Light-O-Rama Forums

DIO32

monkey141

Hello All,

I am looking at getting into some animatronics this year and I am wondering, does the DIO32 card give me 32 servo control ports or 16? I have read through the documentation several times and I am still unclear. Also, are there any reasons to choose the servo dog over the DIO32 besides port density needs?

Any assistance you can provide would be great! 

Thanks,

Mike

Hello All,

I am looking at getting into some animatronics this year and I am wondering, does the DIO32 card give me 32 servo control ports or 16? I have read through the documentation several times and I am still unclear. Also, are there any reasons to choose the servo dog over the DIO32 besides port density needs?

Any assistance you can provide would be great! 

Thanks,

On the DIO32 there are 16 standard servo "plug and go" connections. Another 16 servos can be connected to the DIO32 with additional hardware, for a total of 32 servo control ports. Keep in mind, power for the servos must be from an external power supply, you cannot use the on-board DIO32 power supply.

I have both the ServoDog and the DIO32; I love the DIO 32 for its expandability. The ServoDog is limited to 8 servo ports, (6 if you use the PMW LED option) and 6 input ports. The DIO can be configured for any combination (in banks of 8) of digital inputs, digital outputs and servo outputs. Both the DIO32 and the ServoDog can "direct" or control other LOR controllers connected to it.

On the DIO32 there are 16 standard servo "plug and go" connections. Another 16 servos can be connected to the DIO32 with additional hardware, for a total of 32 servo control ports. Keep in mind, power for the servos must be from an external power supply, you cannot use the on-board DIO32 power supply.

I have both the ServoDog and the DIO32; I love the DIO 32 for its expandability. The ServoDog is limited to 8 servo ports, (6 if you use the PMW LED option) and 6 input ports. The DIO can be configured for any combination (in banks of 8) of digital inputs, digital outputs and servo outputs. Both the DIO32 and the ServoDog can "direct" or control other LOR controllers connected to it.

Ok thanks for the explanation. So to go beyond the 16 on board I would need to add the 16 channel daughter board?

Thanks,

Mike

The addition and use of the DIO16IOD daughter board to the DIO32 “kind of” simplifies the connection of servos. By “kind of”, I mean you have screw terminals to connect the servos control wire to, but the three pin connector on the servo would have to be removed. The servo power wires would connect to your power supply. There is no place on the DIO16IOD to connect the servo power wires. 

If there is enough interest in 16+ servo control with LOR hardware, Light O rama "may" (hint hint) create a 16 servo daughter board for the DIO32.