Light-O-Rama Forums

DC Controller & Heatsinks

bob_moody

I have several of the low power heatsinks from LOR AC controller boards that I built.

I have a DC controller and as it turns out the hole spacing on the heatsinks matches up to the triacs.

Question is (it may be a dumb one but I would rather ask and have ya'll think I am dumb than install the heatsinks, blow up the board and prove that I am... ) is it okay to install the low power heatsinks on the DC board ?

Thanks for the help ..

Bob

(My train of thought has derailed.. )

Edited by bob_moody

Be careful. The current 'QC' boards have live tabs on the output mosfets and must be fully insulated from the heatsinks if you go ahead. The original boards with screw connectors have different output components.

My experience has been that heatsinks are not required unless you are loading the channels very heavily. (If I recall correctly, the channel current limit for QC boards is ~4 Amps which is adequate for most setups.

I knew there was a good reason to ask that question!

What I have is the CMB16D-QC V1.

This is the one with the spade lug terminals (like the AC boards)

I had no particular reasoning in adding the heat sinks other than I had them and I was bored.

So I should NOT, add the heatsinks (?)

Thanks for the heads up Geoff.

Nob

The Mosfets can handle 4 amps without heat sinks pretty well, but if you simply can't control yourself, use the AC heat sinks with not only an insulating piece between them, but a non-metallic screw and nut so there won't be any chance of letting the Magic Smoke out. Or point a fan at them.

Ken and Geoff,

Thank you for the feedback. As I mentioned, I don't need the heat sinks and I am VERY glad I asked first.

I bought the board a couple of years ago and never put it into service. Not sure what (if anything) I'm going to do with it. Just glad I didn't let all the smoke out.

Bob

• The topic was locked