Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 Sequence Editor slowing down with more channels?

Val Bennett

My sequence editor seems to react slower lately since I added 24 CCB strings, 2 more CCR's, and 3 more 16-channel controllers. I now have a total of 17 of the 16-channel controllers, 12 CCR's, and 24 CCB strings (12 controllers). Am I just getting too many channels, or do I need to re-install the software? Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't think it makes much difference what the computer specs are.

5800+ is a lot of channels.

Slow comes with the territory.

If you can accept the risk, try disabling undo. (if you have not already) Not tracking all the actions to undo can help speed things up.

That is a ton of channels, well almost 3 tons.   Slow does start to show up the more you add into the system.   The computer can make a huge difference.  A few of us are running some hardcore gear but still seeing pauses or crashes without certain work arounds taken care of.  The Undo trick helps a lot but for me I have to learn to save under many names as Ive in the past gone in and made changes and used undo as they didnt show how I wanted.

I don't think it makes much difference what the computer specs are.

5800+ is a lot of channels.

Slow comes with the territory.

true but I was thinking be may be running an older PC or laptop

I have about 6,000 channels ruining on a quad 4 With 12 gigs of ram. I too noticed a bad delay. I decided to break the big channel props out of the main sequence. Then i put in channels in the main sequence that call the animation sequence as needed.

Now my pixel tree sequences are only 20 seconds long but run at whatever time i turn on to run in the main sequence.... no delay

• Like 1

I plan on expanding my shows soon. I hope I don't run into that problem. I'm running an old Alien Ware xp machine with duel video cards and is over clocked. It seems to be fast and have very little trouble now. Hopefully, it will stay that way. I just put in a new motherboard and processor after the coolant hose broke and burnt up the motherboard. I my have to upgrade computers. But I can't afford new LOR equipment and computer. LOL!!!!

I was doing some adding of devices yesterday, and then converting 450 channels at a time to RGB, and that was really a slow process, much longer than it was a couple weeks ago. I know LOR has nothing to do with that process, but it was oddly slow to do. Intel I5 processor, 4 GIG, 500gig harddrive. Perhaps more memory, but I'm not using much of it.

My sequencing computer is an Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 G ram, 64-bit Vista. I wonder how badly the actual light show will perform on a  slower laptop? Maybe I will have to make sure I only have half of the lights on at any one time.

Thanks for all  your comments, I didn't know for sure if I was getting a little over the edge. Maybe it's time to quit adding more channels!

I was doing some adding of devices yesterday, and then converting 450 channels at a time to RGB, and that was really a slow process, much longer than it was a couple weeks ago. I know LOR has nothing to do with that process, but it was oddly slow to do. Intel I5 processor, 4 GIG, 500gig harddrive. Perhaps more memory, but I'm not using much of it.

Was it fast in the beginning and then slowed down?

I had to add 26 DMX universes this year and convert each one to 170RGB channels and delete the remaining 2. In the beginning, it was no sweat. Towards the end it was 10min to convert the last batch. i7 core sandy bridge 16gb RAM.

LOR memory ceiling is 2GB as of now(Unless you are daring).......I agree with WayneKremer! S64 anyone? I like that name.

Edited by thebaronn
  • Like 1

I have about 6,000 channels ruining on a quad 4 With 12 gigs of ram. I too noticed a bad delay. I decided to break the big channel props out of the main sequence. Then i put in channels in the main sequence that call the animation sequence as needed.

Now my pixel tree sequences are only 20 seconds long but run at whatever time i turn on to run in the main sequence.... no delay

How are you doing this?

Right click on your last channel, choose Insert channel below.

Click on the new channel that was just created

In the device type dropdown change to Sequence.

Point to a sequence.

Lets say the sequence you choose was an animated sequence that for 1 second chased your mini trees from left to right....

You could in the parent sequence run this animated sequence for any time period. Example: you want the  mini trees to go from left to right 5 times in 5 seconds. you would turn the the new channel for the 5 seconds you want... Your 1 second animation would run for 5 seconds.   And if you only wanted it for 1/2 second, then turn it on for a half a second. 

The parent sequence calls the child sequence for the time period  you specified

Try it!

• Like 1

A couple years ago I was at 272 channels,  but now with RGB I've jumped to 3800 and 4500 the last couple years and in 2013 I'll be in the 20k-30k channel range.

I think the biggest problem in LOR S3 is the use of XML (very verbose) and not a  good way to store this amount of information --- very large files equates to very

slow loading.  LOR still ran pretty fast for me this year, but the load and saves are awful ... made worse with the compression ... but again, the root cause IMHO is

the use of XML for the sequence data.

The software better be able to handle 100,000 channels without 5 minute load times very soon, IMHO.

Maybe it's time to quit adding more channels!

:o  Nahhh you have to keep adding!

LOR has yet to let me down with releasing upgrades to fix the issues or add e1.31 support etc. Because of this I have faith the out of memory issues, load times, save times, will be addressed and because Dan said they would in another thread. He's never given me any reason to not believe him. So I'll mess with hardware and be patient until summer before I worry to much about it.

"Speeding forward, future hopping, always dreaming never stopping..."