Light-O-Rama Forums

New Toys

Bustluvr

At the top of the page on EDM Site. Look under the Logo and choose the link you want. It's hard to see, as it blends in well.

another related question... is there some sort of adapter that you plug the transmitter into your PC via USB. i see the red & white coax connection spots on the back of the transmitters. just wondering how you connect it to your PC?

Thanks for your help everyone

I went with this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FO4UHW/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also keep in mind that on your pc have your volume set to 25% and set the transmitter to 75%.  That should get you the cleanest clearest signal (mine is set on high but if you are in a densely populated area you might want to set it to low).

There was a long discussion on FM transmitters some time ago, I'll have to see if I can find it. In summary, I went with one that's on Ebay. It was about $45 shipped and worked great last year. I had clear reception for about a city block or so in all directions from my house.

Bustluvr,

Really, the best thing to do is dive in. That's what I did last year. Start playing with the sequencer. Create some effects. Do you like them? I'm still a newbie myself, but am learning quickly. I'm on my 3rd song now, and it's going MUCH smoother than my first one did. Oh, and be prepared for all the little things you didn't prepare for...buying more cord, little odds and ends hardware. I can't count the number of trips I made to Wal-Mart and Home Depot as I was setting up last November.

THANK YOU everyone for all the great info. now i am even more excited to get started.

go to monoprice on cat5 cables, they are almost pennies a piece!  I bought a case last year of 4ea of 5 different lengths and didn't spend of $50, even went color coded cables so I don't have to try and figure out the length.

It's less expensive to buy a 50-foot cat5 cable and a single 50-foot extension cord, than to keep the controller in the house and buy 16 50-foot extension cords.

When I download sequences from other web sights  , can I only use LOR sequenses???

When I download sequences from other web sights  , can I only use LOR sequences???

not sure what web sites you are talking about but if they have an .LMS extension then yes.  depending on the source they may be different versions of the software but looks like you are at 3.9.0 so I see no issues there.  in order to not get overwhelmed think of five songs you want to do and then find a sequence or two from someone that closely matches your props.  Might help move things along.  My first year I got 5 free with my 32 channels from WoWLights and had my show setup per their setup with a few modifications.  Now I have probably close 50 songs for Christmas and almost as many for Halloween and my setup looks nothing like the WoWLights setup.

I got a question... correct me if I am wrong... ok... for me... I got into this addiction because I didn't like listening to the same music and watching the same flashing lights with my Mr. Christmas.  I wanted to use MY favorite songs and create it myself.  Isn't the fun of it creating your sequences?  I mean...if you download sequences or buy them... you have to modify them anyway to fit your needs right?? wouldn't it be easier to just create them??

Now don't get me wrong...I have received shared sequences... but not to like actually use.... if I have an idea in my head sometimes I need to see what it looks like in the editor... then I go from there... but isn't creating them yourself the fun of it??

thats just my opinion...

I got a question... correct me if I am wrong... ok... for me... I got into this addiction because I didn't like listening to the same music and watching the same flashing lights with my Mr. Christmas.  I wanted to use MY favorite songs and create it myself.  Isn't the fun of it creating your sequences?  I mean...if you download sequences or buy them... you have to modify them anyway to fit your needs right?? wouldn't it be easier to just create them??

Now don't get me wrong...I have received shared sequences... but not to like actually use.... if I have an idea in my head sometimes I need to see what it looks like in the editor... then I go from there... but isn't creating them yourself the fun of it??

thats just my opinion...

there is some joy to that but to use me as an example, I think I do pretty good with most props but haven't mastered singing faces.  I will frequently buy or borrow some that have excellent face work and then sequences my other props around that.  Most of my joy comes from finding/creating props and then lighting them up.

Going the WoWLights route enabled me to get up and going faster than I would have on my own.  My display from three years ago and mine today are vastly different than what WoWLights proposed and I used.  It help me get to my comfort zone a little quicker.

Edited by caniac

well see, I guess I'm lucky... I think of it.... make David figure out how to make the props...LOL.  Then I light it up... He's my stage Manager...

thats just my opinion...

I agree with this statement. To semi quote Brian Bruderer, Instant sequence to created sequence is like a microwave dinner to a home cooked meal. I don't remember the exact wording.

My point is, although you can buy or get free sequences, you still have to adapt them to your layout, but, it's a great way to learn the software. When I started a couple of years ago, I bought 5 from LOR. I studied the sequences and learned how to manipulate the software and create my own. I did the same for Superstar.

Another thing is, for example, There was a song I wanted to do but was at a complete loss as to where to start. Another member, Joe Polenchar, sent me this one: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26551-dream-of-fire-flies-tso/?p=252150 and from that I created this: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26551-dream-of-fire-flies-tso/?p=252154 for my mega tree.

I ended up with a totally different sequence from his but only copied and pasted. I changed nothing except for editing the song down a bit to be shorter in length.

There advantages to using free sequences. The main one, is it helps with the learning curve.

I went with this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FO4UHW/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also keep in mind that on your pc have your volume set to 25% and set the transmitter to 75%.  That should get you the cleanest clearest signal (mine is set on high but if you are in a densely populated area you might want to set it to low).

This is the one i purchased also.  I love it.

steve

Assembling the controllers? Nah. Play with the software and figure out your layout. Then take the measurements for all the extension cords your going to need to make. Extension cords and vampire plugs, oh my.

Just wait till you start listening to a song and begin sequencing it in your head.

Best of luck!