Light-O-Rama Forums

Ray Wu has gone again

plasmadrive

Ok.. Ray has gone missing again.  He is not answering emails going on 2-3 weeks.  I did send me a data sheet a week ago that I requested several weeks back.. then nothing.

So my question is, anyone heard from him within the last few days?   Is he answering emails for you? 

He responded to two of my contact requests on Aliexpress last week...........and shipped my order within 3 days of payment.

Steve

Just FYI for those that don't know....Rays sister has had some medical issues he's been tending to. I ordered from him 3 weeks ago and even though correspondence was slow I still got all my goods a week ago

I had some questions about a large order and he answered the mext day.  I e-mailed the order on Tuesday and he responded on Wednesday.  Then I got a confirmation e-mail on Saturday.

Hopefully, whatever issues he had have been resolved.

Just FYI for those that don't know....Rays sister has had some medical issues he's been tending to. I ordered from him 3 weeks ago and even though correspondence was slow I still got all my goods a week ago

This must be new.  Last time I asked this question she was in some sort of accident.  I asked him about her and he said she was fine and all was well. 

I ordered a bunch of stuff from him and he has some manufacturing issues that delayed shipment for 2-3 weeks.   Finally I received everything and all is good except...

The DMX to 2811 converters were not as described on his web site.  He said he would take them back if I wanted.  I have not yet decided.

As well, the strips I ordered came as 2812B instead of the 2811. That is ok.. newer stuff.  But.. the voltage drop from one end of the strip to the other is so bad that the what is cool white at one end is very warm white, almost yellow at the other.  I explained that to him and also told him for my purpose it was ok because I was going to cut them up into smaller strips. 

So now we get to the questions part  I had a few questions regarding other issues. He has yet to answer

I just heard from Ray.  I messaged him thru Alibaba yesterday and today he sent me a message that he will answer my questions soon.  At least he is not dead!  Not sure what "soon" means.. but at least he did respond finally. 

Lol, I would think the amount of time it would take to tell you he was going to answer your quetions would be close to what it would take to answer the questions!!

Is the voltage drop on the 2812B because of the IC or the ribbon itself?

I have a theory about Ray... I think he gets so many emails that he prioritizes them with the intention of getting back to the ones he feels don't generate direct sales.   Then as time passes he gets further and further behind and emails get skipped.  I know that when I was doing large project management I had to be careful as that happened to me a few times. 

Shubb,

The drop is because of the ribbon itself.  The traces are not massive enough to carry the current without the voltage drop at 5 meters.  There is about a 2 volt drop across the strip.  When you start with 5VDC losing 2 is not a good thing.  It needs to be fed from both ends.   The weird part is that on the dumb strips, they work fine at 5 meters... of course they are 12vdc and not 5vdc.  Percentage of drop is far less.

Placed my order back on July 3rd -- It has not shipped yet  :(   I did ask if I should extend the order time and he replied quickly with a yes please.   I'm not freaking out yet though. 

I wouldn't panic yet.. I would imagine he will get to it.  I think there are just not enough of him to go around..

I find myself strangely tolerant towards Ray.... Not sure why... :blink:

He sent me an email last night apologizing for taking so long to get back to me.. he said he would get my answers that day (his day).. still no answers.. I like dealing with him.. just don't like the long silence when I ask questions. 

Hate to jump on this bandwagon, but it's actually why I came here this evening.  I've also had some very slow communication from him, mine is about an order I placed on 19 July, and I'm just inquiring on a guestimate as to when it may ship.  It's no small order as I'm completely overhauling my display this year in pixels. I haven't heard from him since last Wednesday, and I emailed him again this past Monday through Alibaba, still nothing.   :/

I think the reason people work with ray is he is a guy who probably deals with close to a million dollars in cash sent his way each year (last year, 1 person bought 70,000 rgb pixels).

I sent him $1500 last year via paypal. That is trust. send cash oversees. In the last 4 years no one has ever said he ripped them off.

Last year, i did have slow status updates from him. I told him the secret to good customer sat is communication.

If it is going to take 2 more weeks, just a small ping will settle nerves.

I get the feeling he is running pretty full with the amount of orders. He really needs another person whose job is just to status the 100's of customers.

I will order through him again., i expect i may get slow updates on status.

sean

Sean,

Your right.  I have been in communication with Ray quite a bit lately, as recently as yesterday. He is the man with the goodies, and he also has a very full plate of clients.  Last time I spoke with him on the phone was quite a while ago, but all issues aside that folks may seem to have, he is a very honest man.  It may be hard for him with both the language difference and the time difference, not forgetting the cultural difference as well.

I'm not trying to excuse away any issues - I just know he has a bunch going on and the factories can only punch out so much at a time. Our last order had almost 40 different line items, to the tune of over $7K in material alone, and 80% of that arrived quickly.

Give  it some time - and please and thank you goes a long way.

Lowell

• 2 weeks later...

I've had to extend my order time twice now (to avoid cancellation)  after the first extension Ray sent me a "thanks for your help, i will send out next week,very sorry for the delay.
best regards" the next day.  That was back on July 25th, and I've not heard from him since.   My Pixel one from San Devices arrived the other day and I'm itching to give it a try  :D

If any of you hear from him, let us know that he's still alive  ;)