Light-O-Rama Forums

New - lost and seeking help

Para

Hi all,

I have been reading these forums for some time now, I have also been looking at other fourms and websites that give helpful tips and tutorials and i have some pretty good ideas on what i would like to create.

My biggest problem is that i dont know where to start. Looking through the forums I have found other posts asking for help but i feel that it starts getting into the nitty gritty of the technical stuff and i get lost.

I would like to buy the hardware and software to start my own show as well as cosmic ribbon? .... but as ive already stated i have no idea what im doing.

I have seen the pre-packaged shows but I would like to design my own and not be restricted to the pre-programmed ones.

I was wondering if someone could help me "build" the required hard/software which will enable me to get started, to include all equipment and software I would need as well as the lights themselves. I realise everyone has their own personal preference.

I guess what im asking is for someone to suggest a basic build package that includes everything so once i get it i would be up and running. Im a quick learner once i get hands on and hopfully that will make me understand everything in more detail. The videos i have watched offers so many suggestions it's become a blur for someone with zero knowledge or experience.

Thank you in advance.

Start by downloading the demo version of LOR.  You can do most of the stuff with the exception of actually controlling lights.

How many lights do, how many channels is a matter of what you want and what you can afford. Go with a starter package of 16 or 32 channels and the advanced license.  CCR, I do not think I would start that way, but what do I know. :)   Welcome aboard.

I just got into this addiction (er, hobby) last year. I started with two pre-built LOR controllers and although they did work perfectly right out of the box, that was just the beginning. I then realized that between building my light display elements (mega tree, driveway arches, "Tune To" sign, etc), sequencing the songs, buying SPT-1 wire, setting my displays up, buying even more SPT-1 wire, and tweaking/fine tuning things, that was about all I could handle the first year. Now that I've been through my first rodeo, I'm dipping my toe into the world of RGB (currently playing with two flood lights) and hope to get one more LOR controller this year.

My advice to you is to get a controller or two now. Work out a design and build to it, even though you'll end up second guessing yourself a lot like I did. You also need to read, read, read......these forums are a great place to find information and get help.  I know the folks on here have helped me tremendously. 

In the end though, I think you'll find that you have a ton of fun and will learn a tremendous amount as you go.

Good luck and welcome to the madness!

First off where are you located?  There are many great minis held throughout the country that would expose you to the hobby and people with a great deal of knowledge. 

I would buy at least one controller and the software now and start playing with it.  Hook up lights and see what you can make happen.  Then start planning what kind of a display you want and remember what griswald said above, there is a lot of additional work the first year.  Then at the LOR summer sale you can buy any additional controllers etc. that you need. There will also be sales on lights during the year by various vendors.

To determine what kind and size of display you want I would look at the numerous videos posted on the LOR site. http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimeShowcase2011.html  .  These are grouped by channel count which will give you an idea of what can be done with a given number of channels.  You don’t necessarily need a lot of channels to have a really nice show.   

As far as CCRs – they are nice and I have a few but they are expensive.  If it were my first year I would rather spend the money on regular controllers and DC controllers to run some dumb RGB strips.

Oh – and remember to set a spending budget – then double it!  Good Luck.

Edited by Gary Blair

Thanks for the responses....

I’m currently located at FT Bragg, NC. After checking out a few of the

videos I realized small is a good start lol, so I think a good choice to start

with would be the PRO Series 16 Channel Starter Package and the advanced license

for the software … or am I still missing the mark?

Also I was wondering if you would be able to give me some feedback on some

rather stilly questions;

Can I use normal lights such as ones you can buy at a local

store like Wal-Mart?

Can you give me recommendations or suggestions on what would be a good choice

on lights?

Would it be better to get a pre-programmed sequence package

or one that I have to program the sequence myself? …. How does that work

exactly? =o/

Apart from the 16 Chan starter package and the obvious

lights, what else would I need to start? … any and all comments and suggestions

are greatly appreciated.

para,

i have to agree with the other posts.      slow down!!!!!!!   you can look at a million videos and think thats really cool and it can't really be that hard.   well it is!!!!   getting the lights to blink is just the start. 

get the demo.....find a small and easy sequence (free of course!!!!!) learn how the software and the blinky work together.

wait till the summer sale and then buy a controller (save some money and then use it for lights.  you will never ever ever have enough lights).

