Light-O-Rama Forums

Are controllers CSA?

Guest guest

LightORama wrote:

blearning wrote:
Dan if you need some help getting it certified let me know, I have the contacts for you and it will be a little bit more then 2500 for your tests if you are the manufacturer, we spend between $7000 and $30,000 for our controllers.

Have a great year

Blearning,

Thanks! We have successfully gone through certification on one of our controllers and we do have a test lab just a few miles away that we used. I may take you up on some advice..

On the business side of things....

I have to add to what blearning said. Of course keep in mind every state and it's inspectors are different but in Oklahoma City, they require a higher rated cord (the round thicker cords) than just lamp/zip cord. With my amusement ride business, I had to replace every 2 wire extension cord (I bought from a store) and had to replace it to their mandated ratings. Even for a temp thing, I had to do that. I hope this won't effect you but it's possible. Check with your city office Electrical Inspector and get the facts before getting too deap in this. Hundreds or thousands of feet of cord replacement might be very costly. I'm looking into this issue with my inspectors as well. Residential shows are for the most part not a huge concern but when getting in the business side of things, look out.

Just my 2 cents, Tom

Santas Helper wrote:

I have to add to what blearning said. Of course keep in mind every state and it's inspectors are different but in Oklahoma City, they require a higher rated cord (the round thicker cords) than just lamp/zip cord. With my amusement ride business, I had to replace every 2 wire extension cord (I bought from a store) and had to replace it to their mandated ratings. Even for a temp thing, I had to do that. I hope this won't effect you but it's possible. Check with your city office Electrical Inspector and get the facts before getting too deap in this. Hundreds or thousands of feet of cord replacement might be very costly. I'm looking into this issue with my inspectors as well. Residential shows are for the most part not a huge concern but when getting in the business side of things, look out.

Just my 2 cents, Tom

Thanks Tom, good advice. The cords we use and sell are UL approved and we use outdoor/weather resistant cords. They are the round cords that you mention.

LightORama wrote:

Santas Helper wrote:

Just my 2 cents, Tom

Thanks Tom, good advice. The cords we use and sell are UL approved and we use outdoor/weather resistant cords. They are the round cords that you mention.

Thanks Dan, how much are your cords? I might have overlooked them on your web sight.

Tom

LightORama wrote:

Santas Helper wrote:
Thanks Dan, how much are your cords? I might have overlooked them on your web sight.

Tom
Do not recall off the top of my head. You can check at http://store.lightorama.com/accessories.html

Thanks Dan, I found it. And yes, the SJTW type cord is what they required me to use. It could be a 2 wire or 3 wire as long as it was SJ series. Looking at what you have, I'm thinking longer 2 wire cords for my lights. But, before I go and buy a lot of them, I'm going to check with the city inspectors FIRST to see if the lamp cord might be acceptible for the light show (I doubt it though). It doesn't cost anything to ask.

Thanks again Dan, Tom