Light-O-Rama Forums

Am I crazy? Are we all crazy? Does it matter?

tbetgeorge

So it shouldn't matter what other people think, I know I do this for myself. My friends, however, think I've gone off the deep end, ha! This year I decided to dive in head first into LOR and am using literally all of my money after paying bills on my first LOR setup. I usually travel with any extra money I have (not a lot as I am a teacher), but after going to almost everywhere I really care to in the past few years, I think I'm done and just want to be a LOR caveman. Gonna sacrifice any travel and other spending so I can build a setup I'm proud of. I know we're not competing, but I'd hate to put up a really lame setup when so many of you have done such amazing work! Am I crazy? Are we all crazy? Does it matter? I figure a few of you are probably insane like me and could relate...

Edited by tbetgeorge

Welcome to the addiction!!!!

(as I sit here working on sequences in 90 degree temps)  

Oh, by the way,  say goodbye to your spare time   :D

I am right there with you George!  I could've started small, but spent (what I feel) is a ton of money, and this is my first year!  I know some veterans have much more invested, but I decided to put the extra money in, to make sure it looks the way I want it!  I was calling myself crazy at one point, but I have confidence that it will all pay off come Thanksgiving when I turn on the lights for the first time!

Ya can't be that crazy...  I literally starved myself for three months to win a weight loss contest that had a  cash prize at the end.  Taking second place in the contest was how I paid for my first controller.  That was just last year.  In the months following my win, I bartered, sold stuff from other hobbies, worked odd jobs, and received a scholarship from the Newbie Fund.  By the end of the year, I had four controllers, and then this year I picked up several more through more of the same methods.  Now at this year I have 128 channels.  It's possible to grow fast, you just have to be creative.  And YES people will think you are STRANGE and INSANE 11 months out of the year........THEN for some reason in December you are a genius and neighborhood hero... somethings you just can't understand. 

We have a description for your condition and most of us suffer from it

You have the CLAP

Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem

Welcome to the hobby

Welcome to the addiction!!!!

(as I sit here working on sequences in 90 degree temps)

Oh, by the way, say goodbye to your spare time :D

dusty, you had spare time?

George, you will know when it is serious when every song you hear you think...how can I sequence that...will know it's a problem when you can't remember when you started thinking that!

Edited by dgtlpro

this is our first year as well.  after playing around in visualizer with what we want to do for our first year it looks like we will be needing 96-112 channels for our first year.  lol

dusty, you had spare time? George, you will know when it is serious when every song you hear you think...how can I sequence that...will know it's a problem when you can't remember when you started thinking that!

OMG, it's serious. When I used to listen to my iPod at the gym it was to keep me going - now I'm just distracted imagining lights...

yep i think i got it too..... just a rough guess, got about $6500 into this hobby going on 2nd. year. this year up from 16 ch. to 64 chs. and 10 RGB chs.  Keep thinking No Time!! No Time!!!!

I am counting the days and already seeing what I might not get done. All my friends think I am crazy, but it sure does feel good to see kids standing outside smiling and watching the show during Christmas.

Keep on smiling & lighting up the world.... this is probably the most fun we all can have legally   :)  , and to  watch the happy faces of the big and little kids,  kinda makes it all worth while for me!

Dear tbetgeorge,

Yes, you are crazy, we all are crazy- But it's the good kind.   Does it matter?, Yes, and the confirmation is in the faces of the folks who stop and watch all our sparkly stuff.

(of course there is a percentage who watch and think that this guy is 3 bulbs short of a full string- but that's their issue)

As mentioned in a reply above- We got's the CLAP.  Welcome to the infection! (or addiction, if you prefer)

I am pretty sure my family thinks I am crazy. This will be my first LOR show so I don't think they know what to expect, and frankly, never having seen a show "in person" i'm not sure either. As the boxes of equipment and lights start to arrive, and I start to put up lights, I think I am just going to have to ask that they give it 1 year to see what it's like before they put me in confinement.

Welcome, you will love our obsessed family. I would do anything for anyone of these members. They are my brothers and sisters from another mother.

If you are going to have an addictions, this is a good one to have to feed.

agree with all then you start looking for songs that no one has done yet looking at othes sites to get ideas you live on u-tube looking crazy times love it

The only people I've gotten the "you're crazy" response from are ones who ba-humbug even putting static lights on their front bushes, because it's "too commercial".  Whatever.  I'm not doing it for them.  Last year was my first year doing this, and I quickly realized why I do it.  Besides the awe of my own children, a couple of times I saw a car stop in my driveway and the kids had their faces pressed up against the car window, staring in amazement.  So am I crazy.  Well, duh..., but it's all good to me.