i don't want to scare you but when i say its alot of work i don't necessarily mean you can't do it.  it will take up alot of time.  the bigger you get the longer things take.  

whatever you do don't try to tackle rgb/dmx/ccr in your first year.  getting the lights to blink when you want will be enough. you don't need to start thinking about millions of colors and tricks right off the bat.

i've been doing this for 4 years (another company and 2 years with lor) and i'm just getting into rgb.   it's a different way of the thinking.  you would be better off to start with leds, a controller or maybe two, a prop or two, and then make plans for the next couple years.  you will want to grow and upgrade and you will stand out in front of your house and think of ten things you want to add.  we all do it.  just take 1 step at a time.

my setup has 48 channels but there are many items connected together to make it look like i have alot more channels than i do.  you can do alot with 16 or 32 channels and it shouldn't overwhelm you too much. 

i would suggest getting the starter package with lor with the usb485b (will be helpful in the future). get some lights and get an idea on what kind of set-up you want.  do you want to trim the roof, windows, hit the bushes, and a couple of mini trees in the front yard.  think about what you want to do first and then factor everything you will need to do that.   you'll need a computer, adapter, controller, lights, extension cords, props, more extension cords, and more extension cords.   

what kind of lights are you gonna use?  incandescents, leds, or commercial leds.  all of this factors into to what you do and what you spend.

also i agree with gary,  see if you can find a mini somewhere close to you or a member close to you who is willing to let you pick their brain.  alot of the guys here are very helpful.   i will help you out if i can but we're not exactly close.

something you also may think about is the christmas expo that is in gatlinburg, tn this july.  it costs a little but it will be well work the money for what you can learn.  also alot of the vendors have great sales then that could help you out (atleast your wallet).  there are alot of great classes that will help as well. 

pm me if you have any more questions,  i have a few videos on youtube and vimeo.  the quality isn't wonderful but it will give you and idea of what you can do without alot of channels.

good luck and welcome to the insanity.  keep them questions coming.

"PRO Series 16 Channel Starter Package and the advanced license for the software."
Most everybody use the residential instead of the PRO. It'll save you a few $$$ and they do the same things as far as effects

Can I use normal lights such as ones you can buy at a local store like Wal-Mart?
Yes you can. If you use incandescent lights, you'll need to think about power from your house in the future as your display grows. My first display 2 years ago was 2 controllers and ~7000 lights, 60% incan, I needed 2 circuits to run the controllers, Last year I went all LED, 7 controllers and ~10,000 LEDs, and needed 1 circuit. Not only that, But I was constantly outside the first year fixing burnt or loose bulbs. Last year when I went outside, it was to watch the lights or talk to visitors.

Can you give me recommendations or suggestions on what would be a good choice on lights?
On this Forum, Non-LOR vendors are not allowed to advertise. There are some really good vendors out there for lights and most have 1-3 sales per year. My personal opinion is to go LED. They're quite a bit more expensive, but worth every penny.

Would it be better to get a pre-programmed sequence package or one that I have to program the sequence myself? …. How does that work exactly?
I did, and that's how I learned the software. You will need to adapt the pre-made sequences to your display but it is a good start to the learning curve. There are a lot of sites that offer free sequences too. A Google search for Light-O-Rama sequences will find some for you.

Apart from the 16 Chan starter package and the obvious lights, what else would I need to start? … any and all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Extension cords are a must. Buy some or make your own from SPT-1 or SPT-2 zip cord and vampire plugs. You can get about 1,000 feet of extension cords for about $200 using SPT. When you factor in that a store bought one, 15 feet long is around $7-$10, you do the math. Use the store bought ones for the controller to power hook up and SPT for the elements. You can put the controllers next to a big element, such as a Mega tree and cut way down on extension cord use. You will also need Cat5 cables to daisy chain the controllers. The starter package comes with one for the first controller, but at a minimum you'll need another for the second. Have a replacement for each one also. A lot of times, if there's a problem, it can be traced to the Cat5. Read, Read, Read, and read some more. There is a lot of help on these forums and a lot of folks are wonderful for help. You will find an answer to just about every question you have somewhere on this site.

If you have more questions, feel free to send me a PM. If I can't help, I may know which direction to point you in. Welcome to the world of Blinking lights, smiles and warm feelings when you see those smiles. Good luck.

Ron

Oh, and since you're at Ft Bragg, If you are in the Military, Thank you tremendously for your service to this great country and giving us all the right to do what we do.

