Light-O-Rama Forums

Mixing DMX with LOR Controllers

mrduncan

I’ve been playing with some DMX devices for a couple of months now and have begun to incorporate DMX into my LOR sequences.  I don’t recall while reading through many LOR forum threads whether if have to setup my LOR controllers to operate in a DMX mode or whether I can run both DMX and LOR at the same time.  My DMX interface is a DMX King Ultra DMX Micro.  If I have to run the LOR controller in a DMX mode, do I lose any LOR functionality?

I would appreciate any guidance in the area…….

They should be 2 separate networks. I run my regular controllers and on a separate dongle, run DMX. No need to do anything to your regular controllers.

It sounds like you have both - a DMX controller and a LOR controller. In this case you can connect both devices to your computer and run in a mixed configuration. The LOR protocol has a few advantages when using effects like shimmer or twinkle however you need dual wiring.

You can happily run LOR controllers in a DMX universe with LOR but if using LOR S3 then you need the advance version to get DMX output

You will loose the sparkle and twinkle feature which is hardware driven through the LOR network.

Take a look at this presentation that shows how DMX and LOR controllers can be mixed into the same DMX network

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1139.msg9601.html#msg9601

You can also use an iDMX, and won't have to run 2 seperate networks. That's what I use and it works great for splitting the LOR/DMX protocols and I don't lose any LOR functionality. I'm know there are many other options available, but this is what works for my situation.

I have 5 LOR CTB16PC controllers, an iDMX1000, 5 Renard SS24 controllers with DMX software, several other DMX controlers (AC and DC)

I use LOR S3.  It sees 6 LOR controllers (5 16 channels, 1 512 channel), and my RPM Entec-Pro compatible DMX dongle.  I set both networks up in the Preferences-> Network preferences settings.  Then I just have a whole boatload of channels to use.

• The topic was locked