Light-O-Rama Forums

Stupid question on DMX

David Spangler

While reading through the forums I got a little confused. My understanding, and I'm new to DMX, is if you are using LOR and DMX from your computer you run your LOR controller as usual and you add a dongle, whether it be a Enttec, Actidongle, or other, with S3 advanced, which is what I'm doing and it works great. In some threads I think I've read guys using LORs RS485 adapter to run dmx. Is this correct? Is this raw DMX, 1.31, which I haven't even got into yet? Really don't want to waste anybody's time, just a short answer would be great.

Thank you.

You can use the LOR dongle for DMX its one the cheaper and easier ways to add DMX.  Depending on how many channels of DMX or what your trying to accomplish will determine if you should also jump into the 1.31 fields.  I

As for license Advanced is really the only way to go.  Not only for DMX and 1.31 but in general with tracks as well the ability to utilize everything in LOR.

Let us know what you want to accomplish and we can try to direct you in the best way possible.

Williams

Thank you, that answered my question. I'm good with what I have for now. I didn't know you could use the LOR  dongle for DMX. I'm using two LOR controllers with the the Actidongle with good results.

are you running the controllers in DMX?  You lose a few features on the LOR controllers by not running them native through LOR.  Yes you can use the LOR dongle as a DMX output.

Running the LOR controllers in DMX mode will increase your network traffic and might slow down some fast-acting sequences, FYI.

Probably best to use the LOR controllers as they were designed; on an LOR network.

Also, running the LOR USB485 as a DMX dongle is not a good idea, since the addresses will be off by +1 and causes confusion.

This has been covered in previous forums with great detail already.

Best to stick with the HolidayCoro dongleEnttecPro (not the Open model), the DMXKing or the Holiday Technologies one.

The E1.31 type of network is used for lots of pixels and usually comes from your Ethernet jack on your computer.

Then it goes to several E1.31 controllers along the line, eventually controlling your lights.

These are short answers; there's much longer ones in this forum, if you want to search them out.

Edited by Ken Benedict
  • Like 1

WilliamS:

I'm using the LOR controller as just plain LOR network with led lights and the actidongle I have set up with dumb rgbs as a universe, works good.

Thank you

Ken:

The short answers was all I was looking for. I will continue reading now I understand it better. I thought I misread something.

Thank you

Ok that makes more sense.  Then you got it right and getting the best of both worlds.

William -

I've written a number of in-depth article on RS-485, DMX and the LOR protocols.  There is no "best' protocol - it depends on your requirements as each was designed for two entirely different environments.  Here is a very in-depth article on the differences:

https://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?ID=21

Here is a recent blog post I made about the differences between what is RS485 and what are the DMX (or LOR) protocols:

http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2013/03/dmx-lor-protocols-and-rs-485.html

Here is a blog post that talks about using LOR controllers in a mixed environment and what your options are:

http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2013/03/can-light-o-rama-lor-controllers-be.html

Understanding the LOR and DMX protocols and their relationship to RS485 is VERY helpful in understanding the wiring of those network and how to troubleshoot.

David

Here is a blog post that talks about using LOR controllers in a mixed environment and what your options are:

I have a question about your answer to the question about DMX fixtures that only have an input and no output connector. Do those fixtures typically have a DMX terminator inside?

• The topic was locked