Edited by Ron Boyd
  • Like 1

Kelly & Ron,

Thank you very much for the extra details; it has definitely helped me to understand a bit better. I'm still not sure of the finer details such as types of lights and stuff but at the moment I'm thinking will be using led.

To start off with I was thinking of trimming the edge of the roof, windows, garage door and a couple of props in the front yard and then take it from there.

As I continue forward into this quest ill be sure to keep the questions coming, thanks again.

Oh, and since you're at Ft Bragg, If you are in the Military, Thank you tremendously for your service to this great country and giving us all the right to do what we do.

You are very welcome!

I did the opposite of you No research at all. I googled christmas lights to music and LOR was the # 1 website I poked around the website bought the partially assembled kit (the one that you just install the cords on) and the starter kit with the LOR dongle and the basic plus software. I got my key downloaded the software and started playing with it. Once you do this it becomes obvious that what the software actually is, is a graphic representation of several light dimmers and a timing grid and is relatively easy to use. the hardware installed easily and just worked and within a week of my decision to purchase my first step toward addiction in this hobby I had 8 strings of whatever lights I found laying around the house blinking on the floor next to my chair for a couple weeks.

After christmas I joined the forums and learned that I had been going about it all wrong or had done just fine as opinions seem to vary widely. I am sure if I had researched more would've over thought it and probably not had a show at all this year.  I am glad I jumped in blind I was very happy with what I was able to do with limited knowledge and look forward to bigger and better next year.

Here are the few tips for a potential newbie from a newbie.

1. just do it call lor order a controller that fits your skill level... if you can solder and want to then order a assemble it kit if not or you just don't want to build your own buy a complete controller. Check out ebay if you decide this isn't for you you will get %90 of your money back. Get the starter kit and I upgraded to the basic plus level as I knew that if I did have fun and enjoy it, it would get bigger the next year and it is cheaper to buy the higher level as part of the starter kit then as upgrades.

2. Audacity this is something I found out about after the fact. I buy mp3s from amazon and they played fine but it seemed like as I was working on sequences the timing would "drift" slightly and the wave form couldn't analyze the songs so I just didn't use it.  Reading the forums after the fact I found out that this was common and easily fixed by converting the file w audacity.

3. Try what you have for lights everything I had laying around from my previous display worked fine with my new lor controller

4. Buy way more extension cords than you think you will need it'll save you some trips to the store (you won't have enough no matter how many you buy so you will be making additional trips to the store)  

5. Enjoy don't obsess I had a couple of timings that I was extremely happy with and several that I felt were sloppy and even sucked a little but the people that saw the show didn't even notice the issues I saw.

6. Buy a fm transmitter so your music comes through the viewers car radios and get prepared for your #1 question.. "how do you make the music come through my car stereo?" not how long does this take to do or how do you make 10,000 lights dance to the music oh no those issues are never as enthralling as how the music gets to their car. I DO NOT Reccomend the whole house transmitter I bought one and it worked, kinda. There are much better units out there and the are mentioned all the time here in the forums and it is up to you to figure out which is the best choice for you.

7. The most important advice I can give you is decide what you are going to put in your display and don't change it. I made three pvc trees, added control to the lights that were my static display, added up light red and green floods, and strobes. Every trip to the big box store I found new things that would be so awesome to add to my display and I managed to avoid purchasing them buy convincing myself to wait buy them on close out and add them next year.  

Welcome to the addiction (I don't care what they say those who claim it is just a hobby are in denial) and enjoy...

Edited by jrh129

I assume you have read all or most of the newbie posts in this forum.  There is also a newbie section on Plant Christmas that may help you if you have not yet looked at it.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/forum/16-newbies/?prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all

Echo the advise about buying the controller  and software packae - download examples, then draw out what you think your house display might look like.

I used a spreadsheet to track and total power usage by channel - I had one page listing all the strings I could find giving their power usage per string. I then used my drawing to figure out how many strings were on each channel  - then balanced total power/by channel/ total controller(s) by location in the yard. I had 1 controller on a side yard feeding 16 channels, and 2 controllers in the front yard (32 channels) feeding the others.

I also had an electrician install GFI outlets where I was placing the controllers outside.

So, before I ran for real, I had a full electrical plan - and I measured it to be accurate after installation  - yea.

