Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Devices with motorized lights, colors and other features using LOR

Mr Sir

Question? There are several devices out there  that are typically for the DJ venue such as a 7 sddress DMX unit by Chauvlet. Whereas  each address uses different effects with intensity values from 0-255. This lighting unit creates Static colors, Motor speed, Rotation direction and programed Mode responses as well. What form of DMX  interface works with this kind of thing on the LOR software?

All I have seen so far is RGB LED units's (color ribbons) and such using Dongles. Are channels only programmed as RGB using the Sequence editor the only form of display's in DMX.

Hoping for a boost in my holiday light show with lights in motion.

Can anyone help woth this...

Once you get LOR to output DMX it doesn't matter what you output to. I have some American DJ stuff that does motion control. Just make sure that the DMX output values that the machine needs are in the right range (0 to 256) relative to the LOR range (0-to 100).

Basically assign a LOR channel for each DMX channel. Beginning DMX addresses can be set on the machine and a corresponding set of LOR channels set in S3. Typically 3 channels are used for RGB colors (mix values for whatever color you want), a couple of channels for strobe (one for rate, one for duration), and the rest for other effects (rotate, tilt, etc.). There are even machines that use one DMX channel for different effects (0 to 50 rotates right, 50 to 100 rotates left, 100 to 150 tilts up, etc.) again just scale the LOR channel to duplicate the DMX value needed.

Hope this helps, Preston

There's an abundance of great looking lights that would enhance you display, except that they are probably not weather resistant.

Some people put them up and take them down every night, depending on the weather.

Weatherproofing them with inflatable bubbles can get expensive and quickly exceed the cost of the original fixtures.

Well, this may be an over complicated way to control them, but its what I'm using. First off I use a dmx-midi converter that receives dmx signal from a enttec dmxpro (signal from LOR) and runs the midi to Madrix(for my LED displays) and then the same setup for light factory(for the intelligent lights). I then output a dmx channel that corresponds to a Midi note that triggers a scene or bin witch stays in synch with the music using a midi clock(1 block on for every beat 1,2,3, and 4) from LOR. The DMX output comes from another enttec dmxpro to my intelligent fixtures (2 so far more hopefully). I will link the programs, dmxpro, and dmx-midi converter bellow. I hope this helps

-John

http://www.lightfactory.net/?mPath=1

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70304

http://response-box.com/gear/decabox-dmx-to-midi/

I am planning on bringing in the Disco and stage lighting for Christmas display this year. I have ordered 3 CRYSTAL Ball Effect lights that are LED and motion. DMX will control those. I have also joined a board called DIYLIGHTANIMATION.COM

They do handle the DMX stuff and alot of the Smart strings that are not dealt with in heavy details here. I am building my own Winterization for the lights with some containers @ the container store and a sheet of clear plexiglass. Anything that requires more than that would require a Sheet of plywood (or Home Depot has attractive inexpensive siding boards for 10.00EA and they are HUGE.) and some 2X4's with Caulking and a final coat of Latex Exterior paint. On that note, a lot of the stage fixtures in my Yard will be year round. Also, I found the Dumb RGB Lights on Amazon for about 25.00 a set (Prime Member- Free shipping) and plan to use DMX to control those also. I will be building these sets into Wash lights as well as they are less expensive (a standard Stage Wash LED is around 130.00 to 249.00 EA.) and I can build them for about a small fraction of the cost of buying the ready mades... One still has to purchase a power supply and DMX cables or run Power over ethernet w/ DMX over ethernet to reduce power drains. I did find out from the electrician that my whole display (all LED) pulls less than 1 amp on the breaker. Picture enclosed. :)

post-9913-0-57002500-1367299031_thumb.jp

Mr Sir, there is a lot of information out there about driving DMX and RGB elements. This does open a whole new dimension to your display and how far you take it, is up to your personal taste.

DMX is not complicated. LOR supports the output with S3 Advanced. There is a ton of information on this site, but a great reference for you to get familar with is the ACL Lighting 101 Manual:

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=1889.0

Anyone that is considering RGB should keep this document very handy.

Keep asking questions. Good luck

I am planning on bringing in the Disco and stage lighting for Christmas display this year. I have ordered 3 CRYSTAL Ball Effect lights that are LED and motion. DMX will control those. I have also joined a board called DIYLIGHTANIMATION.COM

They do handle the DMX stuff and alot of the Smart strings that are not dealt with in heavy details here. I am building my own Winterization for the lights with some containers @ the container store and a sheet of clear plexiglass. Anything that requires more than that would require a Sheet of plywood (or Home Depot has attractive inexpensive siding boards for 10.00EA and they are HUGE.) and some 2X4's with Caulking and a final coat of Latex Exterior paint. On that note, a lot of the stage fixtures in my Yard will be year round. Also, I found the Dumb RGB Lights on Amazon for about 25.00 a set (Prime Member- Free shipping) and plan to use DMX to control those also. I will be building these sets into Wash lights as well as they are less expensive (a standard Stage Wash LED is around 130.00 to 249.00 EA.) and I can build them for about a small fraction of the cost of buying the ready mades... One still has to purchase a power supply and DMX cables or run Power over ethernet w/ DMX over ethernet to reduce power drains. I did find out from the electrician that my whole display (all LED) pulls less than 1 amp on the breaker. Picture enclosed. :)

As you're building the enclosures, I'd suggest you incorporate some kind of fan to recirculate the internal air to avoid any overnight condensation.

As you're building the enclosures, I'd suggest you incorporate some kind of fan to recirculate the internal air to avoid any overnight condensation.

Since they are all LEDS, the heat should not be a problem. I will be building very small air vents in the bottom. Here is the crystal ball I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281009677802?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

They were 25.00 each on Ebay and will do a wonderful Star display on the front of the house. Did testing last weekend and about 6 neighbors came by and commented.

Since they are all LEDS, the heat should not be a problem. I will be building very small air vents in the bottom. Here is the crystal ball I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281009677802?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

They were 25.00 each on Ebay and will do a wonderful Star display on the front of the house. Did testing last weekend and about 6 neighbors came by and commented.

I would be interested in your results. My experience with the balls like these, are that they need one of 2 things to be sufficiently visible, a back drop or fog. I have one that I used for my DMX presentation I did for Expo in 2011, and it never got serious consideration outside in my display. So I use it now mostly in auto mode for fun in my home office.

It's not an issue of heat, but of condensation inside your enclosure.

I would be interested in your results. My experience with the balls like these, are that they need one of 2 things to be sufficiently visible, a back drop or fog. I have one that I used for my DMX presentation I did for Expo in 2011, and it never got serious consideration outside in my display. So I use it now mostly in auto mode for fun in my home office.

I will be using these 3 crystal balls mounted right on the deck railing facing the house so that all of the crystals are on the side of the house. Pic enclosed of my place during the day without the display running.

Will be using DMX to control color, movement, and strobe effects that these have. Took them outside last weekend to test and the effect is really cool. :)

post-9913-0-46623900-1367336505_thumb.jp

• The topic was locked