Light-O-Rama Forums

Why only three likes a day?

shfr26

What is the reason behind only having three likes a day,or whatever the limit is, on the forums?

There may be days I like several more things and can't, can a "don't like" option be added?

I don't see a reason for the limit, if I like it. let me like it. And If I don't, let me not like it. Want do you you guys and ladies think? 

I don't know either. It sounds like it must be an anti-spam type of thing, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

At least increase the limit to 5 or 6.  Maybe they picked only 3 since they didn't think there was much to like around here, so 3 would be more than enough.  ;)

Appears Mike agrees with me. He appears to believe that likeable posts are "scarce". 

Exactly.  So when you give or get one, it has meaning.  Economics teaches us that doubling the number would actually reduce their worth by more than 50%.  

Exactly.  So when you give or get one, it has meaning.  Economics teaches us that doubling the number would actually reduce their worth by more than 50%.  

Sorry but the worth of the posts around here lately has very little to do with economics.

Sorry but the worth of the posts around here lately has very little to do with economics.

I respectfully disagree.  It is my opinion that nearly all posts made have worth.  It is only a select few that attempt to sow negativity, misinformation, or hostility.    

If you do find messages that add little worth, then please use the 'report' button which can be found on all posts.  I do have to admit that the most exasperating posts are those that on the surface propone to be 'helpful' or neutral, or 'just looking for opinions  when what they really are is a thinly veiled dig or jab.  I push the report button on those quickly.

If you do find messages that add little worth, then please use the 'report' button which can be found on all posts.  ...

Thanks for the helpful tip.  Guess I didn't realize that was what the "report" button was for. 

I respectfully disagree.  It is my opinion that nearly all posts made have worth.  It is only a select few that attempt to sow negativity, misinformation, or hostility.    

If you do find messages that add little worth, then please use the 'report' button which can be found on all posts.  I do have to admit that the most exasperating posts are those that on the surface propone to be 'helpful' or neutral, or 'just looking for opinions  when what they really are is a thinly veiled dig or jab.  I push the report button on those quickly.

Are you referring to this thread perhaps??

Guest Don Gillespie

IMO it appears that the forum wants to keep a tight handle on everything around here, so limiting our likes to 3 instead of 10 or 20 or what ever I like is their way of controlling the forum, economics plays no role on what I like and I like a lot of posts, but lately I could care less if I read this forum as the forum police seem to be able to do whatever they want, they can delete posts with no back lash from anyone, a lot of really good people have left here to move on to other things, where the forums actually have meaning and substance, the OP asked a simple question and again i see an LOR employee stirring the pot, I am truly starting to see a trend here, instead of belittling people Mike maybe you should be looking at why the laptops keep crashing when trying to run a show.

Maybe I should push the report button on Mikes post.  I did see it as kind of a jab at my thread.  But he is an employee and nothing will happen I'm sure.

Maybe I should push the report button on Mikes post.  I did see it as kind of a jab at my thread.  But he is an employee and nothing will happen I'm sure.

Pretty much same goes for the Mods at times too, even though they may or may not be employees. 

I'd say something about using the report post option button, but I'll let you folks figure that one out for yourself when, or if, you ever use it.

IMO it appears that the forum wants to keep a tight handle on everything around here, so limiting our likes to 3 instead of 10 or 20 or what ever I like is their way of controlling the forum, economics plays no role on what I like and I like a lot of posts, but lately I could care less if I read this forum as the forum police seem to be able to do whatever they want, they can delete posts with no back lash from anyone, a lot of really good people have left here to move on to other things, where the forums actually have meaning and substance, the OP asked a simple question and again i see an LOR employee stirring the pot, I am truly starting to see a trend here, instead of belittling people Mike maybe you should be looking at why the laptops keep crashing when trying to run a show.

We do keep a tighter handle on things that was done in years past. The result has been remarkable when it comes to the number of complaints I personally received this last season. Rather than receiving 100s of complaints (which was common in previous years) I only received a dozen or so. The most common complaint has always been from people who felt that Light-O-Rama was too lax in the control of the forums and allowed inappropriate posts with no consequences. 

From what I have seen and heard from people, most appreciate the increased monitoring and are happier with it. There will always be those who disagree and that is to be expected. There is no such thing as a perfect set of rules nor perfect  monitoring. 

Dan

Guest Don Gillespie

We do keep a tighter handle on things that was done in years past. The result has been remarkable when it comes to the number of complaints I personally received this last season. Rather than receiving 100s of complaints (which was common in previous years) I only received a dozen or so. The most common complaint has always been from people who felt that Light-O-Rama was too lax in the control of the forums and allowed inappropriate posts with no consequences. 

From what I have seen and heard from people, most appreciate the increased monitoring and are happier with it. There will always be those who disagree and that is to be expected. There is no such thing as a perfect set of rules nor perfect  monitoring. 

Dan

I think the question was why can't we have more likes, three does not seem to be enough some days, there are an awful lot of good posts that I personally would like to hit the like button on, but I am limited to the amount that I can, and I think if you asked the general users on the forum I think you would be suprised that most of them would also like to hit the like button IMO

I would like to know why there are no likes, on a thread about likes. I am not sure that I like this. 

Just my opinion, which I know doesn't account for anything around here, but will give it anyway about why there is not a "no like", "don't like" or "dislike" button/option.   

Many forums do not have this option and it is for good reason, although I know there are going to be a lot of disagreements on this, but it is because it does not add to a forums "friendliness" or to users of the forum.  Especially if there are those that constantly want to argue or belittle someones response or attempt to help someone.  

Using a dislike button or option would, again, my opinion, would be counter-productive to most forums and why a large majority of them don't have it available, and I can only surmise that is why LOR also does not provide a dislike button on their forum here.

And frankly, I wouldn't even use any type of like or dislike option on a forum, and haven't when I have ran and moderated some myself.   Everyone just agreed that those options would just create disharmony on the forums, so they were completely disabled.    But many do use the Like option, but it's very rarely that I see one that has a dislike option, they are very few and far between.

Edited by Orville