Now the first season is history - I am building for next year - using many of the same tools, and will add CCR and maybe some other RGB options - together with many more LED's -

para,

something else i forgot to mention.  take a look at your house and see what you want to light up but also factor in how far you are from the visitors that will see your display.  if you live in a subdivision or somewhere where your house isn't that far from the road that can factor in on what lights you might want to get.   

my display is about 300 ft from where visitors come to see my display.  i put in a parking pad so visitors can get off the street and enjoy the lights without effecting traffic. 

what i'm trying to say is c9 bulbs are really cool and cover a nice area.  they work for me because of the distance but if your house is close to the road its a waste of money to get them just cause you think they look neat.  buy smaller lights that cost less and then you can buy more and have more things covered and blinking.

fm transmitter is a must.  your neighbors aren't gonna mind the lights blinking but they will have a big problem if they have the lights blinking as well as "wizards in winter" playing everytime they open the door.   besides if your neighbors like it then you can always plant the light bug with them and who knows next year you may get 2 houses blinking together.

when you do get your controller (don't go with the pro series.  not needed.) go down stairs and get into the christmas box and get whatever lights you can find and hook them up and start learning how chases work, how fades look, does twinkle work here or does shimmer look better, and what color will look better.   the visualizer is a great tool but its nothing like looking at the actual lights blinking.

and like jrh129 work on a sequence and don't stress about it.  it won't be perfect and most people that see your display probably won't notice.  but the good thing is when you go outside to check and you do notice it will be easy to correct it.

keep plugging away and asking those questions.

I did the opposite of you No research at all. I googled christmas lights to music and LOR was the # 1 website I poked around the website bought the partially assembled kit (the one that you just install the cords on) and the starter kit with the LOR dongle and the basic plus software. I got my key downloaded the software and started playing with it. Once you do this it becomes obvious that what the software actually is, is a graphic representation of several light dimmers and a timing grid and is relatively easy to use. the hardware installed easily and just worked and within a week of my decision to purchase my first step toward addiction in this hobby I had 8 strings of whatever lights I found laying around the house blinking on the floor next to my chair for a couple weeks.

After christmas I joined the forums and learned that I had been going about it all wrong or had done just fine as opinions seem to vary widely. I am sure if I had researched more would've over thought it and probably not had a show at all this year.  I am glad I jumped in blind I was very happy with what I was able to do with limited knowledge and look forward to bigger and better next year.

Here are the few tips for a potential newbie from a newbie.

1. just do it call lor order a controller that fits your skill level... if you can solder and want to then order a assemble it kit if not or you just don't want to build your own buy a complete controller. Check out ebay if you decide this isn't for you you will get %90 of your money back. Get the starter kit and I upgraded to the basic plus level as I knew that if I did have fun and enjoy it, it would get bigger the next year and it is cheaper to buy the higher level as part of the starter kit then as upgrades.

2. Audacity this is something I found out about after the fact. I buy mp3s from amazon and they played fine but it seemed like as I was working on sequences the timing would "drift" slightly and the wave form couldn't analyze the songs so I just didn't use it.  Reading the forums after the fact I found out that this was common and easily fixed by converting the file w audacity.

3. Try what you have for lights everything I had laying around from my previous display worked fine with my new lor controller

4. Buy way more extension cords than you think you will need it'll save you some trips to the store (you won't have enough no matter how many you buy so you will be making additional trips to the store)  

5. Enjoy don't obsess I had a couple of timings that I was extremely happy with and several that I felt were sloppy and even sucked a little but the people that saw the show didn't even notice the issues I saw.

6. Buy a fm transmitter so your music comes through the viewers car radios and get prepared for your #1 question.. "how do you make the music come through my car stereo?" not how long does this take to do or how do you make 10,000 lights dance to the music oh no those issues are never as enthralling as how the music gets to their car. I DO NOT Reccomend the whole house transmitter I bought one and it worked, kinda. There are much better units out there and the are mentioned all the time here in the forums and it is up to you to figure out which is the best choice for you.

7. The most important advice I can give you is decide what you are going to put in your display and don't change it. I made three pvc trees, added control to the lights that were my static display, added up light red and green floods, and strobes. Every trip to the big box store I found new things that would be so awesome to add to my display and I managed to avoid purchasing them buy convincing myself to wait buy them on close out and add them next year.  

Welcome to the addiction (I don't care what they say those who claim it is just a hobby are in denial) and enjoy...

