copy 16 half full uni's and paste without an issue. I always keep a close eye on useage just in case I get close.

Jeff

I did get my 5 universes to copy properly last night. I went in an unchecked the auto undo recording and that seemed to be enough to make the trick work.  Now I just have to get my 800 pixel tree created properly in Visualizer so that I can see if everything works correctly.

Thank You for the tips, Harrison0550

• 2 weeks later...
OK having the same issue I guess.

I created Sequences in Nutcraker (3.2.3) opened LOR and tried to copy in the CLIPBOARD to the LOR Sequence. LOR crashes after a while. I am only coping in 5 Universes.

How do I save fewer universes in NutCracker?

What other tricks am I missing?

Thank You,

Be aware that nutcracker exports all the channels defined in the setup page, it does not output just the channels in the model. This was done so people could import in a sequence, add nutcracker effects and then export the entir set of channels.

If you are just creating effects in nutcracker without first I potting in lms do this

1) setup. Define enough universes to cover your model

2) create your models to start with channel 1

3) create nutcracker effects on the model

4) export as a clipboard file, *.lcb

5) paste this file to the actual location in your sequence where you want it.

If you do this your export files will be much smaller.