Light-O-Rama Forums

Why only three likes a day?

shfr26

We do keep a tighter handle on things that was done in years past. The result has been remarkable when it comes to the number of complaints I personally received this last season. Rather than receiving 100s of complaints (which was common in previous years) I only received a dozen or so. The most common complaint has always been from people who felt that Light-O-Rama was too lax in the control of the forums and allowed inappropriate posts with no consequences. 

From what I have seen and heard from people, most appreciate the increased monitoring and are happier with it. There will always be those who disagree and that is to be expected. There is no such thing as a perfect set of rules nor perfect  monitoring. 

Dan

Less complaints hmm wonder if the fact that a lot of the veterans here have gone and left due to the fact of the heavy handed policing going on?? Maybe, could be, probably is!

And I have to agree with Pete here, that the comment from Mike was distasteful and I would consider it a jab, or using the same example he did in his 1st response without saying anything until it was called out.... 

Edited by LORAdmin
Profanity removed from post.

Less complaints hmm wonder if the fact that a lot of the veterans here have gone and left due to the fact of the heavy handed policing going on?? Maybe, could be, probably is! 

I dissagree:

Currently there are 33 users logged in excluding myself.  Of those 33:

25 have had an account longer than 3 years (76%)

15 have had an account longer than 5 years (45%)

8 have had an account since 2007, the first year we have records back to (24%).

Guest Don Gillespie

I dissagree:

Currently there are 33 users logged in excluding myself.  Of those 33:

25 have had an account longer than 3 years (76%)

15 have had an account longer than 5 years (45%)

8 have had an account since 2007, the first year we have records back to (24%).

So what is your point?

hahaha I got a warning for posting a wiki link posting a definition of an English word... pathetic..

So what is your point?

The OP posted that 'a lot' of veterans have left.  At that particular slice in time, 76% of the users logged in had more seniority than the OP.  Nearly 1/2 of the users logged in have been here 5 years or longer and 25% were here from year one (6+ years).  

If we consider the OP to be a veteran himself, 'A lot' would require that a greater percentage of users logged in would have LESS seniority than the OP.  In actuality, 3/4 had MORE seniority, and nearly 1/2 had more than DOUBLE the amount of seniority the OP had.  

Therefore, I disagree with  'a lot of veterans have left'.  I would be hard pressed to even call it 'A few'.  Maybe 'a couple' or 'several', but certainly not A LOT.

Guest Don Gillespie

The OP posted that 'a lot' of veterans have left.  At that particular slice in time, 76% of the users logged in had more seniority than the OP.  Nearly 1/2 of the users logged in have been here 5 years or longer and 25% were here from year one (6+ years).  

If we consider the OP to be a veteran himself, 'A lot' would require that a greater percentage of users logged in would have LESS seniority than the OP.  In actuality, 3/4 had MORE seniority, and nearly 1/2 had more than DOUBLE the amount of seniority the OP had.  

Therefore, I disagree with  'a lot of veterans have left'.  I would be hard pressed to even call it 'A few'.  Maybe 'a couple' or 'several', but certainly not A LOT.

good point, so on a side note not to hi jack this thread did you ever come up with a fix for the laptops that keep crashing or is that topic not allowed??

For 1, I am far from a vet I still consider myself very much a noob but I have seen the vets who have had some of most influence to others up a leave due to this type of BS your displaying here Mike. Yeah there might be some big numbers of others who have been here much longer, but how many of them on a continuous basis have been there to help others, beta test, offered assistance to others when lor could not? Out of those vets, Yes A LOT have left!

http://midlistlife.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/doublefacepalm1.jpg

and from a quote from the great old show "that 70's Show" from good ol Red Forman! http://memegenerator.net/instance/22024329

good point, so on a side note not to hi jack this thread did you ever come up with a fix for the laptops that keep crashing or is that topic not allowed??

I'll assume the best here, and take that as a genuine inquiry and not one of those back-handed comments I talked about earlier.

Of the 2 people who had the power cycle issue, the one who presented himself in a civil manor is working diligently with us.  If you are having the same issue, please open a trouble ticket so we can track it.

edit:  Sorry, I should have said:

If you are having any issues, please open a trouble ticket so we can track it.  I don't want to limit you to just power cycle problems.