I really couldn't add anything to this. Hes right on track. Last year was my first year....I went with 2 controllers, bought a couple pre-done sequences, got ALOT people to send me others (our group is very giving) and used what lights I had. I did limit all my new light purchases to LED. Glad I made that call.

I cannot over state how much extension cords drove me crazy last year. I bought SOOOO much more than I had anticipated. In the future Ill make my own. But I have more money in cords than I do in technology.

Honestly? I'd start slowly and have fun. Its not a spring its a marathon. And every year new stuff emerges and costs go down.

Thank you all so very much for putting up with my very basic questions.

I have taken in every bit of advise everyone has offered. So far i have purchased the basic residential package with the advanced licence as well as a FM transmitter that many people have talked about on the forums.

I have been reading tutorials on all kinds of things, from lights, schematics, building structures/props to power and many other things .... i know im going to be very busy trying to go through all this info lol.

I have been messing around with the software. At first it seemed pretty overwhelming so i searched for some free sequences and played around with them. I still dont have a full understanding of the software so ill be hitting the manuals and tutorials this weekend. What i was able to do was create a "picture" and change a couple of things within the free sequence to portray a basic set up of my house and yard (that alone got be excited and wanted to do more). Once i played it on the computer (still waiting for the hardware to be delivered) i felt like a little kid again, full of smiles,  giggles and excitement.

I only purchased the 1 16 channel controler (that comes with the package) but i can already see ill probably be getting another one real soon. I think my main focus at the moment is replaced my regular lights with led ones and working on sequences.

One thing that did get me thinking was the fact that once i set up my display, for all intensive purposes it is static and will not move. So i will have to come up with a display that is flexable enough that it enables me to build sequences around it or at least modify others. I dont know why but that didnt really dawn on me until i started messing with the software.

I tried to attach the file but i think it was too big. Ill have to find a way to upload it somewhere so i can share it with you all. if anyone would be interested in helping me get started with a few sequences i would be very greatful.

Thank you all again for the help and support!

Edited by Para

http://www.highcountrylights.com/links/free-sequences/38-free-sequences.html

ftp://199.72.55.209

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B86vzf3chl0oTjdPRjRNa1oyVzA/edit?pli=1

Here's 3 different sites that have a ton of sequences that folks have shared.

If you'll send me your e-mail address, I'll send you my 2011, 32 channel sequences when I get home tonight.

"I only purchased the 1 16 channel controler (that comes with the package) but i can already see ill probably be getting another one real soon."

Told you it was addicting, didn't I? :)  :)

• Like 2

Awesome, thank you.

lol yes im already trying to convince the wife to raise my budget lol ... I know i dont see the full scope of it just yet, but as everyone has said i already see that this is a second job!

Hi, Para !  Roy here. All these guys have super advice for you in my case i started with a package deal, controller ( LOR 160xW ), a RS485 adapter, cat 5 cable,and software (1.6.9) all this in 2007. I put all this together " per the instructions manual" hooked up some light strings i already had and played with it. If you run into problems the LOR help desk is a great source, pus this forum. One step at a time, the only thing i would change is i would probably get the residential package, not the commercial version, cheaper. The package can aways be expanded as you become more comfortable with you knowledge base. :)

Welcome to the world of blinking and flashing lights. Like the others have said, go slow and build up as you become more comfortable.

I thought I'd give everyone an update since you have been super helpful and supportive.

Over the past few days i have fallen off the face of the earth because i received my kit in the mail. Ive been so engrossed in the lights and building/modifying sequences not thing has existed. I have modified one sequence to fit my display

I want to get a few more done then start on some Halloween sequences. Ive noticed that there are not really a lot of 16ch sequences out there ... I'm guessing because when people get started they immediately want more they purchase more controllers and don't stick with the 16 channel for too long lol ..... I do plan on getting another controller but until then ill be working on some 16 channel stuff. After i get used to modifying others, ill start making my own, regardless ill post a list of the 16 channel sequences so other can use them too :)

Also, I've started to purchase some more lights, strictly LED at the moment. I want to get into the CCR, but I'm thinking that will be next years project. I'm also looking into making my own extension cords :)

Thank you all very much for the support and guidance, I'm sure ill have more questions soon.

Para,

Good thing you are planning on using LED's. Don't think post housing would appreciate you blowing fuses all the time....or adding additional amp service to be able to use incan lights!!!