Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB-16D DC Board Heatsink

Steppe Wolfe

It will depend on the load placed on the card. We will be be stocking small heatsinks for those that need them. If you want to run tham at full capacity then you will need to add more sink to them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's a secret! I'll show you if it works. But it will be pushing the upper power limits. Probably around 5 Amps per channel. I realize that doesn't allow me to turn on all 16 at once.

Then you need heat sinks. Currently they aren't available in the store, but you could probably fabricate them yourself.

Ponddude wrote:

Then you need heat sinks. Currently they aren't available in the store, but you could probably fabricate them yourself.

He is correct, even if you have one of the newer boards that can handle 4 amps/channel w/o heat sinks. We switched to metal tab transistors because this upped the current from 1.5 to 4 amps/channel w/o heat sinks. This works for the overwhelming majority of users so we do not produce heat sinks.

Be aware that the metal tabs on the new transistors are electrically hot and you must use insulating kits when you attach the transistors to a heat sink.

Because of the way MOSFETs work and the way board is designed, you can gang two or more channels and make sure that you always give the same commands to the ganged channels when running your sequences. If you give different commands to two (or more) ganged channels, you will cause excessive current flow through some MOSFETs because the load will not be evenly spread. If you have more channels than you need, this is probably your best solution.