Light-O-Rama Forums

CCB or CCP

sasmuse

I'm looking to jump into the "pixel pool". Some questions (and if these are answered somewhere else please let me know.)

1. why do I need pixels and bulbs?

2. Is one better for certain applications? If so, what?

3. Is one easier to work with than the other?

4. Is one more functional than the other?

I'm trying to absorb as much info as I can before plunking down my limited lighting budget.

Thanks,

Sally

Why do you need pixels.... why does a ring need a diamond?  It's the "Bling" factor.  They provide that unexpected sparkle and element of mystery to a display. 

Here's what I'm doing this year with CCP.  The actual lights start about 8 seconds into the clip.  It's a 30 second sequence of Wizards in Winter.

http://sdrv.ms/12iaGsP

I used CCP in this element because I built my trees to fold up for storage in the off season.  Though the CCB would look great, they'd hit each other when the tree folds up.  I'd think the CCB would be best for things like gutters, eves and such.  To give you a size comparison, this tree is four foot tall, but I designed it to be expandable up to seven feet.

Like rainy said, the bulbs are, I think, better for rooflines and bigger trees.

I have 4 sets of the CCPs and will use one set on arches, with the pixels inside of PEX tubing, the second set will be used for a 2 leg spiral tree, again in PEX, and the 3rd and 4th sets, to outline my 4 upstairs windows, using J-channel.

With the exception of price the only difference that I know of, is the Bulbs have their own diffuser. I'm using the PEX as a diffuser. They are essentially the same pixels, other than that.

Thanks for the info. what do you mean by diffuser? Do I have to have a diffuser for any kind of pixel light or just the ccp's?

No, a diffuser is not necessary. It just spreads the light from a point source to a plane source. In other words, point at yourself with your index finger. That would be the point source. Now, turn your hand and look at your palm, theres your plane source. Sorry, point and plane are terms I use in work. A lot of folks may not know exactly what those terms are.

Before I get off on another tangent, look at my videos on my website. The 8 leg tree is CCPs inside of 1" split wire loom. Also look up harrison0550 and look at his vids. His arches are pixels in PEX tubing

• Like 1

Another way to think of diffuser is think of looking at lightbulbs, (like a normal 60, or 100 watt table lamp style) most are  "frosted" on the inside, this is the diffuser in them, old style bulbs were totally clear, the light was "point source" you could see the filament in the bulb, and in general was "harsh" to look at.

translucent or transparent....... (frosted or clear).

Greg

• 1 year later...

2 year newbie here, what program to you use to create dancing arches using CCP. thank you

All you need is S3 Advanced.

2 year newbie here, what program to you use to create dancing arches using CCP. thank you

Honestly superstar is the easiest quickest way for me

I looked at super star & i didn't see were to make arches. just trees and what is S3? i paid for the advance version of LOR

S3 is the sequencing software and LOR sells it. When you state you have "the advanced version of LOR", you actually have S3 Advanced

• The topic was locked