Light-O-Rama Forums

Have you heard from Ray Wu lately?

plasmadrive

Anyone heard from Ray lately?  I have sent him emails asking questions about my order (after sending him a lot of money) and he isn't responding.  (Ok.. it's only been a week) I guess I am getting anxious.. he usually answers quicker then this.

Anyone??

Craig

Edited by plasmadrive

I sent him a request for a quote on Mon. and I still haven't heard back from him either.  Which is unusual since I get a response from him within a day, even on weekends.

they may be under another month long holiday :)  seems like all the time on ebay sellers from China or hong Kong are celebrating something

I looked at the Chinese holiday calendar and only May 1st is a holiday.. I guess I will wait till next week to see if he was just out for some reason.

Ray answers his chat after 8cst. He always answers every time I hit him up. I have him on his chat now at this time. It does however take about 2 weeks to get your merchandise if you live in the states. Unless you do a custom order i.e (spacing)

Yesterday I finally heard back from Ray about 1pm PST.   He was making some special supplies for me and I had sent some special instructions.. unfortunately they made them before he got my email.

I talk to him often... nothing weird going on with him.  I buy a ton of lights from him.  Great guy!

I talk to him often... nothing weird going on with him.  I buy a ton of lights from him.  Great guy!

Do you have link so I can see what he has?

Here is what Ray says is happening.. They have change the flex strip from WS2811 to WS2812-B.  For those that don't know, the WS2812 is the WS2811 chip in the LED package. This saves on parts count and real estate on the PCBs.

Looking at the spec sheet for the 2812-B they say it is better.. more or less..  Seems they now have reverse bias protection.  I am assuming many people have connected them backwards causing an issue that needed to be corrected..

He said the change has caused delays in many shipments, not just mine.  As for him being MIA.. he never did say why.. we just moved on..

Here is what Ray says is happening.. They have change the flex strip from WS2811 to WS2812-B.  For those that don't know, the WS2812 is the WS2811 chip in the LED package. This saves on parts count and real estate on the PCBs.

Looking at the spec sheet for the 2812-B they say it is better.. more or less..  Seems they now have reverse bias protection.  I am assuming many people have connected them backwards causing an issue that needed to be corrected..

He said the change has caused delays in many shipments, not just mine.  As for him being MIA.. he never did say why.. we just moved on..

does he really charge $32.63 to ship one strip?

Yes he does if you order just one. Have you looked at the price of shipping these days?

I usually have him consolidate much bigger orders so shipping is far less overall

Yes he does if you order just one. Have you looked at the price of shipping these days?

I usually have him consolidate much bigger orders so shipping is far less overall

makes sense.. i thought he might give LOR members a break

Thanks

Shipping cost plenty.. don't think he makes money on shipping.. hard to give anyone a break when it costs you that much...   He may have a charge in there for packaging, but he has to have boxes, packing materials, and do invoicing for customs..  

Not sure why you would think LOR members should get a break... we as a group really haven't done that much to earn one.  Lots of small orders.. far fewer large ones. 

Shipping cost plenty.. don't think he makes money on shipping.. hard to give anyone a break when it costs you that much...   He may have a charge in there for packaging, but he has to have boxes, packing materials, and do invoicing for customs..  

Not sure why you would think LOR members should get a break... we as a group really haven't done that much to earn one.  Lots of small orders.. far fewer large ones. 

easy partner.... sorry for mentioning anything about him or the shipping.

easy partner.... sorry for mentioning anything about him or the shipping.

Don't be sorry at all..  I was just pointing out what I though was the obvious.. nothing more..   Your point was a good one..

We as a group haven't got together to do buys from Ray perhaps because he is pretty low cost even on small orders.  Shipping costs have always been one of my hot buttons.. but it is the shipping companies and not the shipper that makes them high.   I wish we had a way around the high cost.. but I haven't been able to find one.. 

Rays sister got in a serious accident a few weeks ago, and has been trying to look after her and run the business.

One thing I found out about large orders, anything over $1000 will possibly get held up in Customs. Just something to keep in mind.

Don't be sorry at all..  I was just pointing out what I though was the obvious.. nothing more..   Your point was a good one..

We as a group haven't got together to do buys from Ray perhaps because he is pretty low cost even on small orders.  Shipping costs have always been one of my hot buttons.. but it is the shipping companies and not the shipper that makes them high.   I wish we had a way around the high cost.. but I haven't been able to find one.. 

Start your own shipping company perhaps?   Just a thought. ;)