Light-O-Rama Forums

Possible issue with S3 v3.10.6 & speed control - request for files

LOR Staff

We've seen a couple of sporadic reports that the new 3.10.6 version can not control play speed in the sequence editor.  That is to say that 1/4, 1/2, and/or double speed playback may not be working.  Unfortunately, we haven't been able to duplicate the issue and need a larger sample set.

If you are experiencing this issue, please  send me an eMail (mike at lightorama) with the MP3/Media file attached, along with a ZIPed copy of your sequence.  It is possible that only 1 or 2 speed options are not working -- for example it may be that 1/2 speed doesn't work but 1/4 and double do.  Let me know what speeds are not working and which are for the files attached. 

Thanks.

Sequence and mp3 sent Mike, one thing I didn't mention in the e-mail was that I don't have any controllers hooked to the computer and I don't have the control panel running.

Interesting that this is associated with 3.10.6. I have never had a version that will play 1/4 speed. Running Win 7 and WMP12. Tried numerous times with MP3 and WAV files.

I did notice that it will build a copy that will allow you to play at 1/4 speed. I do it all the time on my computer using the newest version of LOR. Got to say iot does sound funny to listen to it. LOL

Jeff

Add me to the list. I upgraded from 3.9 to 3.10.6 a few minutes ago. I opened a prior made sequence  When it imported the mp3, which was already passed through Audacity and was already linked to the sequence, it "analyzed and converted" it. I then chose 1/2 speed, it played at regular speed, I then chose 1/4 speed, it played at regular speed. So I created a new blank sequence, linked an Audacity converted mp3 to it, and it still will not play at the slower speeds. It does not play at faster speeds either. I had Audacity constant bitrate set to 192 on all my mp3s.

XP pack 3

I emailed you the requested files Mike

Edited by copotay

Little update, beginning with a fresh sequence I tried using an mp3 that was not passed through Audacity, it did the same thing. I then took an mp3 and converted it to Wav through Audacity, it did the same thing.

I am starting to see a pattern.  We probably don't need anymore files, but we do need some more info.

Everyone (even if it appears to be working for you) --- If you are running V3.10.6  -> Please see what speeds are and are NOT working.  Then post here your Windows VERSION (XP/Vista/7/8), along with which speeds are/are not working.

To be a REALLY big help, you can post some diagnostic information as well.  Follow these instructions:

Open up Windows Media Player.  When it opens, press ALT, and you should see a menu pop up.  From  there go to HELP then  About Windows Media Player.    At the bottom you  should see a link that says  'Technical Support Information'.  Click that.

Your browser should open up with a bunch of info.  Copy  and paste that into a message here.  

If you prefer, you can send the file directly to me via eMail:  In the address bar of your  browser you will find the temporary file it created. ATTACH that  to an eMail (that will preserve all the pretty formatting).

For example, in IE the one I create shows as:

"C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp\wmpsupport.htm"

In Chrome it shows as:

"file:///C:/Users/Mike/AppData/Local/Temp/wmpsupport.htm"

(The file is located on your computer AFTER the "file:///" part, and you'll  have to change the /s to  \s)

Please don't just send the link ->  Since it's a file on your computer I won't be able to see it.  In your mail program, select ATTACH and then browse to the file.  (Pro top:  You can copy the link from the IE address bar and paste it into the 'Open File' box and the system will find it automagically)

Thanks to everyone who sent files and reports.  We think we have a handle on how to fix this now.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes and no.  We keep having a 1 step forwards 1 step back on this issue.  The problem is we have so many different options now it's getting confusing.  So we've decided to take a step back and re-think it.

Good afternoon Mike,

I wish you all the best in choosing a good option we Lor-users will be happy with.

regards

Dick

The netherlands

• 3 weeks later...

3.10.8 is now out.  Officially it is a beta, however if you are on 3.10.6 I would immediately switch over to 3.10.8.

The speed issue has been mostly fixed (on my computer at least), the only thing that isn't working for me is the 1/4th speed, it plays at 1/2 speed. The 2X and 4X work fine.

We are aware of the 1/4 and 1/2 sounding the same on a lot of media.  Unfortunately, that appears to be a function of newer Windows Media Players.  Windows Media Player does still allow for it with some media (albeit a very limited number), so we left it in there.

You can turn OFF all the new media handling by de-selecting the 'Use Internal Media' option in the 'Edit' menu.  That will force the SE to handle media just as it did before 3.10, and may help.  However, you'll probably find that 1/4 and 1/2 still sound the same.

dear Mike,

just to let you know

Even on the Macintosh  Imac 27" with fusion 5 and Vista home premium the sound problem  ( distorted sound very often ) seems solved, no more distorted sounds so far, tested for about an half hour  now. normally in 3.10.6 every few minutes distorted sounds when playin in the sequencer.

more testing dome the next few days.

Thank you

Dick de Wit

The Netherlands