Light-O-Rama Forums

Analog or Digital?

derekb

This may be a dumb question, but I cannot seem to find the answer. Are CCR's analog or digital LED strips? Thanks!

Edited by derekb

Not a dumb question at all; they are digital.

A low voltage is sent to them either fully on or fully off.

Then a circuit (inside the silver controller box) that decides how long to leave it on and how long to leave it off; that gives you the intensity.

There's another circuit inside that knows which color of which LED needs whatever value you have programmed in your software; that gives you colors.

Some people call it "FM" (friggin' magic) and it works very well.

Edited by Ken Benedict

• 3 weeks later...

Even though these say analog, I was wondering if something like the link below might work for CCR's? I am looking for a simple, dummy proof (if there is such a thing) way to cut CCR's in half and re-connect. I am not too sure about my soldering skills and this looks like and easy way, but not sure if they would work.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1004

I ordered so,etching just like that from Ray. They are not waterproof and ARE very finicky. I am using them on my bar shelves indoors and when installing the dumb strips the connection was VERY positional.

For what it is worth, your mileage may vary.

Even though these say analog, I was wondering if something like the link below might work for CCR's? I am looking for a simple, dummy proof (if there is such a thing) way to cut CCR's in half and re-connect. I am not too sure about my soldering skills and this looks like and easy way, but not sure if they would work.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1004

It looks like a very propitary product and waterproofing them would worry me......If it were me and questionable soldering skills, I'd take my ccrs to a local electronics store and have them solder them and maybe save a lot of hassle in the long run 

It looks like a very propitary product and waterproofing them would worry me......If it were me and questionable soldering skills, I'd take my ccrs to a local electronics store and have them solder them and maybe save a lot of hassle in the long run 

I never thought about that. Good Idea.

I ordered so,etching just like that from Ray. They are not waterproof and ARE very finicky. I am using them on my bar shelves indoors and when installing the dumb strips the connection was VERY positional.

For what it is worth, your mileage may vary.

Well, it may not be the right solution. I am gonna keep looking. Thanks!

Those solderless connectors aren't reliable in cold weather. You might get them to work fine now, but come November they are going to give you grief! Soldering when it's cold out sucks! I've been there, done that.

Even though these say analog, I was wondering if something like the link below might work for CCR's?

"Analog" is the wrong word. I'm guessing they really mean: "Recommended for dumb strips." I have used clips like that, but only for windows under the eaves that didn't get any water.

The problem is that a CCR is in a silicon tube, so it will be open to the weather as soon as you cut it. Perhaps a large dose of caulk can solve that problem.

"Analog" is the wrong word. I'm guessing they really mean: "Recommended for dumb strips." I have used clips like that, but only for windows under the eaves that didn't get any water.

The problem is that a CCR is in a silicon tube, so it will be open to the weather as soon as you cut it. Perhaps a large dose of caulk can solve that problem.

Thanks for the info.

Analog isn't actually a bad choice of words.  "Dumb" is a term we kick around in the lighting world, but isn't an official term of any kind.  Basically strips are either digital or they're not.  Digital ones (like LOR's CCRs) have active chips every few LEDs so they can be controlled via a data line running down the strip.  non-digital ones just have separate '-' wires for red, green, and blue, and a common '+' for all.  These might as well be called 'analog'  because they're not digital, and the brightness depends on the (analog) voltage fed to them, not any kind of digital data protocol.

Analog isn't actually a bad choice of words.

Good point.  Although what adafruit is selling here is a clip-on cable that will work with both analog and digital strips.

• The topic was locked