Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it better?

shfr26

Better or not?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are the forums better with the admin being more involved?

In the last year or so, do you feel the forums are better or not with the increased involvement of admin attemping to make it better? NO negative comments please, just your vote .

Edited by shfr26

Sorry, but you're missing an answer, as the one I would choose would be "somewhat", it's getting there and it has been a little better, but just don't think it's quite there just yet.

Sorry if that is taken as a "negative" comment, no negativity intended.

This is a very subjective question because it all depends on peoples experiences with the forum in the past as this will determine how they percieve these changes as each persons is affected differently based on many factors. You may have well just asked a question on politics or religion because these types of questions and polls are always fueled with lots of emotion and serve to not be constructive in a online forum environment.

But looks like the early leader is in favour of the changes

Edited by edvas69

Well,  I guess I asked the wrong question then, sorry.   But I do see most people are not leaving a comment and just voting. 

I did not start this for a debate, just to see what people thought.  Lets just let the poll determine what people feel and maybe, Dan and company can make a decision if it's going in the right direction.  I feft a poll would be the best way to do it. Is there anyway that Someone from LOR can change this so you can not see who voted which way and lock out any comments??  If so, please do so.

Thank you.

Locking the thread (thus preventing comments per your request) locks the poll as well.

Changing the poll to anonymous isn't possible from a technical standpoint. (Meaning it's software related in the reasons, nothing more, nothing less.)

Well th

Locking the thread (thus preventing comments per your request) locks the poll as well.

Changing the poll to anonymous isn't possible from a technical standpoint. (Meaning it's software related in the reasons, nothing more, nothing less.)

Well that did not work out so well, if it was locked, I could not reply.  Just let it go as was, and lets see what happens.  Thanks.

This is a very subjective question because it all depends on peoples experiences with the forum in the past as this will determine how they percieve these changes as each persons is affected differently based on many factors. ..

But looks like the early leader is in favour of the changes

That is true, and one reason why this won't be an accurate poll is because there are a large number of people (many long-time members) that mostly would have voted "no" but they have left or no longer post here (or were banned :o).  Therefore I am not sure one can conclude a whole lot from the results. 

I've been getting a little bored with this forum, not as entertaining as it used to be.  The DIYC forum is very friendly and informative, but no consistant way of purchasing items, gotta wait for group buys and they have limits.  Technology and software is advancing so fast, it's hard to keep up.  It would be nice to hear what LOR is got up their sleeve for this year because the competition is getting very interesting.

Is that why you did not vote Orv?

*** WARNING - The answer may be consindered long winded! ***

Now that the topic is now unlocked I can answer that question, yes, that is why I did not cast a vote, to me there is not a "yes", "no" or "no difference" answer here, my answer lies between yes and no, so if there had been a choice to choose "Somewhat", which to me, maybe not others, would imply there has been some strides in making the forum better yes, but there are still some, that many times slip through the cracks that get missed, and if you happen to report a post you find has insulted someone, including yourself, or an attack, bullying, belittling or offensive in some way, you end up in moderator timeout.  So that is not a good thing.   

Just let me give you a little background here, I ran several forums over the course of my internet travels and have moderated many others, and I must say I, nor any of my moderators ever put a user/member of those forums in the mod que because they reported on a post.   The only time that would happen, and yes, it has happened here from time to time, if two or more members were getting extrmely offensive, because they tried at first to defend themselves from the initial attack and it escalated into an all-out brawl on the forum, then we would decide by looking through the thread which user/member to put in the mod que, NOT both, as why should the person that was being attacked, bullied. insulted, or belittled be punished for attempting to defend from such an attack. but when it really got heated up and was starting to escalate, then we would suspend a user/member for a few days, most often not more than a month suspension at maximum, or even ban from the forum if, and/or when they came back and started on someone or the same person again,  But the person{s} that were being attacked, bullied, insulted or belittled were not placed there, only the true offender was, but depending on the defenders post, occasionally BOTH did get put in the mod que, or suspended for a time from the forums, but this was rare.  Moderators and forum owners must be impartial to all sides, even if you can't stand a specific member or user, you MUST remain impartial, however, in some cases I feel that is not done here.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is LOR's forum and they will run it as they see fit and they will work it however they wish to do so, I have actually written Dan and tried to PM Mods here with suggestions from my own experiences, wether those experiences amount to anything or not to try and help to make things work better here, that I can not say.

