Light-O-Rama Forums

going for CCR's this year

Mr Grunts

Ok Im in my second year this yr, and im loving every min of it. This yr i want to try doing some ccr ribbions, i figure about 4 for now. I know im going to be doing a lot of reading and watching the vids on how/tos but i would like to start ordering what i need now, problem, I dont know what all i need. I hope the wise members of the forum can help. Like i said this is my second yr and i started small, I only have one controller ( 16ch ) and my software is  3.7.0 basic but i did upgrade with the superstar sequence editor. from this point is where i need help. what else am i gona need ( buy ) to do 4, 5m ccr ribbions? This way i can order everything and wile its on its way i can be reading and sequencing,then when they arrive it will be like christmas to me. lol.  I Thank you for any advice anyone can give.

Ordering your CCRs all at the same time is a good idea.  The colors can vary slightly from one year to the next.

All you need extra is comm cables to daisy-chain the CCR controllers. 

Your license level needs to be enough to cover the number of controllers you have connected.  I recommend advanced.

When you get the CCRs handle the ribbons carefully and gently.  People who are bull-in-the-china-shop types of people should avoid the ribbons completely.

• Like 1

I think you might also need an RG485 adapter for your ribbons so you an put them on the High Speed network ( If your using gen2 controllers) and update you software to ver 3.9.......I'm planning on getting CCP's and I was under the asssumption that we also need these.........Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You already have a controller and adapter to run to the controller from last year so all you need is the CCR's and the license as George stated.   I reccomend just go for the advanced license as eventually you will want it for all that it can do for you in terms of the sequencer.    They are warrantied and come with the power supply.  All you need the cable to go from your 16 channel controller to the ccr, then daisy chain along.  

Also to double up on the best advice for the CCR, handle with care.  Its not a jump rope or extension cord.  It is a flexible circuit baord so it does need a certain amount of care.  They are also VERY VERY bright.  Think about that when sequencing because they can quickly steal the show and draw the focus from all your other hard work.  

4 CCRs' and 1 controller should be fine on 1 network.

<~~~I have 9 controllers and 4 CCRs on one system with no issues

Boy am I confused!!!!    are all your controllers gen3 vintage......cuz I thought you couldn't do gen2 controllers on the same donagle as the CCR's or CCP's new using high speed thats now available??  I have 10 gen2 and 4 gen3.

I have 8 gen 2 and 1 gen 3....

You can't do anymore than (6) CCRs max on the same network from most other posts. If you have more than (6) CCRs they should be on their own network

• Like 1

Boy am I confused!!!!    are all your controllers gen3 vintage......cuz I thought you couldn't do gen2 controllers on the same donagle as the CCR's or CCP's new using high speed thats now available??  I have 10 gen2 and 4 gen3.

You can put both Gen2 and Gen3 controllers on the same network, just don't expect to use the high speed option; the slowest controller will be the fastest you can go. If it's not fast enough, some of your devices may "stutter" when trying to get the data they need as quickly as you have programmed them.

It's a good idea to put your Gen3 controllers (which includes the new CCRs) on the same network and drive them with the newest LOR dongle.

This includes both the Commercial and Residential type of controllers, which should have the latest firmware in them for the best performance.

• 3 months later...

In this year's setup, I am adding a 12 CCR tree  - and already have 3 Gen 3 controllers. I did add a second network for the 12 CCR's - but should they acually be divided into two 6 CCR networks for performance ? That would be 3 USB ports off the computer each feeding a network. Maybe I should leave some of the CCR's on the first network...

My thought is that the 1st network (Gen 3 controllers) really is not that active (not a lot of commands sent) and could support the addition of some of the CCR's. I am guesing that placing 3 of the CCR's on network 1, then 9 CCR's on network 2 would be about a balanced load between the two networks and could save me having to add a third network.

I am planing to run the sandard Superstar sequences, plus build my own sequences for all some of last year's music as well.

Don't forget about enclosures for the CCRs power supply and controller. They aren't water proof and depending on how close together the CCRs will be determines if you would need one or 4 enclosures.

In this year's setup, I am adding a 12 CCR tree  - and already have 3 Gen 3 controllers. I did add a second network for the 12 CCR's - but should they acually be divided into two 6 CCR networks for performance ? That would be 3 USB ports off the computer each feeding a network. Maybe I should leave some of the CCR's on the first network...

My thought is that the 1st network (Gen 3 controllers) really is not that active (not a lot of commands sent) and could support the addition of some of the CCR's. I am guesing that placing 3 of the CCR's on network 1, then 9 CCR's on network 2 would be about a balanced load between the two networks and could save me having to add a third network.

I am planing to run the sandard Superstar sequences, plus build my own sequences for all some of last year's music as well.

Just pick up a USB Hub like one of these, and you'll only use 1 USB from the PC

Don't forget about enclosures for the CCRs power supply and controller. They aren't water proof and depending on how close together the CCRs will be determines if you would need one or 4 enclosures.

I haven't forgotten - and plan to use two x1500 enclosures to hold them. It is just a step I have not yet ordered parts for.  I have just gotten the 3/4" square alum tubing to bold the CCR's - and 17.5" lengths of tube are very impressive.

Does anyone have the link to the tutorial on pixels and RGB from someplace in Australia that is suppose to be the best place to start that whole madness?

Edited by dbltrukr1

Does anyone have the link to the tutorial on pixels and RGB from someplace in Australia that is suppose to be the best place to start that whole madness?

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?board=51.0

You have to be a member to view any attachments, but you just have to sign up if you haven't already.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?ID=15

here's another good place to go.

When I added my 4 CCRs to 14 controllers they would not run on one network.

I don't use macros and I use a LOT of fades so there is too much traffic for just one network.

I bought 4 more USB adapters and created 4 more networks.

Should be good for a while now.

Make sure you test early!

i have a 12 ccr mega tree and i use 3 networks with 4 ccr on each works better for me  i use regular  aux a  aux b

• 4 weeks later...

ok I see all this stuff on controllers and networks. I have nothing All I want to do it have a 12 ccr tree this year. So i need a list of erverthing i need to make the tree work

Controllers, FM transmitter. calbles software I need it all, Can anyone tell me how and what i need to do this

Thanks