I have been using LOR since 06 -but didn't join the forum until 08 - I don't know how someones time logged into the forum relates to seniority

on a side note: I still have a bitter taste left over from my issues in 2008. In which never were resolved until S3. I had to purchase extra equipment to make the show work, eventhough I was well within the stated abilities. - hence why i have decided to spend less time on the forum

I think the question was why can't we have more likes, three does not seem to be enough some days, there are an awful lot of good posts that I personally would like to hit the like button on, but I am limited to the amount that I can, and I think if you asked the general users on the forum I think you would be suprised that most of them would also like to hit the like button IMO

Don - you can have all of mine

Guest Don Gillespie

I'll assume the best here, and take that as a genuine inquiry and not one of those back-handed comments I talked about earlier.

Of the 2 people who had the power cycle issue, the one who presented himself in a civil manor is working diligently with us.  If you are having the same issue, please open a trouble ticket so we can track it.

edit:  Sorry, I should have said:

If you are having any issues, please open a trouble ticket so we can track it.  I don't want to limit you to just power cycle problems.

Sorry mike from all the reading I am doing over at DIY there seems to be way more people having this issue than 2, so maybe it is time to climb down off that high horse and really address the issue as to why it is happening, instead of playing name calling against guys you don't like, first off it shows a very unprofessional approach, some times it takes a bigger man to admit when he is wrong, if you can't solve the problem that is ok, just admit it and move on no need to bring up old laundry.

Of the 2 people who had the power cycle issue, the one who presented himself in a civil manor is working diligently with us. 

And the one who wasn't civil - that wouldn't happen to be the same person who spent months helping you de-bug the Visualizer would it?  Or doesn't that count for anything?

And while I'm speaking of the Visualizer, can't you please speak nicely to LOR Bob and ask him to teach you how to make shimmer and twinkle look like shimmer and twinkle?  I mean, if he was able to do it with the Animation, don't you think you should be able to do it with the Visualizer?

First of all, I am the OP and said nothing about "alot" of veterans have left.  Second, I have been a member since 2009, is that considered a veteren?? I guess it all depends on the knowledge of said person. Third, I do not consider "alot" to be a greater percentage.  If you lost 300 out of 1,000 dollars, is that "alot"?  Not a greater percentage but what I consider alot.  And lastly, "I would be hard pressed to even call it 'A few'.  Maybe 'a couple' or 'several', but certainly not A LOT.. , so several is less than a few in your mind?     I also see no relatationship between your math and what I stated.  I also still say that your statement,mostly in post ten to be belittling to me, so I would ask for you to apoligize or explain why you think that was needed??

Edited by shfr26

"As I previously stated, there will always be those who disagree and that is to be expected. There is no such thing as a perfect set of rules nor perfect  monitoring. The last post is from the OP who has voice his opinion". For now we will keep the number of likes to 3. Closing the thread for now as the original question was why only three and the answer is because it was being abused and 3 was considered a reasonable compromise. 

Sorry mike from all the reading I am doing over at DIY there seems to be way more people having this issue than 2, so maybe it is time to climb down off that high horse and really address the issue as to why it is happening, instead of playing name calling against guys you don't like, first off it shows a very unprofessional approach, some times it takes a bigger man to admit when he is wrong, if you can't solve the problem that is ok, just admit it and move on no need to bring up old laundry.

Don, I just noticed this which is outside the original topic and will reply with the latest info. If you know of people with the issue please have them contact me directly at dan@lightorama.com. Although we have not currently reproduced the issue here is were we are with this issue. First we do not believe it is wide spread but it certainly has happened! We have purchased a laptop that matches the hardware model and Windows OS version that matches that of a customer who has the issue. The customer has agreed to set the laptop up with his configuration/show and attempt to reproduce the issue on this laptop. We hope that with the same model PC, same windows OS that the customer will be able to reproduce the problem. 

Once they have hopefully reproduced the issue we will have the laptop shipped to us which will put us in a much better position to get to the bottom of this issue. 

Dan