Again, THESE ARE the LOR Forums and they will run it as they see fit and unfortunately punish both parties, the offender and the defender most often get put in the mod que, although personally I really have not seen it work that way, because there are times I've been in the mod que over reporting a post that I never even made a comment or response too that attacked, insulted, bullied or belittled me, and I still saw the offender was posting away just fine, but any post I made had to be, and go through a mod before it was posted.  Yet I did nothing more than REPORT an attack, bullying, insulting, belittling, or offensive post and get put in the mod que, that I do find quite ludicrous.

So that's why my vote was not to vote with the current answers available, because I feel the forums are definitely heading in the correct direction, but their still needs to be quite a bit more guidance and understanding on how to handle reported posts, as opposed to posts/topics that have actually generated uncalled for responses from either one or both sides.

Just remember, you asked why I didn't vote, and now you have your answer.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is LOR's forum and they will run it as they see fit and they will work it however they wish to do so, I have actually written Dan and tried to PM Mods here with suggestions from my own experiences, wether those experiences amount to anything or not to try and help to make things work better here, that I can not say.

So are you basically saying that it is your fault that the forums have changed so much?

IMO…….

I had seen this mentioned on other forums numerious times as to how abusive the people were here on LOR.

the recent intervening of the Mods may bring more people back who were actually not posting

because of the bullying, insulting, and belittling of their questions or replys that was going on here

on LOR forums from the so called old timers.

*** WARNING - The answer may be consindered long winded! ***

Now that the topic is now unlocked I can answer that question, yes, that is why I did not cast a vote, to me there is not a "yes", "no" or "no difference" answer here, my answer lies between yes and no, so if there had been a choice to choose "Somewhat", which to me, maybe not others, would imply there has been some strides in making the forum better yes, but there are still some, that many times slip through the cracks that get missed, and if you happen to report a post you find has insulted someone, including yourself, or an attack, bullying, belittling or offensive in some way, you end up in moderator timeout.  So that is not a good thing.   

Just let me give you a little background here, I ran several forums over the course of my internet travels and have moderated many others, and I must say I, nor any of my moderators ever put a user/member of those forums in the mod que because they reported on a post.   The only time that would happen, and yes, it has happened here from time to time, if two or more members were getting extrmely offensive, because they tried at first to defend themselves from the initial attack and it escalated into an all-out brawl on the forum, then we would decide by looking through the thread which user/member to put in the mod que, NOT both, as why should the person that was being attacked, bullied. insulted, or belittled be punished for attempting to defend from such an attack. but when it really got heated up and was starting to escalate, then we would suspend a user/member for a few days, most often not more than a month suspension at maximum, or even ban from the forum if, and/or when they came back and started on someone or the same person again,  But the person{s} that were being attacked, bullied, insulted or belittled were not placed there, only the true offender was, but depending on the defenders post, occasionally BOTH did get put in the mod que, or suspended for a time from the forums, but this was rare.  Moderators and forum owners must be impartial to all sides, even if you can't stand a specific member or user, you MUST remain impartial, however, in some cases I feel that is not done here.

Again, THESE ARE the LOR Forums and they will run it as they see fit and unfortunately punish both parties, the offender and the defender most often get put in the mod que, although personally I really have not seen it work that way, because there are times I've been in the mod que over reporting a post that I never even made a comment or response too that attacked, insulted, bullied or belittled me, and I still saw the offender was posting away just fine, but any post I made had to be, and go through a mod before it was posted.  Yet I did nothing more than REPORT an attack, bullying, insulting, belittling, or offensive post and get put in the mod que, that I do find quite ludicrous.

So that's why my vote was not to vote with the current answers available, because I feel the forums are definitely heading in the correct direction, but their still needs to be quite a bit more guidance and understanding on how to handle reported posts, as opposed to posts/topics that have actually generated uncalled for responses from either one or both sides.

Just remember, you asked why I didn't vote, and now you have your answer.

Orville,

Can you elaborate on this? I am not quite sure what you are trying to say? 

Thanks in advance...

Now that the topic is now unlocked I can answer that question,

Disclosure: The thread was locked for about 60 seconds yesterday while I verified that locking a thread would also prevent further votes. Seems you might have tried to reply during that 60 second time span yesterday.

Sorry.

So are you basically saying that it is your fault that the forums have changed so much?

No, I did not say that at all.   Seems the point is contiually missed.

OP Reply has been deleted by OP, due to taken in the wrong context, which is why I am leaving this thread and won't be watching it any further.

Edited by Orville