Light-O-Rama Forums

Frustrated!

thevikester

Trying to add RGB channels all day long, insert a device, and then convert the DMX channels into RGB.  It just hangs up and won't convert them. The handful that have gone thru take 15-20 minutes to create 3 strings.  I even went as far as to uninstall and reinstall with no success. 7 hours and 24 strings later, I'm halfways there to 48, and about halfways to looking at new software.  I have plenty of gigs and space, I5 processor. Nothing else running on my system. 

Bob's tool is the only way to go and speed this process up. I have been there and done that.. Yes Andy does have a video of it.

Jeff

I'm Andy. :)

Here is that video Doug was referring to. Ignore the crashing, Ive since fixed that issue. Hope it helps you out.

• Like 1

Sorry Vikester,

Thought everybody knew Andy and all the help he has provided.

Jeff

I didn't know Harrison's first name, I have garnered much knowledge from his posts in the past...again, thank you both!

I'm Andy. :)

Here is that video Doug was referring to. Ignore the crashing, Ive since fixed that issue. Hope it helps you out.

So what did you do to correct the crashing issue?

I gave up trying to run LOR on anything other than the Asus republic of gamers i7 with 16gb of memory and a fresh install of windows 7 on an intel ssd. I also found a little patching application that will modify your 32-bit programs and allow them to address up to 4GB of RAM on a 64-bit OS.

Probably not what you wanted to hear :( but in short a beast of a pc and a little exe tweaking smoothed things out. I can still make it crash but its much harder to do so now.

I have never had LOR crash on any computer, but I'm not running anywhere near the channels you are.  The computer I did my sequencing on last year was a 8 year old Dell with a dual core P4 and 2Gig of RAM.  The show computer is a fairly low end HP with a P4 and 1 Gig of RAM.  However I ran less than 2,000 channels last year.  The sequencing computer is going to be replaced because the 8 year old computer died, but I'm not sure yet with what.

• 1 month later...

I gave up trying to run LOR on anything other than the Asus republic of gamers i7 with 16gb of memory and a fresh install of windows 7 on an intel ssd. I also found a little patching application that will modify your 32-bit programs and allow them to address up to 4GB of RAM on a 64-bit OS.

Probably not what you wanted to hear :( but in short a beast of a pc and a little exe tweaking smoothed things out. I can still make it crash but its much harder to do so now.

Mine crashes on me too, have 4,542 channels total and running on 11 universes, 10 full universes of E131 and 1 universe of dmx 512 running on a 4 year old acer laptop with win 7, 64 bit. For 2012, my show kept crashing (when people were even watching it) running the show strait out of LOR that I just ran the sequences in X-lights, and that worked fine. I don't know why it worked so much better in X-lights, dose anybody know??? 

Simply because of the file size. For example, One effect done in Nutcracker was:.las file 70.1 MB. The same effect, but the .xseq file was 1.78 MB.

The question is "Will LOR have a fix for the problem"?

I think we all know the answer!

Thomas

The question is "Will LOR have a fix for the problem"?

I think we all know the answer!

Thomas

Well, I myself hope they do, I'm really not fond of exporting my .lms files over to xLights, simply to keep my show PC from crashing. I don't have that many channels as of this year, but I'm just adding RGB from now on, be it Pixels or nodes. I am having the memory problem that a bunch of people experienced last year, having to reboot during sequencing. I had no problems last year but I was only running 1 universe and 4 CCP units. This year, it will be the 4 CCP units and almost 1600 pixels and nodes, 8 full Universes and 2 partials. I sequence everything in Superstar, then copy and paste to LOR SS. Just my channel config when starting a new sequence takes about 10-15 seconds to load. That's with an I7 and 6GB of RAM, and, no effects.

I know from a recent post from LightoramaDan, that they are working on some stuff, and if I remember correctly, it is aiming at Pixels. Kind of quiet though since. I don't read every post, but I read a lot. Hopefully some news will be coming soon.

If LOR becomes 64 bit it will correct many of those issues.   Another issue in Nutcracker is the file size, in LOR it takes quite a bit to open a 70 meg or larger clipboard file.  It really doesn't like to multi paste them either.   Regardless as LOR is a 1 core kinda guy it will always be plagued with its inability to use the power given to it.  It is easy to use, stable compared to others but still it needs a refresh to get it up to speed.

Don't give up Vike, things only get better with time.

Yea and time is running out for this year. I for one will not make a switch to late in the game. I am not running as many channels as others on here but I do need it to run without  an issue. Show is almost 5 hours away from me so I dont need issues. LOR has been great in the poast and support has been spot on. I dont see any reason that they will not make something happen soon.

Jeff

If LOR becomes 64 bit it will correct many of those issues.   Another issue in Nutcracker is the file size, in LOR it takes quite a bit to open a 70 meg or larger clipboard file.  It really doesn't like to multi paste them either.   Regardless as LOR is a 1 core kinda guy it will always be plagued with its inability to use the power given to it.  It is easy to use, stable compared to others but still it needs a refresh to get it up to speed.

Don't give up Vike, things only get better with time.

Clipboard files can be created in a compressed form for matrix programming.    When a pixel does not change color between frames, the event times can be consolidated into a single event.   This is really true at the channel level too.  Even if the pixel color is changing, when a R or G or B of the color is constant, the event times of that single channel can be consolidated which removes an event from the clipboard.    The number of gradient transitions is also important to consider.  For fixed intensity effects, LOR SE only supports 101 brightness levels of the 256 possible in each R G B of  a color.  Using fewer intermediate colors may not be noticeable in your effect and reduce the file size.