Light-O-Rama Forums

Who here are HAM Radio Licensed Operators?

Santas Helper

I'm currently taking a course for the test to be a licensed HAM radio operator.

I'm also currently taking courses for "Storm Spotter" member for the central OKC area which is one reason why I'm getting my license to operate a radio. Gotta get ready for the up coming tornado season.

I've been wanting to do this for years and finally getting around to it.

I was just curious of other members here that do this as a hobby or a profession. Maybe share a little of what you do and advice.

Thanks,

Tom

I am a skywarn spotter with the NWS. I send all my reports through the phone number that they gave me.

I wanted to get my Ham license a few years ago, but somehow I got side tracked and forgot about it until I found my study guide a few days ago when I was going through some boxes. Too bad I can't find extra lights this way. If I get extra time I might study and go for the test.

I am a skywarn spotter with the NWS. I send all my reports through the phone number that they gave me.

I too am with the Skywarn Spotter program with the NWS.

We are having the big Tornado convention here in OKC this weekend. I'm hoping to go and see some cool stuff. A walk-in small scale tornado demo would be cool.

Good luck!  I'm sure you'll pass the exam first time.  Though not a skywarn member, I've been a licensed Ham for almost 40 years.  I think my growing up loving electronics led me to this hobby also.  Take care.

Good luck!  I'm sure you'll pass the exam first time.  Though not a skywarn member, I've been a licensed Ham for almost 40 years.  I think my growing up loving electronics led me to this hobby also.  Take care.

Thanks fair28,

I'm surprised it took me this long. Been working with electronics for around 30+ years and have been a serious weather addict for almost as long. I guess things finally slowed down enough in my life to spend a little time to take on this challenge. And I've heard it is much easier now days getting spooled up and testing compared to 40 years ago, from what I heard anyway.

Plus being in the military for 26 years around aircraft maintance, I was around radios most of that time and didn't think anything of a home use radio until just recently.

Edited by Santas Helper

Another good site is  www.eham.net

under Resources, you can take practice test.

good luck  have fun

DE  KB4CLN 

DAN

Very cool.

Thank you Dan.

I will share my ID when I get it. And you too FarrOut.

VE7XDB, for about the last 20 years. I'm also an RF Tech for a national cellular carrier in Canada. I don't do much with it unless it's hunting season and then I have a 2 meter rig in the truck that will operate as a repeater for the group to use their HH radios while in the bush.

Haven't been active for a few years. Licenced since 1979 and hold the callsign of VK3UR. It is like a fruit salad as there are so many things you can choose from. Have fun.

Also have not been active in at least 10 yrs. KF0OX but the call sign is currently good. Maybe when I retire I will dust off the old radios and find out if any of the bands are still ours or have they been sold off. Wonder if we still have any band in the 440 Mhz? Did the C.B.ers run all of the hams off of the 10 mtrs?

As you might have guessed from my user ID, I'm a ham.  It's been about an hour since I was on the air.  And Max, that was on 440 so we must still have spectrum there.  And no, the CBers have not chased all the hams off 10M.

I've been a no code tech for many years although I rarely use it now. My friend who talked me into it moved away and I've been too busy lately. Some day I hope to get back into it.

KB2TUA

Hey Santa's Helper,

have you gone and taken the test yet? Or still studying?

Not yet MP. Still studying. I'm in a study group meeting every Tuesday night. Our date for the test is April 20th.

Santas Helper.  Good luck with your test.  I am a Volunteer Examiner and ran a test session last night.  We had 2 people take the technician test and both passed.  Always nice to be able to tell people that they passed whatever test it is that they took.

Santas Helper.  Good luck with your test.  I am a Volunteer Examiner and ran a test session last night.  We had 2 people take the technician test and both passed.  Always nice to be able to tell people that they passed whatever test it is that they took.

That's cool Jim.

yes, our class and the test will be given by a VE.

And thanks.

I have a little upper hand (I think) since I've been in the military around the flightline for 26 years using radios, working around electrical components for ground support equipment and now working on communication equipment (Xmitters, recievers, power supplies, etc...) for the FAA. So I have a vast knowledge of a lot of things, but when it comes to tests, sometimes I just crumble so I am studying to do my best. :)

I remember on the General test there were a lot of regulation questions, and know the power circle well. You'll do fine I'm sure. Good Luck.

I remember on the General test there were a lot of regulation questions, and know the power circle well. You'll do fine I'm sure. Good Luck.

Thank you!!!