Light-O-Rama Forums

dmx star

john fulkerson

I have a dmx star it has 3 separate sections  3 channels for each section making a total of 9 channels  I can test it with xlights but when I put it in lor as universe 1 with all the channels correct it doesn't work just cycles through its built in sequence what am I doing wrong  its connected to a usb dmx dongle like I said it works when testing in xlights but not working in lor?

it comes up as comm 8 any time I plug or unplug it so I have that set in lor  the control panel listener sees it and opens the port but still doesn't work

sorry not real good yet with dmx still learning

Since I'm the first one responding, Ill take a stab at it. 

In the Sequence Editor, click on Edit> Preferences> Network Preferences. Is your DMX universe setup there?

Depending on your USB dongle, it can be defined several different ways.

For Enttec DMX Pro, define as a Enttec Pro, most everything else is Raw DMX.

What type of dongle do you have?

I have a dongle from holiday coro

in the network setup I have my dmx universe 1 set to the dongle im using which is a raw dmx

Are you testing it using the Sequence Editor or the Hardware Utility?

The Hardware Utility does not yet test any DMX unit but only it's own LOR iDMX1000.

If in the Sequence Editor, do you have Control Lights clicked on? (It's in Play>Control Lights).

And have the LOR Control Panel running at the same time?

There should be an orange or green box in the lower right corner.

I assume you're using the Advanced version of S3 which is the only version that controls DMX.

If you're using the Holidaycoro's dongle, it should be defined as an EnttecPro unit; as described in the video:

Try that and report back.

Edited by Ken Benedict

yes I am using sequence editor because all the other light are working except the ones on dmx

I guess I have to check my network cables to see if they are ok ive had trouble with them before

on the lor network

thinking about just splicing all cables so there is no couplers they are not waterproof and cause a lot of trouble

If the RGB lights work under Xlights, then it's probably a software configuration issue.

Watch David's video above and see if your Network configuration matches his.

Then check your channel definitions to see if they are using DMX Universe 1.

In the Sequence Editor, is the box at the lower right corner colored red, orange or green?

when the lor light bulb is red it is blue when i play it  when i enable shows and the light bulb is blue  it is red when i play the sequence

by the way what does the different colors mean in the block i believe i missed out on info on it lol

I was just trying to look up the color definitions myself, but I know that red means that it will not control your lights.

Mine runs as an orange color. I don't know what blue means.

The Control Panel software needs to be running in the background so that the Sequence Editor can control your DMX unit.

Do you start the Control Panel before you try to run your sequences?

By the way, your DMX dongle definition should be listed as an EnttecPro unit, not Raw DMX.

And you have the Advanced License version?

Edited by Ken Benedict

I'm pretty new, but I may be of a little help here.  I recently purchased the same dongle for testing purposes, and it appears to LOR as an ENTTEC clone.  I set it up as ENTTEC rather than RAW DMX and it worked like a charm.   If you're seeing it reflected in the listener when connected, and all the address settings are right, then it should work.  For what it's worth, your symptoms point to a disconnect in your control signal between your computer and the controller card, so you've already narrowed it down to about 1/2 your circuit. 

I noticed one other peculiar thing in my testing.   If I tried to CONTROL LIGHTS in my sequence editor and tried to run my test, it kept deselecting CONTROL LIGHTS when I hit play giving me zero joy, right up until I also ran my LOR controller simultaneously.  Once I ran both, I had that Griswold moment when he finally applied power to his creation.  It appears that there may be a safety or economy programming line in the Sequence Editor script.

Are you using a DUMB RGB version of the lights and what are you using for a controller after the dongle?

Good Luck.

yes they are dumb rgb and and the controller is a holiday coro 3 channel controller                                  ill try to retest it with entec  instead of raw dmx and see what happens thanks for info guys

the controller can either control rgb dumb light or a 150 rgb strip

the same controller u see in kens vid up there is the same one I have with the same type lights

the same controller u see in kens vid up there is the same one I have with the same type lights

John -

I've created a ticket for you and we would like to work with you to get a solution to your issue.

Thanks,

David

a ticket on what  did I miss something?  are you from holiday coro   ok this is what I have a dmx dongle from holiday coro the 3 section star with dumb rgb lights I have it in a usb port shows up as port 8 not conflickting with any other port ive had it plugged in the whole Christmas season and all it will do is the dmx controller will run through its built in sequence ive tried everything I know of  it will work if I unplug all my lor dongles and just use xlights for testing    but when I start lor and start the control panel it says listening to the port 8837  listener connection accepted (392)      listener accepted (480)    710  dmx1 ahoorzjf raw dmx adapter opened , ok,  then I start a sequence everything is set right  my 3 dmx controllers are channel 1 2 3   5 6 7   10 11 12 it plays but the lights on the star just keep going through the built in sequence   they do shut off for a split second when I start the control panel but as far as I know they are suppose to stay off meaning they are getting a signal  until I start the sequence but with control panel running when I open lor they just go to the built in sequence    sorry I took so long to explain this LOL